Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: cyclists Beware,, [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one here ever does this, and I get yelled at if I do stop (by my ride leaders no less). So I refuse to group ride anymore unless it's a very small group or I know them well (friends). I think every cyclist who runs a red should get a ticket, no questions asked. I have zero sympathy for people complaining about this. We are allowed to ride on the roads, but they are not paid for by taxpayers to be our training grounds. If you have to stop at every light and can't get a good enough workout in, tough.
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [gfraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9/ Never flip-off a motorist, no matter how deserving they are of it. They may take it out on the next cyclist they encounter.
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [gfraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A rider I know that has gone cross country and inter-provincial on a few occasions recently pointed me in the direction of this http://www.3feetplease.com/

He swears by the jersey and repeatedly states that when he's wearing it, he gets more room on the road. I have no affiliation with the website/company, just passing on what's worked for someone I know.
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [ilovemyfootball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is another company with a similar mission: http://www.sharethedamnroad.com

Their "Don't Run Me Over" jersey won Bicycling Magazine's jersey of the month a while back, apparently.
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the "Don't Run Me Over" "Don't Honk at Me" and "Slow Down" jerseys and think they would get attention, however in the society we live in, those that are apt to think it's funny to scare a cyclist are likely to see these jerseys as a challenge.

And I agree with the "No. 9, No flipping off cars." I'm very bad about this but I agree it only enrages the driver for the next one of us out there. I ate lunch today with a coworker who was making a casaul joke about hitting cyclists bc they didn't belong on the road with his car. I let him know what I thought about his "joke" and left.
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I've met the company founder a few times (rode for Team Florida when I was at UF, now rides for Kenda-Gear Grinders pro team), and he addresses the issue of pissing someone off with such jerseys in the mission statement. I know where I live "3 Feet Please" and "Slow Down" would probably be well received, but the "Don't Honk" one would just be an invitation to mess with me.
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [ilovemyfootball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A rider I know that has gone cross country and inter-provincial on a few occasions recently pointed me in the direction of this http://www.3feetplease.com/

Legislation has been introduced in Ontario to make this the Law. Obviously it's not going to solve the whole problem, but it will be a start - to send the message to drivers that they need to exercise caution when passing a cyclist(s).

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=19041

I always find it odd when we have to pass into law, what should be common-sense!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 18, 10 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one here ever does this, and I get yelled at if I do stop (by my ride leaders no less). So I refuse to group ride anymore unless it's a very small group or I know them well (friends). I think every cyclist who runs a red should get a ticket, no questions asked. I have zero sympathy for people complaining about this. We are allowed to ride on the roads, but they are not paid for by taxpayers to be our training grounds. If you have to stop at every light and can't get a good enough workout in, tough.

It would help our position tremendously, if all cyclists followed the rules of the road. Some/many don't, so it makes the situation even more challenging.

Personally, I always follow the rules of the road when riding and the groups that I ride with, some very accomplished road racers, do as well.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Idaho, cyclists can treat stop signs as yield signs and red lights as stop signs. Here is the statute:

http://legislature.idaho.gov/...T49CH7SECT49-720.htm

The "Stop sign" provision treats us a bit more like a pedestrian than a vehicle. (Would you stop at a stop sign if you were walking through an intersection?) The law makes good sense from a cycling perspective, but does further enrage motorists who are ignorant of the law when they see a cyclist blow through an intersection. :(

EDIT: link fixed.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: May 18, 10 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with everyone in this thread, and it seems we all follow the laws of the road, what about the 80% of other cyclists who don't follow the laws of the road.

I never thought I would be writing a reply in favor of drivers, but after what happened/witnessed 3 weeks ago, and notice more careless cyclists.

I live in Westchester County, 20 miles north of NYC with a very populated cycling community.

I was running a 5 mile race for the local YMCA. There is a very large cycling group called Gimbels, its a high paced group ride. These guys rode right through the race route and did not listen to the police officers directing traffic. They came very close to hitting runners or cutting off cars waiting to proceed, a few of them apologized but they were all focused on keeping there 20 mph pace. disregarded the runners or anyone else on the road. I was actually put into a rage over this.

ever since this incident I see this group more often, and on Boston Post Road, which is a 2 lane heavy traffic road, these guys are taking up 2 lanes of traffic & blocking all traffic, and with seeing this, I understand the rage of drivers now.
Its unfair that groups like this ruin it for us safer cyclists.

my 2 cents!
Last edited by: Chris3mes1: May 18, 10 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Chris3mes1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I agree with everyone in this thread, and it seems we all follow the laws of the road, what about the 80% of other cyclists who don't follow the laws of the road.

I never thought I would be writing a reply in favor of drivers, but after what happened/witnessed 3 weeks ago, and notice more careless cyclists.

I live in Westchester County, 20 miles north of NYC with a very populated cycling community.

I was running a 5 mile race for the local YMCA. There is a very large cycling group called Gimbels, its a high paced group ride. These guys rode right through the race route and did not listen to the police officers directing traffic. They came very close to hitting runners or cutting off cars waiting to proceed, a few of them apologized but they were all focused on keeping there 20 mph pace. disregarded the runners or anyone else on the road. I was actually put into a rage over this.

ever since this incident I see this group more often, and on Boston Post Road, which is a 2 lane heavy traffic road, these guys are taking up 2 lanes of traffic & blocking all traffic, and with seeing this, I understand the rage of drivers now.
Its unfair that groups like this ruin it for us safer cyclists.

my 2 cents!

Here is a local article about this ride, first paragraph says it all
http://www.myrye.com/...menacing-bikers.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next