Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two New Blog Updates
Quote | Reply
Holiday time means more time for blogging. Two updates:

- An open letter to Lance Armstrong

- A report from this year's To-Hell-And-Back ride

Link to the blog is below.

As always comments are welcome here or at the blog.

Seasons Greetings.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Two New Blog Updates [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A note to professional triathletes from your blog :

- Professional triathletes need to think hard about where they ad value to sponsors and events. The good ones get this, and the conversation with them is always very different than the ones who don't seem to get this. Why? Because, the conversation is more about how the athlete can help out and what they can do , than about how much money is in the contract or how much gear they are getting.

- Pro triathletes need to look beyond the endemic companies in the triathlon business for the really good sponsor partnerships. It's these companies, that will actually have the financial resources to help out. Pro triathletes would be wise to follow the lead of one of the best race directors in the triathlon business and look with-in to find these contacts and relationships. What do I mean? Triathlon, seems to attract a certain type of person - that Type-A person who is very goal oriented and driven. Scan the "employment" list at any Ironman race and there are more than a few business owners, Senior Managers and Vice-Presidents and C-level executives. If they are participating in the sport, these people already get it! A warm beach is always the best beach to land on!

And from me:
The above is exactly what I am thinking. Many of the race directors are onto this and these people are already sponsoring events. So how can you the professional athlete offer the same or more than the coverage a company gets from sponsoring an event. I have some ideas but the list is too long. One is that you need to create your own media interest. And I think examples of this are Chris McCormack and Lance Armstrong, although the latter is a different story.
Macca looks to have his own small media crew and the quality advertising of him is working.
Life is too short to be timid or shy when approaching people who love triathlon and have good businesses they want to grow.

Could go on but need to get on the bike.

Also I have put a link to your blog Steve from my links page. Some invaluable info in your blog.

Seasons greetings to you and all other triathletes:

G.
http://www.triathlonshots.com/...manTrainingBlog.html

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: Two New Blog Updates [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Grant.

Good input.

Merry Christmas to you down-under!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Two New Blog Updates [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fleck - haven't read the blog, kinda slammed right now but what grant highlighted above-
Currently developing a product and feeling stuck (not usual), ran it across several of my patients in the business world. One of them has always just dropped ideas at my feet. When he was getting frustrated with me missing the concept, he mentioned addressing 12,000 ppl this is how u set it up. That got my attn quickly. I knew he was smart, but I didn't know he was that smart.

What I gathered from him-
Ask others for input at ur packet/promo kit/ proposal
Get social --you'd be surprised just how connected ppl are
Get outside tri gear. They have no money and already have their audience captive.

There is way more but until I try it not wanting to share it as I think it's a gamble. The above 3 has already worked in my case, and he was highlighting what I have done and now where I need to head.

Ironically he kept asking me if I want to be 'professional'. I had to explain there are no pros in what we do, it's just us - less than 100, and this next one 4. Apparently I missed his concept of 'professional'. He meant as in getting paid not as in speed. Once he brought that up, it really hit me - my friends and I are the products we have to have others do the work as our job is to train and showup raceday. The team sets up the rest.

2 other things he brought up -
Coke keeps it simple - bottle shape and slogan
Tiger woods changed golf - and it's not even a sport (his words not mine) he took what everyday ppl play and revolutinized things.
Those 2 concepts I think some of the speedy ones on here can tap into - and some of the non-speedy ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Two New Blog Updates [Eileen Steil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall what Cameron Brown wrote about getting sponsors a few years back. It sounded like his father went out and got some of the sponsors and he got more than a few and they weren't all directly related to triathlon.
Also your family or partner could be your number one sponsor if you are lucky.
To get really good all by yourself would be very hard. Maybe if you study sports science or something related you could get alot of the info. But otherwise you need to be around people with that knowledge.
The above is pretty obvious.

The team concept is where non-drafting triathlon is headed. I agree it is hard to be out there promoting yourself while training at the same time. But if you are full time training then you should have time and it will be better to get sponsor money than be tied to a bad job. The team thing done right can get more exposure than an individual. Although to me Macca's personal media team are getting more exposure than Team TBB or the Commerzbank team.
The bank HSBC is trying to go more global so a team could try them.
'Networking', or talking and listening to people in bussiness will help also like you say.
Rappster has thought outside the box and is doing alot of things right in promoting himself. he has good technical knowledge and is using that in part. There are still more opportunities like that to align oneself with triathlon online. use your strengths.
The other thing is 'how do you stand out in the crowd'. The crowd being all the other athletes who get a couple of top 10 placings in races each year and who are seeking sponsors. Somehow you have to be noticeable and have a presence. Petr Vabrousec stands out to me for all the events he places top 10 in. But how do others get noticed? The media following triathlon doesn't compare with that following soccer, but you would need to get to know them. Either that or create your own image via your own various media.
New products or new companies often need exposure. It is a bit tough for the athlete to work out how they can help someone elses company(but you could do it). If you really had great ideas you could probably create your own product/company and make that work.

If I have time or think of anything else I will say on here. or maybe in my blog someday.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply