Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cost to transfer components to new frame
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity - if I were to pick up a new frameset, how much would you estimate I'd fork over at the LBS to have everything switched over from my current ride?

If it's of any importance, the frame I'm looking at is carbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost to transfer components to new frame [KenyonTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
est. $100.00-150.00. +new cables
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just out of curiosity - if I were to pick up a new frameset, how much would you estimate I'd fork over at the LBS to have everything switched over from my current ride?

$60 to $200
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

You can do most of it yourself and save half the cost. Most of it is simply bolting on the components (i.e., brakes, stem, handlebars etc... Really, with a little reading on the Park Tool website, you can do it all pretty easily. I don't let the LBS monkey with my bike any more...

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Cost to transfer components to new frame [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is true...but that is if and only if you have a few hundred $$$ in the proper tools.

And why support the LBS...I mean what do they do other than support us, help us out with tech stuff, provide support and many races and sponsor our events....jerks.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on where you're getting the frame. If you're getting it from that LBS, and you've supported them in the past, they might do it for free or for a nominal charge. If you're bringing in your own frame and components, then probably about $100 is my guess.

As others have said, its not really too terribly difficult to do, but you most likely would need to buy a decent torque wrench, and that alone will set you back at least as much as the installation cost.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I bought a new frame, brought it and my old bike to my LBS, they rebuilt my new frame with all of my old component and put on new cables and charged me $150. I thought that was a reasonable deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost to transfer components to new frame [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than installing the headset and cranks/bottom bracket all you need is an adjustable wrench (almost everyone has this), a set of allen wrenches (the multitool that should be in your flat kit is fine), a cable cutter ($30), a cassette tool ($5), and a chain tool ($20). There is no need for hundreds of dollars in bike specific tools. Even the cranks and headset can be installed without buying the expensive Park tools. It just takes ten minutes on Google to find the technique.

Doing it yourself is NOT any more expensive than having the LBS do it. And you gain the knowledge to do it yourself. If you ride a bike you ought to be able to put it together/take it apart.

I like my LBS; it's a fun place to go an ogle bikes. But I am not going to give them money to do something that I can do myself, especially when their wrench is a 20 year old hipster who doesn't know any more about the bike than I do. I am also not going to buy from them when they are charging 30% more than online. They do not "support me" in any way.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost to transfer components to new frame [hgrong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should buy more from them and they will support you better. Do they do tech at races?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do they do tech at races?

Yes, but since I know how to do it myself, I have never used this "service."

They would have to give me A LOT of support for me to pay an extra 30% over other retailers. Does their support come with a happy ending?
Quote Reply
Re: Cost to transfer components to new frame [hgrong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like their support would come when you need it most...if you needed it during a race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is some precedent for a retailer "adding value" by assembling the bike from the frame gratis if it is purchased from them. Ask. If it is not their policy, then you may simply do well to pay what they are asking. Do hold them accountable for quality work though.

I like the estimates that are $100-$150 for a total rebuild from new frame and your components. You will purchase new cables and housings at additional cost- mandatory IMO. It's also a good time for new handlebar tape and to look at your "wear" components like cogset, chain and chainrings.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the work is easy. You might leave the headset and bottom bracket to the shop, though. Screw those up and it can be painful...crossthreading a bottom bracket...or getting the headset misaligned....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sounds to me like their support would come when you need it most...if you needed it during a race.

don't shops either 1) get paid for race support or 2) get free advertising for race support?

I don't buy everything from my LBS, nor have them do all of my tech stuff. I bought a $40 tool kit from Performance and it covers almost all of my needs, minus the torque wrench for carbon parts (not frame).
Quote Reply
Re: Cost to transfer components to new frame [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont know any that get paid to tech a race - know a few that give out a dozen or so tubes, tires, bar plugs and man hours they pay for...and yes they get marketing...but isnt that supposed to help them get more retail sales?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say learn to do it yourself. I bought the ~$75 tool kit from nashbar and the only additional tool I need was a chain whip to remove a cassette.

Take a bunch of picture of your old bike & take notes. Take the old bike apart. Clean it, re-lube everything & put it back on your new frame. Watch youtube videos or parktool or look at the components website for instructions & tips.

I knew next to nothing about bikes & maintenance, until this winter. I bought a new road frame, transfered all my old components from my tri bike to it plus used STI shifters & build my tri bike with all new SRAM Red.

It wasn't hard at all. The trickiest part is adjusting the front and rear H & L derailler (sp?) screws.

If you can't figure it out, take it to the LBS and have them do it and watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsors By:
MasterCard Credit Card
Visa Credit Card
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re buying specialized tools -- since it's a carbon frame, you're going to want to buy the torque wrench anyway, unless you're going to bring it to the shop everytime you feel like fiddling with your seat height, etc. Difficult stuff I would have the shop do either way: headset/star nut installation, cutting the steerer tube, bottom bracket installation. If the bike has internal cable routing, it may be a PITA to do the initial cable runs, so it may save time to have the shop do the full build in that case.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost to transfer components to new frame [Tri Tiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd say learn to do it yourself. I bought the ~$75 tool kit from nashbar and the only additional tool I need was a chain whip to remove a cassette.
I agree. Do it yourself. Not because I hate the bike shops and don't want to support them, but because $150-$200 is a lot of money and it's worthwhile to learn how to work on your bike. Just take care since it's carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, there is a certain sense of satisfaction that comes from riding a bike that you put together yourself. Of course, once you do it, when that guy shows up for the group ride with the mis-tuned and noisy rear derailleur (because he couldn't get to the LBS) you will want to beat him about the head and shoulders with a pump handle.
Quote Reply