Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

German Silva races Ironman Arizona
Quote | Reply
Well, now that noone replied on that other thread who the guy below is, I think he deserves his own thread:

He asked me "how's the swim?" and said that he's a bit scared.
Me: "your running should be fine". He smiled.

Quote | Reply
What running time do you predict for him?
Quote Reply
Re: German Silva races Ironman Arizona [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am curious to see his run split, he had probably the most exciting NYC Marathon finish ever.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: German Silva races Ironman Arizona [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea about his current fitness.

Quote | Reply
Interview on competitorradio.com.

Summary:
1:15 swim - 5:40 bike with back problems during the last third - started the run but quit after half a mile.
Ran Chicago 4 weeks before Arizona in 2:36.
Plans to run Boston and Berlin next year thinking sub2:20.
Will then do IM Cozumel, hopes for sub10 (2:50-55 Marathon).
Hopes to qualify for Kona.

Quote | Reply
Looks like a lottery slot might be more likely ;-)
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came into T2 around the same time and saw him struggling out of T2 heading off on the run. He was in pain and moaning such that I was pretty sure that his race was over at that point. It was tough to see him have to back out when he finally got to his strength, but listening to him it sounds like the back just wouldn't cooperate. He said his PR at the half is 4:56, so a pretty good time. He also said he only trained for 7 weeks, and only had one long bike ride leading up to Arizona.

The guy is amazing to me based on his past, and his new-found passion for the sport is great. Hope his Kona quest happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim I understand - I've only seen 1-2 elite runners who could outswim my 7 year old.....but I'm surprised by the bike. Maybe he has only put a few miles in on the bike and his position killed his back....(I never listened to the interview - I'll try to track it down). I always assumed a former elite would fairly easily go 1:15 - 5 - 3. I am looking forward to telling the elite runners in town that I beat German Silva though....

I do wish him the best - hope he loves the sport and continues to train/race. Would be interesting to see how his run pans out if he races well.

Sounds like his training center is Mexico has a couple nice pools - that will help.

Dave
Quote Reply