Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

running and toe problems
Quote | Reply
Okay revved up weekly run total to 50 miles and change last week then took a day off from running and came back yesterday with a 5 .66 mile run. Seems my little (pinkie) toe on my right foot is rubbing up against the fourth toe and the fourth toe has a calic and blister on it now. little toe sort of curls into other toe and rubs ( beds) up naturaly to it. Anyone have this problem and what have you done to correct it? I have a kind of wide foot 4E +. I run on Asics 1120, 2130's and weigh in around 160-165 . Small problem but starting to bother a little and want to nip in butt b4 gets worse.

Re: running and toe problems [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More mileage can uncover problems with shoes, mechanics, etc. It could, however, be something as simple as wet socks, a pebble, or shoes too new.

If you've never had this before, I suspect it's your ramped up mileage.

I'd do basics first:
a) vaseline or body glide the area
b) apply a small thin bandage during runs
c) try different sock combinations
d) Last resort - different shoes

I'm loyal to Saucony, which has a wider toe box than most shoes.
New Balance is also good for wide shoe widths.
I wouldn't recommend changing shoes because of one blister, but it is cause for concern.

http://noel-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: running and toe problems [no good] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another factor to consider is the type of sock used for running.
There are really thin socks that can give a little extra room in your shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as mentioned - slather body glide or some vasoline in there. There are also little toe foam toe separators that can be used if the toe is underlapping badly. Lastly, this can be addressed via simple tenotomy to stop the curling or joint arthroplasty to straighten the toe if all else fails.

Re: running and toe problems [BrianDuTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have handled this issue by using toe-socks - socks made with 10 individual "fingers".
Quote Reply
Re: running and toe problems [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys I will try the vaseline first if that does not work will try the foam and the toe socks. Last resort the Tenotomy (Had to google meaning.) . Been using the Asics for some time now maybe time to have a gait anylasis also to see if stride has changed to where I need a different shoe. Thanks again

Quote | Reply
Try these toe gel caps

http://www.feetrelief.com/...ief/gel_toe_cap.html

I wear a medium one on my big toe, and an xsmall on my pinkie toe. They are great. Absolutely helps with any friction issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have wide feet and had this same problem, little toe curling into and cutting the fourth toe. I used Injinji toe socks and they stopped the bleeding/blistering but not the bigger problem, my toe box was too narrow for my wide, hairy hobbit feet. This can also cause a Morton's neuroma. This is, so far, the single most painful thing I have experienced whilst running. It will make your 5 to 10 to whatever thousand yard swim set seem like a pleasure cruise compared to walking barefoot the 50 yards to the pool. Make sure that your shoes are not just wide enough for your feet but specifically in the toe box. A quick fix which can help is to tie your shoes with two laces on each shoe. One lace on the bottom that you can leave loose to give you more room in the toe box and another up top that can be tightened to keep your shoes on. Still, new shoes may be in order. The money is a small price to pay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem as you. I've been meaning to ask about it for a while. I'll get a blister then it'll turn into a calist. Usually only happens after longer run (not near your mpw though).

I've thought about buying socks made by Injini (however you spell it) that separates your toes.

I'm doing a long run tonight and Saturday...I'm going to try some body glide as rroof suggested first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsors By:
MasterCard Credit Card
Visa Credit Card
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. First I did the Body Glide, then the taping or bandages between toes. Then I moved on to the Injinji socks which did a great job of stopping the bleeding. Finally what solved the issue was switching shoes from Nike to Mizuno, I have been in Mizuno shoes for th 3 years and the problem has not returned

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No disrespect to rroof but a Tenotomy at this point IS NOT IN THE CARDS!

Anyway, toe spacers worn at night seem to do a good job at correcting this sort of thing for some. I would say that changing shoes is the #1 thing I would do actually (another said that last thing to do would be to change shoes). A wide foot needs room to move. If you find your 5th toe curling under it is a tell tail sign that your shoes are doing it. "Modern" footwear seems to mold the foot where "good/optimal" footwear should be mold the shoe. Look at a woman who has worn high healed, narrow toe box shoes for her entire life... bunions (hallux valgus and Tailor's bunions) bilaterally, hammer or claw toes and metatarsals and toes that are in a shape of a pizza slice... JUST LIKE THE FREAKIN' SHOES! So, get a shoe that fits your foot my friend, try the Injinji socks (some like them, some hate them) and let your foot do its job... support your frame and move like it should. ERIK

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by spectacular preparation."
Quote Reply
Re: running and toe problems [eDeRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone ! Tried something like the toe gel toe cover and the vaseline. Seems to have worked wonders, the blister and little callius is still there but does not hurt as much and is getting mucho better! I am wearing at night to so it acts like a toe spacer also.

Re: running and toe problems [Tri Tiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the injinji socks. I've got about 10 pairs and every run over 8 miles is in those bad boys. My feet now love me.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply