Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
tyson vs ali
Quote | Reply
both in their prime. who would win? my money is on tyson within 4 rounds. knockout.
Quote Reply
Re: tyson vs ali [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talk about OT... move it to the other room...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ALI!!!!!!! Hes too smart for Tyson.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: tyson vs ali [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm assuming this is a troll. Anyone who knows anything about boxing wouldn't ask this question. tyson is a joke compared to Ali and half a dozen other former champs.
Quote Reply
Re: tyson vs ali [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tyson in his prime yo. Around '88. Knockout within 4 rounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ali was a boxer, Tyson is a brawler.

Ali would win because he was quicker, faster, and more intelligent. He would have Tyson psyched out long before they even entered the ring.

No contest.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd agree with Tyson in his prime as being the best ever. However, that was only for a very short period in time. Ali was more than just a boxer. He was a significant social icon of his era.

Tyson lost to some tomatoe can named Kevin McBride on the weekend. Wasn't supposed to happen. Tyson is done. A truly tragic figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I don't know much about boxing, but that Tyson guy is rather remarkable. He is extremely large and seems impervious to impact.

Perhaps the best strategy for defeating him would be an anti-tank missile.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fulla,

that's ridiculous, yo. you obvioulsy don't know much about boxing. but you can't know everything about eveything. I, for instance, know nothing about biochemical enginering. I'm sure you're a swell guy nevertheless.
Last edited by: skid marks: Jun 15, 05 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: tyson vs ali [scout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tyson packed more power than Ali EVER did. Power = Ability to produce strength at speed (or somethink). Ali may have had more boxing 'smarts', but he wouldn't have been able to weather Tyson's assault.

Yeah, this is what brought hthis topic up for me cerveloguy. Tyson in his prime was frigging amazing. Dropped just about everyone in first round.
Quote Reply
Re: tyson vs ali [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Perhaps the best strategy for defeating him would be an anti-tank missile. "

Actually, he's lost his last two fights. TKO'd both times. Of course Tyson is now 39 and past his prime as a boxer.

The#1 heavyweight in the world at the moment is Vitali Klitschko.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And what do you know about boxing? Just because someone is a 'better boxer' than someone else doesn't mean 'the brawler' has no chance of beating him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent a summer watching and rewatching all videos of Tyson as far as his defeat to Douglas in Tokyo in 1990. At that time people were talking about him being the greatest heavyweight, ever. He was that good and seemed to have no weaknesses.

Since then, Tyson has crumbled as a person, while the Ali persona has gotten stronger and stronger. It's hard to answer that question without bearing in mind the people they have both become. Ali, admirable, Tyson, deplorable.

Ok, as boxers pure and simple? Ali never banged that hard as a heavyweight, and Tyson in his prime would have taken some punishment getting in but few heavyweights hit as hard as Tyson did. Iron Mike would have destroyed Ali. Honestly - ask any serious commentator this question and you will get that answer. Tyson circa 88/89 was an unstoppable force.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"And what do you know about boxing?" Dude, chill. I didn't know your ego was this heavily invested in the topic. Why ask a question if you already know the answer you want?

My point was this: Ali was faster in the fists and the feet. My opinion is that Tyson would be chasing Ali around the ring trying to lay down a pounding, while all the while being tired out. Then Ali would strike.

Also implicit in my answer was the fact that we are comparing two completely different styles. It's like making the endless Lance v. Eddy comparisons. Different athletes, different times, different strategies.

Quote Reply
Re: tyson vs ali [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeap. thats the prob when people think about this fight now. they think of what tyson has become rather than what he was. wasn't he 18 when he won the world title? if that isn't pure unadulterated raw talent (and frigging obvious power) i dunno what is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

clearly, there are a lot of things you don't know .. about boxing for starters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know nothing about boxing because i have this opinion? care to tell me why?

tyson punched at least as fast with a whole lot more power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw the Tyson "beyond the glory" part II on ESPN Sunday. He is a scary, scary guy. Reminds me of a aggresively trained pit bull. I agree with Kiwi Pat as well. Tyson in his prime was ridiculously athletic coupled with strength and speed.

I feel bad for the guy. He is never going to get out of the debt he is in at the moment. He's done. I recommend both Beyond the Glory's on him if you have a chance. ESPN will be replaying I'm sure.

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Fulla,

that wasn't a very nice thing for me to say. Sorry. The smart ass in me took over. Look, boxing is kind of a hobby of mine. I've studied, read, watched more fighters and fights than a person probably should. I could write 5,000 words here on why Ali could knock the crap out of tyson in his prime but, well, I just don't feel like arguing about this with someone who -- and I don't mean this to be mean -- probably doesn't know half of what I know about boxing. Like I said, I'm sure you;re a swell guy and if you're ever in Miami let me know and I'll buy you a beer and we can argue in person and I'll unload all the useless boxing knowledge I have on you and you still think tyson is the all-time best. well, that'll be fine.

SM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Tyson is indeed a sad figure. a truely disturbed person who ya just hope can find a way to find some peace for himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw Ali deal with a larger and meaner fighter in George Foreman. Foreman would be a good comparison to Tyson in his prime. I think Ali would win the fight with Tyson but he would physically pay doing it.

Re: tyson vs ali [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Bingo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foreman was so awsome. What a giant powerful animal. There is no way I though Ali could win the fight. But he did and Ali was even somewhat past his prime then.

Re: tyson vs ali [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, as a boxing fan (I had a friend on the U.S. Boxing squad around 1981? and a collegiate buddy who was a Gold Glove Winner), I loved Ali, but Tyson was....well...truly a "wrecking ball" (insert Micky's voice over from Rocky here ;-)

Ali would have tried to dance, tried to jab, but so did some others. Eventually, Tyson's ego did him in. I watched that fight with Buster Douglas (I may even have it on tape), and to this day still consider it the greatest upset in sports history (even greater than the U.S. Olympic Hockey Team). Tyson, in his prime, was indestructable.

Unfortunately, that was many years ago, and as displayed, he is nowhere near the fighter he once was (nor does he have the confidence, momentum, and fear in his opponents).

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next