Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ALCATRAZ
Quote | Reply
I qualified for Alcatraz '06 with an age group podium finish in a NE qualifier. Strong run, ok bike, but weak in the water. I have to accept the slot asap or pass. Any words of wisdom or advice from veterans of this race? JH
Quote Reply
Re: ALCATRAZ [johnh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go for it dude...haven't you heard that we float better in salt water? I have spend hundreds of hours in that area windsurfing and always felt safer there than driving the freeways. The water is not that cold...it is in the bay after all. I used to sail there in a shorty suit in Sept. People who whine about the temp there are wussies. Usually that time of year (and time of day) it will be foggy, light wind and relatively calm so don't sweat it.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call myself a veteran (this year was my 1st time), that is now my favorite race. Beautiful and challenging course. When you say "weak" in the water, do you mean slow, scared of open water, or do you have trouble keeping your head above water. For a non-swimmer I imagine SF Bay is intimidating, but really its not that bad. You have plenty of time to work on your swimming between now and then. If you honestly don't think you can handle the swim, then it may be too much for you (mentally if not physically). But if you think you can, then I say go for it. If you ask me, the bike is the hardest part of that race.......kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: ALCATRAZ [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Go for it dude...haven't you heard that we float better in salt water? I have spend hundreds of hours in that area windsurfing and always felt safer there than driving the freeways. The water is not that cold...it is in the bay after all. I used to sail there in a shorty suit in Sept. People who whine about the temp there are wussies. Usually that time of year (and time of day) it will be foggy, light wind and relatively calm so don't sweat it.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: ALCATRAZ [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, the water at Crissy is 50 degrees. NOBODY wears a shortie. I wear a full 4 mill drysuit and its still freezing, and I've been windsurfing for 20 years.
Quote Reply
Re: ALCATRAZ [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very seldom gets down to 50 degrees inside the bay. Maybe occasionally but not often. I'm plenty toast at OB in a good 4/3 and have never had cold problems on an Alcatraz swim and I am a 30+ minute mile guy.

To original poster, I'd do it. Its a fun race.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it. It's one of the few races worldwide that is (a) recognizable almost anywhere, and (b) is a must do at least once in your lifetime.

You know what your weakness is and have plenty of time to work on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John,

The swim is easier then you think. The current pulls you to where you are to exit out of the swim. Just sight on the Orange Fine Arts dome over near Fort Mason. The swim is always planned to be heading out towards the Golden Gate. Put your fears aside concerning the swim. It will be your fastest time ever in the water for this length of swim. Take a stop during the swim and check out the Golden Gate. Great race, which is run by an excellent group.
Quote Reply
Re: ALCATRAZ [kjsmitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>It will be your fastest time ever in the water for this length of swim. <<

Uh, not if you miss the angle and get caught up in an eddy or shoot past the finish and try to swim back against the current, or....

It COULD be, but not guaranteed. And thanks, yes, the volunteers are the bomb.

clm in sf where the water is too cold for me!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: ALCATRAZ [kjsmitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
John,

The swim is easier then you think. The current pulls you to where you are to exit out of the swim. Just sight on the Orange Fine Arts dome over near Fort Mason. The swim is always planned to be heading out towards the Golden Gate. Put your fears aside concerning the swim. It will be your fastest time ever in the water for this length of swim. Take a stop during the swim and check out the Golden Gate. Great race, which is run by an excellent group.
Depends on the year. Last year was superfast and supersunny. This year there were countless folks who supposedly had to be plucked from the water and repositioned. Stronnnnnng current.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: ALCATRAZ [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cath,

Thanks for pointing that out. You don't want to miss the beach @ the yacht club. Yes, I do love SF. Most beautiful city in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: ALCATRAZ [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or, if like me, you swim really conservatively in order not to overshoot the yaght club and the tide changes when you're 250 yards out.......kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply