Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quantico, VA
Quote | Reply
My husband and I are moving to Quantico in Aug. Hopefully someone from the area can answer a couple of questions.
- We are looking for an apt within 10-15 miles of the base. Any area that should be avoided or looked into?
- Is there a solid masters swimming program in the area?
- What is the trail running like at Prince William Forest Park? Where is there a good track?
Quote Reply
Re: Quantico, VA [stitch626] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You poor people!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about a masters program but there is a solid outdoor poor off of Garrisonville Blvd. I forget the name of the place it's an aquatic center of some sorts. The pool is great and in the winter they put a bubble over it.

-There is a nice track behind the fitness center on Mainside Quantico that you can run your heart out on.

For trails, I don't know about Prince William Forest but there are a bunch of trails on the Camp Barrett side that you can run on and the trails are quite up and down.

For cycling it doesn't get much better than Camp Barrett because the roads are smooth asphalt, even though its pretty up and down riding you barely get passed by a car and when you do they're curtious. You can easily get 30+miles in on the that side.

Any other questions?

http://www.facebook.com/ReconFoundationTeam
http://www.facebook.com/MarineReconFoundation
http://www.reconfoundation.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming is a logistical nightmare...Raymer hall on the TBS side has swim hours, but can be sporadic if TBS companies are training.

Running trails are right on base...Prince William is good...but you'll pay $ on the weekend if you want to run there...mainside has miles of trails. I run 2-2.5 hours there without too much double-tracking. OCS area has good trails when you are allowed to run there.

RENT!!!!!!!! Don't buy right now...housing is tanking...no matter what anyone tells you. Rent in Stafford, or Woodbridge. If you are coming for one of the schools (EWS, CSC, etc)...why not take base housing? You'll be in it for less than a year...and it's new.

PM me if you want more info...I've been here 3.5 years now...and I'm on my third go-round with Quantico...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Base housing is nice, and you'll save on the commute time.

If you live south of the base, you have to factor in that commute. Traffic flows north on I-95 in the morning and south at night. Fred is probably as far south as I myself would want to be. I lived in Stafford (near the post office on US-1, if you are familiar with the area) and travel to-from home to EWS (through the front gate) took me maybe thirty minutes. I had friends that lived in Old Town Alexandria and they were happy with their decisions, too.

PWF Park has got great riding, but the southern area of the base does, too. Nice to be able to switch it up.

Sport & Health Fitness Club in the Aquia shopping area (US-1 and Rt 610, Garrisonville Rd) has a nice enough pool. However, despite a new heater and repairs to the "bubble," it is often closed for maintenance. My membership worked at all S&H clubs, though, so I would drive to Fred in the morning to use the pool there. Very nice.

I personally recommend Revolution Cycles (www.revolutioncycles.com) for all of your bicycling needs (the Stafford shop has tri gear, too), but I'm biased...
Quote Reply