Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

track work outs
Quote | Reply
After dealing with a frustrating cervical disc issue for a year, I am finally getting back into racing w/ my eye on 70.3 Austin. Have a few oly dist races this summer to prep...and want to work on speed. Any suggestions for some track workouts for a speed/track newbie? Most of my racing over the past 3 yrs has been IM distance, so speed wasn't my focus...any recommended workouts?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: track work outs [motrigal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the workouts that people will post will be variations of what has either worked for them, worked for someone else, or something they have been told to do. Speed can be many different things, so I want to clarify it before I talk about it. Speed to a 100m runner would be TOP END over that distance. Explosive. Turnover. Starts. Technique. Power. Now the speed needed in a 10k is different, BUT still running the 10k at the relative "top end". That's where the speed defers. The top end would be limited by your economy and your physiological systems. Being able to run top end for 30-45, 50, 60 minutes (sorry don't know what your time is :) ) Is functionally unique to the event. You must train for that. In my opinion, threshold workouts, will be the most "beneficial" because of the high returns/low risk. Again, in my opinion, doing repeat 400's with long rest would work on lactate tolerance, but would tax the body and wouldn't focus on your main goal.....running a 10k. In a simple way, mimic what a 10k would be and gradually raise the intensity (duration and pace) to where you are preparing yourself to run at a certain speed. People may start off with 3 by x minutes at threshold with x minutes recovery and build to more reps/longer reps with less rest. You can adapt that to the track by doing a specific track workout, but the key is the pace you run the workout. Hit your pace and that is all you can ask. Too many people race track workouts and miss the purpose. If you are doing a ladder workout 400-800-1200-1600-2000...you may start out the 400 faster than you should be going and burn out at the end. You should be able to finish the track workout, BUT it should be tough, not impossible. Unless that is the goal of the workout. I know this all seems vague, but it's also a very personal thing. If you have a specific question, you can shoot me a pm and i can do my best to answer.

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: track work outs [motrigal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(2x200m, 1x400m) x 5

8 x 400m

5x1mi @ threshold pace

really basic...but that's what i'm starting off with. read 'daniels running formula'. good book.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply