Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alternatives to Running
Quote | Reply
What are some alternatives to running that are a bit easier on the joints? Will the options below contribute to running fitness? i.e. by doing these below activities will it benefit you running fitness?

Eliptical Trainer
Aqua Jogging
Bushwalking (steep hills)
Walking up steep hills
Weight lifting leg weights
Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to Running [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What are some alternatives to running that are a bit easier on the joints? Will the options below contribute to running fitness? i.e. by doing these below activities will it benefit you running fitness?

Eliptical Trainer
Aqua Jogging
Bushwalking (steep hills)
Walking up steep hills
Weight lifting leg weights
Cycling

If you are a triathlete, the best alternatives to running are:

1) biking
2) swimming

I've concluded that all the other substitutes only help you with running indirectly by maintaining (or perhaps improving) your cardiovascular fitness. That being the case, why not improve your cardiovascular fitness in a way that specifically improves your triathlon performance?

Depending on the nature of your injury/issue it's possible that weight training or some other strength/flexibility program could help to rehab you and prevent future injury so it's valuable while not directly contributing to aerobic fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to Running [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trail running.
Barefoot running on the beach.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would be VERY surprised at how good pool running can be for a replacement to road running. I have rehabbed a sprained ankle and torn calf separately right at peak hrs time before IM's and while not a perfect replacement, quite a surprise at how well it works. You have to really run it, not jog. It can be pretty boring, but you get used to it. And it is absolutely the best way to improve running form as you can really isolate specific portions of the stride, from body lean to claw back to foot landing at the right place under your body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think water running, with intervals, is best; not water jogging but real intervals. And your form is really important. You should be vertical with a longish stride. I see way too many people doing water running/jogging who are so horizontal they really are swimming. Or I see a stride length that looks like a circus clown on a unicycle. That won't do you any good. You want to approximate or exaggerate running form. Be upright with long stride and recovery, and work the intervals hard. If you do that, you'll be surprised how hard it is and how much effort it takes.

It is a great and perfectly comparable substitute for road running, minus the pounding.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to Running [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rollerskiing, nordic walking or striding with poles on trails up and down hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relay team. Problem solved. Swim, Bike, Beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More running...

Cheers...

Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had knee problems for the last 2.5 years and have been unable to run up until a month or so ago. From my experience:

Spin Class - and if/ when you finally get back to running you'll be amazed by how little fitness you've lost, even up hills, due to the cardio/ resistance work of spin

Running Barefoot - there is no lower impact running than forefoot strike in bare feet. Start slow and eventually you end up with the lightest foot strike you've ever had
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

1) biking
2) swimming

I've concluded that all the other substitutes only help you with running indirectly by maintaining (or perhaps improving) your cardiovascular fitness. That being the case, why not improve your cardiovascular fitness in a way that specifically improves your triathlon performance?

Depending on the nature of your injury/issue it's possible that weight training or some other strength/flexibility program could help to rehab you and prevent future injury so it's valuable while not directly contributing to aerobic fitness.

Biking and swimming are obviously things necessary for triathlon but they are not a substitute for running. When race day comes you need to run too. If you are limited in how you can train for running, you need a better substitute.

Given all the alternatives people have posted here, I would rank them as follows

1. Running on dirt/trails -- absolutely.
2. Running on a treadmill - boring yes but certainly lower impact than pavement.
2. Aqua jogging - The best non-impact substitute there is. Definitely worry about form and do not use the flotation vest
3. Walking - not just up hills but everywhere. Combine this with aqua jogging if you can.
4. Elliptical - a poor substitute

[edit] as the post immediately before mine mentions, barefoot running would be great too but logistically can be quite difficult.
Last edited by: JoeO: Aug 6, 09 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to Running [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

1) biking
2) swimming

Biking and swimming are obviously things necessary for triathlon but they are not a substitute for running. When race day comes you need to run too. If you are limited in how you can train for running, you need a better substitute.

Given all the alternatives people have posted here, I would rank them as follows

1. Running on dirt/trails -- absolutely.
2. Running on a treadmill - boring yes but certainly lower impact than pavement.
2. Aqua jogging - The best non-impact substitute there is. Definitely worry about form and do not use the flotation vest
3. Walking - not just up hills but everywhere. Combine this with aqua jogging if you can.
4. Elliptical - a poor substitute

[edit] as the post immediately before mine mentions, barefoot running would be great too but logistically can be quite difficult.

#1 and #2 are running so they aren't substitutes for running.

Nothing else is a good substitute for running, so that's why cycling/swimming will win in my book.

Additional swimming and running will improve your time to T2 so it's a no-brainer and when triathletes do any of those other silly alternatives when injured they are making a mistake (as it pertains to maintaining or improving their triathlon fitness).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious about aqua running. How deep should the pool be? The pool I swim in is well over my head for 1/3 to 1/2.

Running is beating up my body pretty bad. I planned on running 3 days a week and eliptical 3. But maybe I should look in aqua running instead. I could change clubs to find a proper pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Let's not debate semantics. They substitutes for running on pavement. Ones that do less damage. As the OP is trying to avoid injury, they might be enough. They are certainly better than any other substitute. It does not sound like the OP is injured and cannot run at ALL, just that he needs less running. Any of the substitutes I listed is a better supplement to running than more biking or swimming

In Reply To:

Nothing else is a good substitute for running, so that's why cycling/swimming will win in my book.

Aqua jogging is an excellent substitute for running. It doesn't give you the impact and the eccentric contractions that running will but it does simulate the motion quite well. Walking arguably simulates the motion better, it certainly comes closer to working the muscles in the same way. It gives you a little of the impact as well. Mostly it lacks is the anaerobic component.

Quote:

Additional swimming and running will improve your time to T2 so it's a no-brainer and when triathletes do any of those other silly alternatives when injured they are making a mistake (as it pertains to maintaining or improving their triathlon fitness).[/reply]
Additional swimming and running might improve your time to T2 if you are not doing enough of them but the lack of running or anything like it will kill your time afterwards. It's 3 disciplines, not 2.

I've personally witnessed D-1 runners come out of the water after a few months of aqua-jogging and set PRs within a few weeks. More than once. There is nothing silly about it
Last edited by: JoeO: Aug 6, 09 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If suffering from having your joints being beaten up... read this article from Slowman... http://www.slowtwitch.com/...f_good_form_947.html

Then, do the work to change how you move to decrease the stresses and strains being placed on your body. Running is NOT a dangerous activity... if you perform it optimally. And, yes, running form can and should be changed if the body is dealing with undo stress and strain.

I wish you the best.

ERIK

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by spectacular preparation."
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to Running [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am curious about aqua running. How deep should the pool be? The pool I swim in is well over my head for 1/3 to 1/2.

Running is beating up my body pretty bad. I planned on running 3 days a week and eliptical 3. But maybe I should look in aqua running instead. I could change clubs to find a proper pool.

I would recommend find a pool that is completely over your head the whole way. I would limit yourself to the 1/3 or 1/2 of the pool that fits this description.

This is purely personal experience, but I've never felt I got a whole lot of workout when I was trying to go hard on the part where my feet touch the bottom. Certainly not like when I was running without. Your experience may vary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little off topic. Has anybody actually try running in place, like without going anywhere. I ask just because I am trying to get back into training after many, many months of almost zero running (wife's health issues but thats another story). Unfortunaley sometimes I cannot leave the house to run and the treadmill makes too much noise (kids napping) so I thought what about just running in place while watching tv :) I am going to give it a go one of these days :)

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since not a single person has mentioned them yet as an alternative to running (link is to video of someone who won first race after 6 months of zero running) I will:

PowerCranks.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Last edited by: Frank Day: Aug 6, 09 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Let's not debate semantics. They substitutes for running on pavement. Ones that do less damage. As the OP is trying to avoid injury, they might be enough. They are certainly better than any other substitute. It does not sound like the OP is injured and cannot run at ALL, just that he needs less running. Any of the substitutes I listed is a better supplement to running than more biking or swimming

In Reply To:

Aqua jogging is an excellent substitute for running. It doesn't give you the impact and the eccentric contractions that running will but it does simulate the motion quite well. Walking arguably simulates the motion better, it certainly comes closer to working the muscles in the same way. It gives you a little of the impact as well. Mostly it lacks is the anaerobic component.

Quote:

Additional swimming and running will improve your time to T2 so it's a no-brainer and when triathletes do any of those other silly alternatives when injured they are making a mistake (as it pertains to maintaining or improving their triathlon fitness).

Additional swimming and running might improve your time to T2 if you are not doing enough of them but the lack of running or anything like it will kill your time afterwards. It's 3 disciplines, not 2.

I've personally witnessed D-1 runners come out of the water after a few months of aqua-jogging and set PRs within a few weeks. More than once. There is nothing silly about it[/reply]

Joe, you might be right about the OP's situation. I think we would both agree that if he can run in a modified way that's best.

Aquajogging is not a very good substitute for running IMO (qualification...not better than most other forms of cardio). You are not fighting gravity in the water so the muscles are not worked in the same way whatsoever. Nor are they worked in the same direction or in the same ratios.
When I was a single sport runner I did some and it was fine. As a triathlete I can't imagine not picking up the volume in another discipline.

Think about what you said for a minute when you said that additional swimming running MIGHT improve your time to T2 if you aren't already doing enough....
What's optimum volume for a cyclist? 200-300+ miles per week? For a swimmer? 30-50K per week? What triathlete is doing that much? None! NO TRIATHLETE is getting so much cycling that if he stopped running he wouldn't want more cycling.

As for your anecdote of a Div 1 runner getting PRs after aquatraining...I'll tell you about my identical experience with cycling. I spent my sophomore year of cross country injured and did nothing but 1 hour per day on my wind trainer. I was pushing so stinking hard I was able to hold my HR over 180 from 15-60 minutes in the workouts.
I only ran on Saturdays in the races and began PRing.

Since cycling can be just as good for the cardio system as aquajogging what triathlete wouldn't choose that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Since cycling can be just as good for the cardio system as aquajogging what triathlete wouldn't choose that?

Because the triathlete ostensibly doesn't want to have to walk after T2. If you get there ten minutes faster but have to walk a few miles of the run, it's not a boon. It's up to the OP to decide how much of each exercise he needs but cycling or swimming are not substitutes for running. They will not keep your running fitness to nearly the same degree

Cycling doesn't work the same muscles in nearly the same way. Yes, when aquajogging it is true you aren't getting the impact that comes from gravity but you are working the muscles in a much closer way to the actual sport. Specificity matters. Actually I recommended aquajogging and walking to try to give someone as close to the complete package as they can get. But I'd still take aquajogging alone over cycling as a substitute for running.

I'm mostly a runner so I can probably afford to do far less of that sport than other triathletes and still do well but I would never skip the specificity of the sport just to get to T2 faster. They don't hand out the medals there :-)

I guess the OP can try both approaches and see which he prefers.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to Running [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Since not a single person has mentioned them yet as an alternative to running (link is to video of someone who won first race after 6 months of zero running) I will:

PowerCranks.

Frank, do you buy ad space here?

Maybe the reason no one has mentioned them is becuase they are not a substitute for running. They are cycling.
Last edited by: JoeO: Aug 6, 09 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

PowerCranks.
Maybe the reason no one has mentioned them is becuase they are not a substitute for running. They are cycling.
You're sure of that, are you?

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Aug 6, 09 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

You never answered my question. Do you buy ad space on this website?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes.

You never answered my question. Do you buy ad space on this website?
Why don't you ask Dan that second question. If you find out I do or have you might note it seems it certainly hasn't done me much good as you have never seen it (or them) have you?

Perhaps you might want to watch one of these little videos (form, running improvement, rehab) and then tell me again how sure you are or why you would say that?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

PowerCranks.
You're sure of that, are you?

Things you have to ask yourself:

1) Am I replicating the shock loads of running with PCs?
2) Am I replicating the full range leg muscle motion with PCs?
3) Am I replicating the upper body muscle motion with PCs?
4) Or, combining 3 and 4, am I replicating the overall muscle kinematics with PCs (how about lateral stability?)?
5) Is my motion unconstrained as in real running or fully constrained as in cycling with PCs?

From an aerobic perspective, there are several parallels, but aerobics is but a part of the overall picture. The big one, IMO, is #5 above. With running you can change your stride length. With PCs, you are constrained and the response is COMPLETELY different (again, IMO).

Heck, even cycling isn't a good substitute for cycling! Cycling in a road vs. tri vs. 'bent position all work slightly different ways.

FWIW, for astronauts the weekly exercise is primarily composed of 3 types of exercise: cycling, running, and weights. The running and weight machines are designed to give a similar response as in a 1-g ground environment.

BTW, did you get feedback from the others in the PC study? It's been several weeks now and haven't seen any details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why don't you ask Dan that second question. If you find out I do or have you might note it seems it certainly hasn't done me much good as you have never seen it (or them) have you?[/quote]
Because I'm asking YOU that question. It's a simple answer. Yes or no?

You see, given how frequently you abuse these forums to hawk your product in the guise of "helping people", I would hope you buy quite a bit, whether it does you any good or not.
Quote Reply

Prev Next