Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 taper?
Quote | Reply
Doing Oceanside this year. In general, when do you guys think a person should start tapering?
Last edited by: mkellg1: Jan 28, 13 0:43
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 taper? [mkellg1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impossible question to answer with any confidence, given the variables - your training volume, intensity, frequency, limiters, age, experience, goals. PM me with that info and I will be happy to give you some input.

Mark Pomery
Certified Triathlon Coach (Triathlon Australia)
http://www.swimcyclerunonline.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mkellg1 wrote:
Doing Oceanside this year. In general, when do you guys think a person should start tapering?

That should be built into your plan. You do have a plan right?

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uhhh, your taper should be in your plan. You are training with a plan, right?
and this is why I love having a coach. I look at Training Peaks on Sun to see what he has planned for the following week and just do it. I never have to worry about stuff like this.....I just go into auto-pilot mode and get it done.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Last edited by: KyraMorgan: Jan 28, 13 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's an A race and I have had a good build phase, I will taper three weeks off the build. If I haven't really done a build, a week or less of easier stuff, but not really a 'taper".
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 taper? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That should be built into your plan. You do have a plan right?"

You might be shocked to discover that some people just kind of swim/bike/run a lot without having to have every single footstep and stroke planned out for them and annotated on some magical spreadsheet.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 taper? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah........Thats me.......run, tempo run, long run......bike, intervals/hills bike, long bike...swim 4x week......all year and ready to have fun all the time
Edit.....to answer the question I taper 2 weeks for a half.
Last edited by: Kenney: Jan 28, 13 18:39
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 taper? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2.

And I like a sharp taper since I'm usually training through 70.3s. Long run 10-12 days out, still do a decent long bike (nothing too crazy though) the weekend before, swimming normal until the latter half of race week when everything is super chill. I always take the day before totally off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As has been mentioned, different taper strategies work for different people, but here is what works for me:

I like to do a "race rehearsal" or 56 mile bike/6 mile run 2 weeks out from the race. That means all equipment the same as it will be on race day if the weather allows. I try to eat what I'm going to eat on race morning, and your nutrition should be what you are planning to do on race day. By the end of the 6 mile run, I will have a very good idea of how my pacing went and will be able to ask myself "Could I do another 6 miles at this run pace?" and to adjust my planned race pace accordingly. After that, the next 2 weeks look like:

M swim
T 1 hour bike w30'@ just faster than HIM race pace (90%FTP if you use power) followed by 20 min run@open hm pace
W swim AM, 1 hr run w/strides PM
R 1 hr bike w5x5' intervals, odds@FTP (1 hr race pace), evens @105% (so almost all out), 3' rest between, followed by 30' run w/3x5'@HIM race pace(1' rest between)
F swim-10' warmup then 2100 yds@race pace
S 10 mile run w/2x20'@HIM race pace -:05/mile (a little faster than race pace)
S 2 hr ride w/30'@90%FTP, 4x5'@FTP(3' rest)
M off
T Swim AM, 30' Run PM w3x5'@race pace (1' easy jog between)
W bike 45' w3x8'@HIM race pace (~85%FTP)
R Swim AM, 30' run PM w3x3'@race pace (1' easy jog between)
F 45' bike w3x6'@race pace (full race setup on bike, make sure everything works well)
S off
S race
Last edited by: kdw: Jan 28, 13 18:51
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 taper? [mcnnr27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcnnr27 wrote:
x2.

And I like a sharp taper since I'm usually training through 70.3s. Long run 10-12 days out, still do a decent long bike (nothing too crazy though) the weekend before, swimming normal until the latter half of race week when everything is super chill. I always take the day before totally off.

I would say especially the day before the race is very personal. I always take the 2nd last day off (or very easy ow swim) followed by a good night sleep. but on the day before the race I really test the arms and legs with some short (s: like 5*200, b: 3-4*5' r: fartlek 30'+1'+2'+30' with same rest in between) efforts just a bit above race pace. I often just feel a bit weired after restdays and this way my body is ready to go for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taper from doing what?

I have a friend that I raced with that didn't train much at all for some races and his last week was a normal training week while I did a 10 day taper.

So what will you be doing 2, 3 and 4 weeks out from your race?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 taper? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to revive this thread to get some input. I have been training for my first 70.3 (Quassy) doing about 10-13 hours a week. I look at my training plan from Matt Fitzgerald and the taper seems pretty short. Still doing 12 hours the week before race week and doing 4 hours race week (not including the race). Is that pretty normal? Compared to marathon training it seems like a pretty short taper to me. I would appreciate any feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 taper? [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've actually done the MF plan for HIM and thought the taper was perfect. I really think people overdo their taper.

jaretj
Quote Reply