Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

drill question for fish..
Quote | Reply
one arm drill.

do you use the kickboard out in front of you for the stationary arm

or

do you use buoy and keep stationary arm at side.

"it takes commitment and clear understanding that being an endurance athlete is just hard. there are no short cuts."

Quote Reply
Re: drill question for fish.. [3fkta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the first. what's the point of the board? one arm drills are best used to be able to focus on a proper pull one arm at a time. Each pull being a separate attempt to get yourself all the way across the pool. You can do this with one arm out in front at all times.

For the second drill, your working on proper rotation and breathing, as well as timing of the kick and stroke. From the sounds of it, this drill will be useless for you.

What I'm saying is these are two different drills that work on two different things. Neither are the most effective drill for their intended purpose too.

So what are you trying to accomplish by doing one arm drills? What are the swimming goals here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something you should probably ask the person who gave you the workout.

Using the kickboard out in front for the stationary arm is most often used for *VERY* beginners to get the basic motion of rotating to the side to breathe.

After that you usually drop the kickboard since it would tend to make you reliant on pushing down with your extended arm to hold your head up when breathing. It's not a habit you want to develop if you can help it.

When I do one arm or recommend it, there is no flotation device used; but as i said you should ask whoever wrote the workout what you are trying to accomplish.
Quote Reply
Re: drill question for fish.. [DrDubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first , i am trying to understand the proper technique to do the drill. do i need some sort of gear to help balance me.. i am not a strong swimmer.
i want to add strength to a weak left pull.
yes i need work on proper rotation and breathing...

"it takes commitment and clear understanding that being an endurance athlete is just hard. there are no short cuts."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No special gear required. Keep the non-pulling arm extended in front of you.
Quote Reply