Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [gholmes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the release happening with the stock orange strap or the 'quick release' mount?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya I'd like to come up with a good way to keep this from happening to me. I want to swim in a sleeveless speedsuit this year instead of a cumbersome wetsuit. And that will prevent me from keeping the 310xt safe underneath my sleeve!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think it has something to do with how tight it is on your wrist i think if it is tight you wont have issues, if it however is worn looser it is more likely to come off. i don't think it should matter but i think that seems to be a trend.
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ya I'd like to come up with a good way to keep this from happening to me. I want to swim in a sleeveless speedsuit this year instead of a cumbersome wetsuit. And that will prevent me from keeping the 310xt safe underneath my sleeve!

Like I said I've never had that problem but just in case imlou (no wetsuit) and imf(short sleeve) I took a string tied it to both the bands through the holes in the bands. Then looped it so if one(not both) side comes loose its still hanging on my arm and hopefully if one side came off I can catch it as it happens and stuff it inside my wetsuit or suit.
Of course if both bands come off its gone.

Still might be how you wear it I wear mine pretty snug. I grabbed it this afternoon pulled on the straps pretty hard the pin didn't flex or come out so not sure its a major problem or just
random.
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is the release happening with the stock orange strap or the 'quick release' mount?

For me it's happening with the stock orange strap. Actually I have the quick release strap and it hasn't happened at all. But it uses the same pins so I wouldn't be surprised if it did later.

I emailed the company about it and they told me to send it in. They gave me an RMA # and everything. However nothing bad has happened so far as a result of the pin releases I've seen so I was just hoping there was some sort of "new and improved" pin that makes things better. So I emailed them back and specifically asked them if whatever they're going to do is some sort of improvement. Because the "defect", as it were is not specifically in my unit (I believe) but rather in the design.

I'll report back what they say.
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought mine in December. It is the orginal orange strap. I contacted Garmin last week about it. The rep said that they were aware of the problem. They are sending, for free, a fix kit with longer spins and replacement strap. He said that this should correct the problem. I really hope they are right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rep got back to me by email and said basically what Kinesio just said. He said that they were aware of the problem and there is a fix for it that is not simply a replacement. However he wants me to send mine in. I guess I'll do it but it would be nicer to simply have them send me a fix kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

It'll happen with both. In fact, by going to the quick release mount you're increasing the chance of this occuring because the 'installation' of the quick release kit pins means there's opportunities for failure (on the part of the user installing it, and the watch itself). The issue isn't the pins themselves, but really the weak-ass plastic holes on either side are too short to hold the pins strongly.

This coming from someone who basically semi-broke the demo version they sent me swapping the pins and then putting the wrong ones back in there. :( I just assumed it was a me-issue at the time - my inability to keep track of which pins were which, and thus causing the issue, in reality - it's just a poor design.

Now, once you do get it the quick release situation all fixed, the new quick release quarter-turn mount design means that thing ain't going nowhere...

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Called Garmin this afternoon and read the rep my serial numbers off the back of the unit. I was told I was ok since my watch was manufactured after the batch date. I did not inquire further as to specific batch dates or amount of reported problems - hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release: Update [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I exchanged my original 310XT that I bought in December, which had the spring pin problem, for a new one in January. Shortly thereafter, I received my Garmin Fix Kit. The kit includes two new watch bands. Two new spring pins. Tool and instructions.

In the photo below, the top Spring pin came with the 310XT. The Spring pin closest to the ruler came with the Fix Kit. As you can see they are both the same length.

When I spoke with the Garmin Rep, he said that they were aware of the problem. Their solution was to create the Fix Kit with longer spring pins. Since I do not have the original unit, I cannot compare the spring pin lengths from the two units. Hopefully this newest unit has the new spring pins installed. I have to give credit to Garmin, their customer service both from their on-line and telephone support has been GREAT!

Hopefully this will resolve the unexpected release. I really like the 310XT and that it has so much to offer. It is a great upgrade from my previous FR205. With that being said, tomorrow I will start using the new unit. At $400, if it releases again I will return it. I will then just wait and see what Garmin does for the next generation...or what the competition (Timex - http://www.timexironman.com/...ner_GPS.htm#watchtop) might have to offer.

My observation is that the spring pins and the plastic holes are too weak for the weight, torque, and stress that the 310XT takes at this joints. Granted, Garmin has really worked to reduce the size of their units.

The pins on my old trusty Polar Accurex HRM go all the way through the unit. Look at the Diving watches and Casio G-Shock’s. The pins go all the way through. Either way, it seems that Garmin is listening and will look into making a better product.

All the best,
-Joe
Last edited by: Kinesio: Jan 29, 10 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, it's never happened with the quick release kit. In fact, I am loathe to send mine in with the RMA they gave me because the quick-release kit has proven so much better at holding the thing on.

This makes sense. The quick release kit moves some of the pressure point away from the pins to the quarter sized screw. Now, when you bump and twist the band, it has very little pull on the pins --> less chance of them pulling out.
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I'm thinking about getting a garmin 310xt. Are there still pin issues if I order a garmin at this time and get the quick release for it?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yep another +1

+2.

Ben Schorr
http://www.twitter.com/hitriguy
Then: Hawaii 70.3 (2009, 2010), Longhorn 70.3 (10/17/2010), IM Texas (5/21/11)
Now: IM Arizona (11/20/2011)
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So I'm thinking about getting a garmin 310xt. Are there still pin issues if I order a garmin at this time and get the quick release for it?

Are the still pin issues with the original band that comes with the Garmin? Yes. They have not changed it as far as I know

Are there pin issues once you go to the quick release? No. That pretty much solved the problem for me. But that's also with the "old" quick release band. Apparently there is a new quick release kit which uses the nicer band that came with the watch. I assume that's just as good but I honestly don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lost a 310xt after 100 meters of the swim at Florida 70.3. I bought anoother one. I will not swim in one without putting it under a wetsuit or creating a sleeve for it. Sucky design!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [ragincajun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put it under your swim cap. You'll get a better track that way anyway
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release: Update [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I e-mailed Garmin to find out if my 301 XT serial number is one of the ones with the problem "they are aware of"Here's the reply I just received.

Thank you for contacting Garmin.I am happy to help with your query. There is not an issue with 310xt watch straps and the pins popping off. I am not sure what you mean by an upgrade kit, can you go in to more information please?

So how does one get the better pin kit?

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release: Update [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the pins release several times and a couple of my friends also have had the same problem. After contacting garmin they sent me the fix kit which seemed to be the same band and pins and the problem returned so after contacting Garmin again they sent me free of charge the quick release kit, which has worked flawlessly.

Then after I got the band issue fix I started having crazy reading with the hr function, after much time on the phone with Garmin again they reinstalled the software, but it didn't work, so I went to Kansas with out a hr strap and the 310 froze up completely. when I got home I called Garmin again and I sent it back and they sent me a new one. But the hr still didn't work so now they sent me a old model strap which works fine.

2011 Cannondale Caad10
2008 Cannondale 29er 2
2011 Felt Da
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release: Update [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So I e-mailed Garmin to find out if my 301 XT serial number is one of the ones with the problem "they are aware of"Here's the reply I just received.

Thank you for contacting Garmin.I am happy to help with your query. There is not an issue with 310xt watch straps and the pins popping off. I am not sure what you mean by an upgrade kit, can you go in to more information please?

Barb

Wow, I'm surprised they gave you that response. THEY KNOW there is a problem. I bought my Garmin 310XT last year the day it came out. Exactly 1 week later I lost it during a sprint triathlon. I immediately contacted Garmin and demanded a free replacement. At first they resisted but I quickly directed them to a few other complaints others had made online about the pins popping off unexpectedly. Shortly thereafter they sent me a replacement.

Screw the "better" pin kit and get the new quick release kit that allows you to use the existing 310XT strap instead. The easy pop out pins are replaced with pins that screw in nice and super secure.
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release: Update [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Screw the "better" pin kit and get the new quick release kit that allows you to use the existing 310XT strap instead. The easy pop out pins are replaced with pins that screw in nice and super secure.

This: https://buy.garmin.com/...pID=30292#productTab

or

This: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=62366

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release: Update [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know...I have one on order and it should be coming direct from Garmin, does a new one need the upgrade?
I am worried my new toy is going to fall off!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Barb

There is no better pin kit. The new pins they send you are the same as the old ones. Quick release kit is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release: Update [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is where to buy the new quick release kit

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=65811
Quote Reply
Re: 310XT Unexpected Spring Pin Release [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine just cracked at the pin hole and now wont stay together. Garmin RMA'd it ... very nice of them

Checkout http://www.iotexpert.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next