Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ?
Quote | Reply
what are the plugs called ?
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [Swanbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veloplugs

still used

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [Swanbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swanbird wrote:
what are the plugs called ?

Veloplugs.

They came on a cheapo wheelset I got for trainer use and they seem to work well enough in that application.
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is there a greater potential for latex tube flats if i use velo plugs vs rim strip ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would be a little more likely (Latex tubes have a sneaky way of finding any little imperfection and working into it)

I always ran a strip of packing tape over top of my veloplugs. Never had any issues with latex like that.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanbird wrote:
is there a greater potential for latex tube flats if i use velo plugs vs rim strip ?

No idea - never used latex tubes with them. I guess there's potential for a plug to tear a tube if it has a rough edge, or is a poor enough fit in the spoke hole to pinch it somehow, but not to any greater extent than rim tape as far as I can tell.
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do i have to start a new thread
to address most durable/popular latex tube brand ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanbird wrote:
do i have to start a new thread
to address most durable/popular latex tube brand ?

I have some used velo plugs yellow I was just about to list. I have like at least another for 3 wheels. I wouldn't run just velo plugs, I would use a layer of tape over them, but I would prefer just to use tape and go without the plugs.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no problems with the plugs and latex tubes. I've been using them for years.
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
I have no problems with latex tubes..

may i ask latex inner tube brand and valve stem length ?
Last edited by: Swanbird: Sep 2, 16 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought a wheel that came with these. The supposed gain is 15 grams of weight saved (.03lbs), and the ability to reuse. Now that I've dropped that pesky .03lbs I'm KQ material for sure, but not if I'm going to flat out easier :)

Really though, they make me nervous. Got a 100 miler on Sunday, debating taping the wheel up and ditching these things tomorrow....... Amazon reviews are surprisingly very good though.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanbird wrote:
wacomme wrote:

may i ask latex tube brand and stem length ?

I believe the stem length is fairly standard. I mainly use Vittoria and Michelin latex tubes. I don't cover my plugs with tape. I've never had a flat due to the plugs - that I'm aware of; I rarely get flats (knock on wood). The plugs are on Stans 340 alloy rims. My other wheels are taped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanbird wrote:
wacomme wrote:

may i ask latex tube brand and stem length ?

That looks like it should be in the Women's Forum

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Been using Veloplugs for years with no issues ...

https://veloplug.com/

When I put in Veloplugs I push them in with the smooth handle of a screwdriver so that are in flush and tight .... also for insurance I put a dab of tubluar mastic on them too.

They provide more room for the tube and make changing the tire easier.

I am waiting for someone to make semi-permanent 3M adhesive stickers with a firm backing to replace them ...... someday.

They would go on easier and be even smoother inside ..... and be lighter than Veloplugs.

have used various brands of latex ... using Vittoria now http://www.wiggle.com/...ia-latex-inner-tube/

Works well and has a removable valve for when using with extensions.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
I am waiting for someone to make semi-permanent 3M adhesive stickers with a firm backing to replace them ...... someday.

They would go on easier and be even smoother inside ..... and be lighter than Veloplugs.

File a patent and make a beta. Idea's like this create a beautiful second income.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello jsmith82 and All,

I have found that the process you describes takes a lot of time ..... often subtracted from actually doing stuff like ..... swimming ..... riding and ..... running .... that is a lot more fun.

Hoping that someone else has the time and inclination ......

I will provide the patent attorney's name and phone number (he is an avid cyclist) and the 3M reps name and phone number.

PM me.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried them and if they don't fit snugly and one does not have tape over them, they are a major PIA when you do get a flat. What will happen on the side of the road is you pull out the tube carefully and take a bead off the rim, then you do your normal thing putting the tire back on but you have to double check to make sure that you did not lose one of the plugs.or that you don't dislodge one while putting the tire back on the rim. It was not worth the trouble as my own mechanic, YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a square of Super33+ electrical tape over each one (to hold them in and to cover any rough edges). They work great w/latex tubes.

If you have a wheel that needs to be trued through the rim (ex. HED Jet, FLO, etc.) these save you having to replace the rim strip.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used veloplugs for many years on my race wheels with great success.

The tape idea is a good one. Any reason to use electrical tape vs some clear packing tape ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: are the clincher rim spoke hole plastic plugs still used today vs rim strips ? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super33+ tape is a bit stretchy and conforming, unlike packing tape.
Avoid cheap electrical tape that doesn't stretch, hardens over time and has lousy adhesive.

http://m.homedepot.com/...6132-BA-10/100073402

It's also what many pro mechanics use to finish handlebar tape.

I also use small squares to cover the top of hex bolts to keep water out (ex. armpad screws).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode the Giro Della Montagna Century ride Sunday, ended up doing 105 miles all over St. Louis Missouri, some of which in south city was on the worst of roads. The Veloplugs held up just fine, no . I'm impressed. And feel much better.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Sep 6, 16 12:00
Quote Reply