Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
4 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this
Quote | Reply
Anyone else going to Outer Banks for the 70.3 or one of the other races and?
Last edited by: Fishbum: Sep 13, 17 4:08
Quote Reply
Re: 16 days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the Oly. I just made reservations yesterday and the lady was telling me the water has been pretty cold this summer compared to previous years. Last year the water in the sound was just above the limit for wetsuits (thank god). Hoping its warm this year because I don't want to use a wetsuit.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: 16 days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope it stays cold I'm doing the 70.3 and I would really like to use the wetsuit
Quote Reply
Re: 16 days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for the sprint. That was my first ever race so I'm going back to see how far I've progressed (feels like a lot) on that same course. Good luck! It's a nice course and well organized! I wonder if it'll be wetsuit legal or not this year...
Quote Reply
Re: 16 days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [bullmoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there's a pretty decent chance it will be wetsuit legal. The 70.3 is on Saturday but I'm going to stick around on Sunday as another friend of mine will also be doing the Sprint
Quote Reply
Re: 16 days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [bullmoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first race too so I am returning to see my progress. Looks like we will be close regarding water temp:

https://www.seatemperature.org/...manteo-september.htm

Quote Reply
Re: 16 days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were down and watched the race last year. That was the first year in a while that it was not wetsuit legal I believe but I could be wrong on that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would bank on it being wetsuit legal, water temperatures have been quite low on the island this year. I won the Olympic distance in 2013, my one and only overall win, mostly because no one showed up. This is really and truly a great event run by great people. My wife is from the Outer Banks and we spend a lot of time out there and it is great to see an event like this stay alive.
Quote Reply
Re: 16 days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [rbtripp5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what I'm more excited for the 70.3 or going to the Bonzer Shack and Tortugas after.
Quote Reply
Re: 11 days 19 hrs till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many more long runs/ride before the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So don't wear it if it's close, it's not mandatory unless the race director sets a minimum temp within USAT guidelines.
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 4, 17 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: 10 days 9 hrs till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really hoping Erma doesn't fuck everyone planning to do this race.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 days 9 hrs till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Really hoping Erma doesn't fuck everyone planning to do this race.

Shoot, I thought it would be out of here by this weekend. However, when I did the Washington Oly they canceled the swim due to water quality issues from all the rain. . .

Quote Reply
Re: 7 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your guys thoughts on everything? Are we going to be ok ???
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
What are your guys thoughts on everything? Are we going to be ok ???

I live in Raleigh, so about 4-5 hours out from Manteo. I think we will be good weather wise. The storm is tracking more to the west and the rainy part for us should be Monday and Tuesday. Someone did mention in the other thread that it may not be weather related necessarily with regard to weather the race is affected. Like if the cops or other volunteers are out dealing with the events that occurred earlier this week.

I am wondering though because I did a race this August in Washington, NC (coastal on the Pamlico) and the swim portion was canceled because we had a lot of rain the week before and run-off had pushed pollution, and probably septic/sewer material, into the water and it didn't pass the water quality test for swimmers to be in the race. I did the Oly on that race and they made it a run (1mile), bike (40k), run (10k). I can't say I preferred that, but what can you do? At least we still got to race.

Quote Reply
Re: 7 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because manteo is part of sound system, it has a lot of water movement what every 6 hours. So that area of water has better access to "flushing" itself out. Washington's river has some tidal flow but likely only 3-4% flow of what ocean is able to move, and middle of summer 80+ degree water sorta becomes "stagnant" and thus when rain water pushes all the hog farmers waste waters into the river system even more it causes bacteria issues.

(I was a Marine scientist in my former life)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 9, 17 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like George in Seinfeld?

Like Brooks says the Croatian Sound near Manteo and the Pamlico River in Washington are totally different types of systems. Should never see the problems at OBX that happened in Washington. If Washington was held in early summer, the problem with this year's race would most likely not happen.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's hope the sea is not angry next week!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or any you guys doing the 70.3 or you all just signed up for the Olympic?
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that is def good to hear

Quote Reply
Re: 6 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my bib number information in an email and it didn't mention any change ups. Hopefully we are all in the clear.

Quote Reply
Re: 6 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep me 2. BiB 121 wave 1A.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email from race directors this morning. Looks like it's game on!
Quote Reply
Re: 4 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fucking Jose! The area is under advisory for rip currents. Not sure how this affects the sound, but I imagine it will get choppy.

Quote Reply
Re: 4 Days till Outer Banks 70.3. Anyone else doing this [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it advisory for Rip currents only? You will be fine in that area of Manteo. That's more for direct shoreline on the beach, which is more critical when your relaxing on the beach with an adult beverage and want to go swim in ocean.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next