Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ergomo first ride....wtf?
Quote | Reply
First ride with the ergomo. I check the offset before I depart in my air conditioned house...probably 77 degrees or so -- 1116. I live in south florida where it's pretty hot this time of year -- I'm guessing it was 93 or so outside. My ride for today was an easy/steady 2 hours. After about 45 minutes into the ride, I start to notice my watts slowly falling. An hour and a half into the ride I'm riding 21 mph and pushing like 40 or 50 watts. Sweet. So, I pull over and do a new offset adjustment -- this time, I get an 1100. Three hours after I'm home, I check it again in my house -- 1096.

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing that this number is supposed to remain relatively constant? Is there a break in period? Will this settle in over time?
Quote Reply
Re: ergomo first ride....wtf? [fatback] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I installed mine this past winter and have had no issues at all. I have consistently had numbers in the 1114-1116 till this crazy hot humid heat hit Ohio. Over the last 2 days I have had 1118. I think you need to set your bike outside for 10 minutes or so before calibrating it or recalibrate it after 30mins of riding. They suggest doing this for extreme weather changes- mainly in the winter -after keeping the bike inside and then riding outside in the cold.
Either way it is an easy fix.
S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First ride with the ergomo. I check the offset before I depart in my air conditioned house...probably 77 degrees or so -- 1116. I live in south florida where it's pretty hot this time of year -- I'm guessing it was 93 or so outside. My ride for today was an easy/steady 2 hours. After about 45 minutes into the ride, I start to notice my watts slowly falling. An hour and a half into the ride I'm riding 21 mph and pushing like 40 or 50 watts. Sweet. So, I pull over and do a new offset adjustment -- this time, I get an 1100. Three hours after I'm home, I check it again in my house -- 1096.

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing that this number is supposed to remain relatively constant? Is there a break in period? Will this settle in over time?

You might get some initial "settling" as the installation stresses all "find their minimum" once you start pedaling on it.

That said, IMO it's fruitless to do offsets on an Ergomo unless the unit is in the conditions it'll be operated under. In the conditions like you were in today, I wouldn't perform the offset until ~20 minutes (warmup time) into the ride. Then...don't check it again once your back inside in the air conditioning. Otherwise, you'll end up "chasing the offset".

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you chase and face the BB shell before installing the BB sensor, and torque the sensor properly with a torque wrench? Failing to follow these steps in the installation process is usually the cause of these sorts of issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remove it, clean it, sell it, and buy a powertap.

My buddy has an ergomo and he has the same problem even when his bike is left outside in transition overnight.

Do Work Son!
Quote Reply
Re: ergomo first ride....wtf? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give the post-warmup offset a try today. The installation shouldn't be an issue -- it was done by R&A and those guys know what they are doing. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For this reason, Ergomo is one of the worst IM pacing devices out there. There are many reports of it being highly sensitive to air temperature, including my own personal experience with two ergomo bb's. Set the offset in the AM before the race, and you will likely have a wattage that is off later on in the day, since temps are likely going to climb the rest of the day from when you set it in transition at 6:30am (or earlier).

Ergomo can be OK in training for a specific set. You need to ride outside for a bit, then perform the offset right before the set. As long as conditions don't change too much during the course of the set you are tracking, then your data is going to be OK.

In a race, it is an over-priced speed sensor, which is a pain in the ass due to the high sensitivity of the speed magnet.

FWIW, I gave away all of my ergomo crap. Didn't want a cent in return, because ethically I could not sell anyone such a piece of trash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that the Ergomo does not have any temperature compensation built into it and another reason not to buy one.

I can just imagine riding it here in the Los Angeles area where the outside temperature can change by 20 degrees easily. You would start the ride inland where it is hot between 90 to 100 degrees and the you ride towards the ocean where the temp will drop into the 70s. You would have to to stop every 15 minutes to calibrate the Ergomo again.
Quote Reply
Re: ergomo first ride....wtf? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely disagree with you Flanagan. I perform an offset once a week at the most, and often while during sets, my wattage is within 2-3 watts for 4-5 x 6-8 minute sets. Sometimes a couple of them will be dead on.

My suggestion to the OP is to perhaps contact ergomo Customer Care - they are incredibly helpful and can help you fix the issue, whether you are able to do it at home, or have to send it back.

I have had nothing but good experiences with my Ergomos. I had the Sport when it first came out, and now have the Pro on my road bike as well as TT bike.

--

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Re: ergomo first ride....wtf? [Felipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
disagree all you want. apparently you have one that works, which is not suprising given that you are sponsored by ergomo. im glad you have one that works. however, for the average age grouper, purchasing an ergomo is a total gamble. there are countless examples of ergomos which seem to be neither precise or accurate, even after being installed by a professional mechanic. the average age grouper is not going to get as much support from either the LBS or from the manufacturer as a sponsored professional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Customer reviews: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=50;

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Re: ergomo first ride....wtf? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
disagree all you want. apparently you have one that works, which is not suprising given that you are sponsored by ergomo. im glad you have one that works. however, for the average age grouper, purchasing an ergomo is a total gamble. there are countless examples of ergomos which seem to be neither precise or accurate, even after being installed by a professional mechanic. the average age grouper is not going to get as much support from either the LBS or from the manufacturer as a sponsored professional.

Correction: I ahve TWO that work. The fact that I am sponsored by them does not change my opinion of their product. The fact that I beleive their product is great is what makes me continue working with them. I have been since 2004.

As far as support, I think you are mistaken. They are great in offering support to their customers. That's what I have heard, at least, from others who had to contact Customer Care.

--

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Re: ergomo first ride....wtf? [Felipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode today in the Northeast. My bike was in my garage at approx. 65-70 degrees. I ran an offset before my ride at 1246 (in 70 degree car for 10 minutes and then outside my car for 4-5 minutes). I ran an offset after my 2.5 hour ride in 94 degrees - it was 1247. I've had similar results with my tri bike - the offset only changes by 1 - ever. I do need to say, in the interest of full disclosure, that in 2 bikes, I'm on my 4th BB and 2nd computer. Yes, they've had their problems with reliability for me; in that regard, both distributors have had excellent customer service, and have replaced them promptly. I did have problems with high readings on my road bike (vs. tri bike) after the BB was supposedly faced and chased by the local pro shop. Evidently the faces were not quite square enough (he did the F&C relucatantly after telling me that modern frames didn't need it; I asked him to humor me). After I had the F&C re-done by the other local shop, I've had very reapeatable results. I've also borrowed at PT wireless wheel and tried it on both the trainer and a road ride, and the numbers match very closely - within 7 watts worst case for 2 minute intervals between 100 watts and 280 watts in a ramp test.
Quote Reply