Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Silicon Nitride (Si3N4) ceramic bearings in Zipps
Quote | Reply
Zipp Z3 & Z4 wheels use these bearings in their hubs at zipp.com. These are ISO 6001 hybrid ceramic bearings (12mmx28mmx8mm) that can be bought for around $25-35.00 each at most bearing supply companies, maybe cheaper if you really look. The same bearings go in HED 3 as well. I found that different companies state the the bearings run 30% to 50% faster. Anyone one have experience with the Z4 in comparison to the Zipp 404 or a ceramic engineering degree to help with this topic.

Bottom line if you spend 100.00 on bearings are you really gaining anything?

Interesting site: http://www.bocabearings.com/ceramic/index.htm

Regards,

Mike
Houston, Texas
Quote Reply
Re: Silicon Nitride (Si3N4) ceramic bearings in Zipps [miketris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$100?

Have you seen the price of the Z4 wheelset? It is around $3k, and only 100 sets will be produced in 2004.
Quote Reply
Re: Silicon Nitride (Si3N4) ceramic bearings in Zipps [miketris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was previously discussed and the take home message I got was that ceramic bearings have little relevance to a 'low speed, low load' application like a bicycle hub:

[url]http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=49682;search_string=ceramic%20bearings;#49682[/url]

There have also been some discussions along the same lines over at rec.bicycles.tech with the ever subtle Jogst Brandt.

--ashayk
Quote Reply
Re: Silicon Nitride (Si3N4) ceramic bearings in Zipps [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No what i'm asking is what the difference between 404's and Z4. Is it just the bearings, if so these bearings are available to anyone. I can switch the out the standard 6001 brearings out for for a set of ceramic bearings in 5 minutes.

Regards,

Mike
Houston, Texas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe they are lighter as well, but I would like to stick some cermanic ones in my wheels if it is possible. Is that $50 per wheel ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the latest World Cycling Productions catalogue you can upgrade your Zipp 303/404 to ceramic bearings for ONLY $1100. Must be something amiss here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking on their web site. Which exact bearings (size and model number) will fit the Zipp 303/404s?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30 to 50% faster than something that is near perfect is very little. Just my .02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have seen a couple custom wheels with these bearings and they did seem to spin much more freely than normal bearings when you spun them in your hand. It is tough for me to say how that woud translate to rolling/bearing resistance under load.

It seems promising but very expensive.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply