Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

a triathlon just showed up but it comes too soon - no time for train for it
Quote | Reply
I really want to do a full triathlon (swim-bike-run). However,

no race schedule means no motivation for me for train
anti-epidemic measures mean not able for me to plan a proper training season, and races aren't announced until close to the date

and now, I have just got a race announcement (swim-bike-run) happening in 7 weeks, but it is unlikely that I can train for 75 km bike and 25 km run in such a short period with no prior experience in biking (I haven't even got a race bike yet as I'm emigrating soon and don't want to buy one unless there is a race, in such case I will buy a second-hand bike) and 10 months off running (since my last registered race was cancelled due to pandemic) after running a 1:42 half marathon in December 2019.

If there are more than 3 months between the announcement and the race, I may be able to do it, as I trained for my first half marathon in 3 months time after an extended period off running. But 7 weeks is definitely not enough. I have asked my triathlon coach about this so I decided to skip it for my health.

I'm interested how many people here have signed up and done triathlons in short notice. What is your shortest period between your race was announced and you actually raced it, how long was your race and how did it go?
Last edited by: miklcct: Jan 1, 21 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: a triathlon just showed up but it comes too soon - no time for train for it [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
I really want to do a full triathlon (swim-bike-run). However,

no race schedule means no motivation for me for train
anti-epidemic measures mean not able for me to plan a proper training season, and races aren't announced until close to the date

and now, I have just got a race announcement (swim-bike-run) happening in 7 weeks, but it is unlikely that I can train for 75 km bike and 25 km run in such a short period with no prior experience in biking (I haven't even got a race bike yet as I'm emigrating soon and don't want to buy one unless there is a race, in such case I will buy a second-hand bike) and 10 months off running (since my last registered race was cancelled due to pandemic).

If there are more than 3 months between the announcement and the race, I may be able to do it, as I trained for my first half marathon in 3 months time after an extended period off running. But 7 weeks is definitely not enough. I have asked my triathlon coach about this so I decided to skip it for my health.

I'm interested how many people here have signed up and done triathlons in short notice. What is your shortest period between your race was announced and you actually raced it, how long was your race and how did it go?

As long as you are in reasonable shape, 7 weeks of training before the race is very doable, just don't have high expectations. People run marathons off zero training, though that's definitely not advisable!

I did my first triathlon (olympic distance) off pretty much just run training and a bit of swimming, but no biking at all. As long as the course is not too hilly the bike should be fine if you go at a comfortable pace. The run would be the biggest worry, but in 7 weeks a decent amount of fitness can be built up. This is assuming you are not terribly out of shape, but I've seen your other posts about your swim training, so assuming you have been keeping this up.

I say go for it, you will be always be able to find excuses not to do something.
Quote Reply
Re: a triathlon just showed up but it comes too soon - no time for train for it [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say pass just because you literally behave no bike, next to no run experience, and it'll be more a painful slogfest than fun and will be a rough intro to tri going in unprepared.

Still, Id recommend you do this race 1000x over your original plan of swimming the english channel!!
Quote Reply
Re: a triathlon just showed up but it comes too soon - no time for train for it [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here we go again! Let’s see how. He ignore advice this time.

“Unmotivated to train due to covid.”

“Signed up for English Channel with no experience.”

“I can’t get faster at swimming despite doing nothing about it.”

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it.
Bags of time.
I've a 21.5 mile trail run in 2.5 months. I've done feckall running in 4 months (except a 5k today). And not a lot since the same event last year before covid fhecked the world up. I'm 20 (maybe 30 😖) lbs over what I should be. I'm still entered.
Excuses are forever.
You shouldn't die on this (or the chance is actually a whole lot lower than in the Channel).

Also if people wait until they are fully fit to race there will be no races TO race as the organisers will have gone bust - many are on the brink after 2020. If they aren't supported we'll have no independent races left and will only have overpriced M-dot as an option.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Jan 1, 21 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first tri (oly) on a whim, I think I signed up two weeks before the race. I was running a bit, doing martial arts and swimming occasionally. The tri was my first ever open water swim. I swam it in a surfer’s wetsuit! It went okay, I paced myself pretty well and had lots of fun (ten years later I am still hooked). My oldest son did a tri (sprint distance) with me last year on absolutely no tri training. He rode a crappy old mountain bike in the race. He had a blast.

If your expectations and pacing strategy are reasonable, seven weeks is plenty of time to prepare and have lots of fun. I also think this sounds like a much better (safer) plan than the Channel swim.

Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: a triathlon just showed up but it comes too soon - no time for train for it [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:

As long as you are in reasonable shape, 7 weeks of training before the race is very doable, just don't have high expectations. People run marathons off zero training, though that's definitely not advisable!

I did my first triathlon (olympic distance) off pretty much just run training and a bit of swimming, but no biking at all. As long as the course is not too hilly the bike should be fine if you go at a comfortable pace. The run would be the biggest worry, but in 7 weeks a decent amount of fitness can be built up. This is assuming you are not terribly out of shape, but I've seen your other posts about your swim training, so assuming you have been keeping this up.

I say go for it, you will be always be able to find excuses not to do something.

Running marathons off zero training?! That's insane. How badly do they hurt afterwards?

I ran my first (and last) half marathon in 1:42 with about 3 months of training. I felt I hadn't trained enough and it hurt for a few days afterwards.

I currently have just swim training, a significant period off running and no biking at all. I asked my triathlon coach about this race and he thinks that the chance of injury will be too high to do it in 7 weeks. It's the run which will injure me, but not the swim and bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are paying somebody to be your triathlon coach then I would listen to what that person is telling you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:

Running marathons off zero training?! That's insane. How badly do they hurt afterwards?

I did my 1st marathon with no training. I hurt like a mofo for a week after.

My wife was pissed because she had trained for a few months and bailed. I signed up on a whim 2 weeks before the race.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.
Last edited by: Bumble Bee: Jan 2, 21 14:50
Quote Reply
Re: a triathlon just showed up but it comes too soon - no time for train for it [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
If you are paying somebody to be your triathlon coach then I would listen to what that person is telling you.

I'm listening to him now. I am just curious how many people do triathlons in short notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

I'm listening to him now. I am just curious how many people do triathlons in short notice.
In the Canadian winter of 1988/89 I was working in the ski town of Fernie,BC and at the end of each season they have a race called the "Powder-Peddle-Paddle" which involved a ski boot run uphill to our downhill skis,a ski down the mountain to the village,a bike ride into town,a kayak paddle down the river back to the ski hill entrance and a final run up to the main lodge.I had done absolutely no bike training,kayaking or running and finished 2nd overall in the solo division.There were only two of us in the solo division.I was drunk for the next few days so I don't know if I was sore or not.
Later that year I was working as a gym instructor at Fitness World in Victoria.BC and a couple of weeks before the Royal Victoria Marathon held in October every year I had a "discussion" with some meatheads in the free weight section of the club about the benefits of circuit training and we ended up betting on whether I cold run the marathon without any actual run training ,just the fitness from the gym circuit and the stationary bike. I did one training run to test the new pair of running shoes I got for the marathon and that was it.I finished in 3:50'ish. At work a few days later an old lady had to help me off the floor after I showed her how to do some abdominal exercises.
I won Ultraman Canada in 1994 with 30hrs notice on my Ironman training but I've bored enough people here with that story already..
Quote Reply
Re: a triathlon just showed up but it comes too soon - no time for train for it [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
I won Ultraman Canada in 1994 with 30hrs notice on my Ironman training but I've bored enough people here with that story already..

That's normal. You are on Ironman training when you ran that race. Similar to those who run a marathon while training for another half marathon. Tough but still doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

That's normal. You are on Ironman training when you ran that race. Similar to those who run a marathon while training for another half marathon. Tough but still doable.
Given your lack of Ironman and Ultra-endurance experience I am not sure you understand what normal is nor what was involved in that particular Ultraman.
Quote Reply
Re: a triathlon just showed up but it comes too soon - no time for train for it [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
miklcct wrote:

If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.
Nothing more to say then this.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
miklcct wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

In the Canadian winter of 1988/89 I was working in the ski town of Fernie,BC and at the end of each season they have a race called the "Powder-Peddle-Paddle" which involved a ski boot run uphill to our downhill skis,a ski down the mountain to the village,a bike ride into town,a kayak paddle down the river back to the ski hill entrance and a final run up to the main lodge.I had done absolutely no bike training,kayaking or running and finished 2nd overall in the solo division.There were only two of us in the solo division.I was drunk for the next few days so I don't know if I was sore or not.
Later that year I was working as a gym instructor at Fitness World in Victoria.BC and a couple of weeks before the Royal Victoria Marathon held in October every year I had a "discussion" with some meatheads in the free weight section of the club about the benefits of circuit training and we ended up betting on whether I cold run the marathon without any actual run training ,just the fitness from the gym circuit and the stationary bike. I did one training run to test the new pair of running shoes I got for the marathon and that was it.I finished in 3:50'ish. At work a few days later an old lady had to help me off the floor after I showed her how to do some abdominal exercises.

This post made me laugh out loud. Where is the thread where you tell the story of the Ultraman? I’d be interested to read it. And by the way, winning that race is definitely not a “normal” accomplishment. I live in BC and know about that race so kudos to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t do it. You’ll get some sort of tendinitis. Guaranteed.

It depends how long you’ve been doing this and training habits. Some people here train 10-20hohrs a week regardless if there is a race or not. I workout 2 hours a day. A sprint or Olympic I would do very well on with short notice. HIM and longer I could do it right now but it wouldn’t be my best race without specific long training sessions.
Quote Reply