Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tip for those of you running on slippery roads/paths
Quote | Reply
So last night, while looking out my window and watching another snow storm blasting down at 0c, I knew the running would be incredibly slippery. I decided to add my own handmade studs to the bottom of my running shoes. I grinded down the 2 sides of the heads of a tapping screws (16 in total) and screwed them into the sole of my running shoe. Make sure the length is not too long so the screw does not penetrate into the inside of the shoe but make sure it is long enough to hold well in the sole. It was amazing! I ran past a six car pile up from rear enders on an incredibly slippy road and my footing did not slip once. The weight of the small screws is so low that there is no measurable weight increase to the shoe itself. Just thought I would pass along the tip.

Quote | Reply
Try sheet metal screws, no grinding required. Runners have used these forever in icy conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: tip for those of you running on slippery roads/paths [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good tip. Please watch out everyone! I've gone ass-over-teakettle twice this winter, and each time I see next season flash in front of my eyes.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: tip for those of you running on slippery roads/paths [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was an identical post using sheet metal screws about a month ago.

So glad we only get ice once or twice a year in Atlanta!

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back from 6 miles in my shoes with screws. I've only worn them 3 times but find my shoe slips an inch or so backward when the snow is over an inch deep and I'm going uphill. Perhaps I need a few more up front. From your photo it doesn't seem like the heads have as much bite as sheet metal screws.

Here's the link to the post from a while back.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20leopards;#1603632
Quote Reply
Re: tip for those of you running on slippery roads/paths [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the idea of the sheet metal screws. Looks like a much better design and less work. Unfortunately I could not get out to Home Depot due to the weather, but that will definitely be the new and improved version.

Quote | Reply
How do they work when / if you are on actual pavement? In my case, I've thought about doing this b/c some of my runs are on trails, but to and from the trail, I will do 0.5 - 1.0 mile of running on sidewalks that are typically clear. I remember from my cross country days, spikes and pavement are not a good match. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: tip for those of you running on slippery roads/paths [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually have to run on pavement for some of my run. The grip is very good on asphalt although when I use these shoes I plan for the run to be on the slow side because I want to be sure I don't slip. Walking around in my garage did seem a little precarious. I also tried them on an icy rail trail which was a pain as the trail is also used by skiers, snowshoers and walkers and therefore very rutted and difficult to avoid twisting an ankle. I've only slip a little once -- when I came to a complete stop on a sidewalk that was icy. Some more screws will hopefully fix that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not a bad idea, but this is a lot simpler:

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a tip, it makes it a lot easier to get the screws started if you use a pushpin to make a "pilot hole" before screwing in the screws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of using the screws in the shoe, my wife and I purchase YakTracks this year. They work great. Only about $20, and work great. Even in snow. We've received about 60 inches of snow total in Spokane since December this winter, and have gotten LOTS of use out of these. They are great.

Start slow, then taper off.
Quote Reply
Re: tip for those of you running on slippery roads/paths [Nat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you notice them on your shoes? The beauty of screws is that other than the sounds on the pavement, I did not notice a difference in feel.

Last edited by: AJHull: Feb 7, 08 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: tip for those of you running on slippery roads/paths [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad your post was brought up. I missed your post back then because I was on a skiing trip. I like what you have done better and I will follow your tips for the next pair. How do they feel when running? Do they impair the feel in any way?

Quote | Reply
I tried the same thing with 2 inch sheet-rock screws - didn't work as well ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate your inventiveness, however, Yaktrax are a much better solution and you are not compromising a pair of shoes or your feet if the screws protrude too far. Due to the coil spring/rubber combination, you actually gain some cushioning with the Yaktrax and they offer a much larger contact surface than screws or studs. Weight is negligible.

My winter runs encompass a large variety of surfaces - ice, compact snow, slush and some bare pavement plus some steep hills. The Yaktrax mounted on a pair of Gore Tex trail running shoes with some mini-gaitors handle it all with ease and relative comfort. In comparison, I barely survived just one run on bare pavement with studs.

Dean Wilson
Anaerobic Zone

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: tip for those of you running on slippery roads/paths [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. Thanks. :)

Quote | Reply
The only time I've really noticed or felt them is the 10 or 12 steps every 10 miles where there isn't snow or ice. The nice thing too, is that they are very easy to put on and take off, so if you're on a trail run in snow and ice, but the road to get you to the trail is clear, no problem. Carry them and put them on at the trail. These really are a nice way to go. The only thing I worry about when using these is getting TOO comfortable or confident in my traction. Face it, we're running on snow and ice and no matter what you do to your shoes for traction, it will still be slippery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is the whole thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#1602502

the shoe screws are very good on ice, snow, frozen snow, re-frozen snow, iced streets, you name it. you get total confidence because they work, and work great. they are excellent on nearly any surface except perhaps clean indoor floor and/or bathroom tiles (you gotta be a little careful on those).

also super easy to install, takes only a few minutes if you have a ratcheting screwdriver. and very cheap.

Quote Reply
Re: tip for those of you running on slippery roads/paths [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did both for the first time this winter. My run commute is often part pavement, part ice/snow trail. I like the srcrew shoes in that they are cheap, and effective. However, you do have to be carful on the length! When on pavement, I feel the 1/2 " tips starting to come through the cushion. Not comfy. They are great on snow and ice, but a little awkward on the pavement. I like the Yak Trax because they are excellent on snow and ice, and you can take them off pretty easily for an extended pavement stretch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about durability? Do they wear down quickly?

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When on pavement, I feel the 1/2 " tips starting to come through the cushion.[/quote] that's why i use the shorter 3/8" screws (see my pic above) and select only certain running shoes for this treatment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Yak Tracks are very durable. I've got plenty of miles on them so far and haven't noticed any issues. Nice thing is that they're not cleats or spikes, rather more like cable chains for your car. Heavy guage rubber with "spiral" metal wrapped over it. The "chains" criss cross back and forth the entire length of the sole so very even traction over the whole shoe. Also, at only $20, worth a try. If you don't like them, I'm sure somebody you know who runs will take them off your hands.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed there are different models. Which one do you have?

Quote | Reply
I just have the basic model, the YakTrax Walker, the one without the velcro strap. They've never fallen off. On just one run, one of them shifted a bit and I had to adjust it, but that is all, only once since I purchased them.

Quote Reply