Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
?too old to be doing this?
Quote | Reply
A recent bike accident has caused my wife and MD to gang up on me and tell me that I'm too old to be riding in the hills. Such statements as "You're 50 and in denial about your age and abilities," etc have prompted me to ask when are you too old to bomb descents, ride in traffic, pacelines, and races? Personally, before I went down I was having the time of my life and had it ended there, I think I might have died happy. In truth, I can't wait to mend and go back to that same descent and ride it successfully.
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [LittleRingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not too old. just need to learn to have command of your bike.
Last edited by: beatnic_tx: Feb 23, 06 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you watch IMH this year? Still amazes me that Robert McKeague (80 years old) finished in 16:31. Awesome.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I am the new kid (I m 49) on the block here. I arrived here via an invitation from a fellow marathoner that thought I needed a change and therefore suggested Tri-trianing. Thta's all it took amd now I am hooked.

I am surprised a the cost of good equipment but I am looking forward to the diversity in trainining. With that said, to the subject at hand.....You are never to old to do what you love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my tri club we have to guys who are VERY active - they ride with the club and race often - one is 72 and the other just turned 70.

neither seems too old to me and BOTH have no intention of stopping in the sport

tell you wife and doc to go back to their rocking chairs and worry about more important things like what soft foods they will be eating for dinner - you have some training to get to

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You're 50 and in denial about your age and abilities...."

If you're in denial, I am right there with you(51).

Do what you love, love what you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 50 and I'm probably riding as well as I've ever ridden in my life. I'm looking forward to the start of the new racing season this weekend and it's my goal to win the state TT championship in my age group this year (I got second last year ... just shortly after my first-ever ride on a TT bike).

My wife accepts it and wouldn't think of denying me what she knows I enjoy so much. I've had a very comprehensive physical in the last two months and my doctor said, "I think the years have proven that your body can handle it." I was checked out by a cardiologist who said, "you have the heart of a healthy 20-something year old. Don't stop doing what you're doing."

I was hit by a car and very seriously injured a few years ago. The doc in the ER said, "were it not for the incredible shape you're in from all your cycling, you'd be dead." Today I may actually be riding better than at any other time in my life. Cycling helped me defy all the odds and timetables in my recovery program.

I pray for God's protection every time I get on the bike and head down the road. I know the activity has its dangers. But the benefits are just too incredible. Life has its dangers. I don't want to die crossing the street to get a Krispy Kreme.

Just my opinion, but I think your wife and MD are giving you bad counsel. Of course, some people are as bad at cycling as they are at driving. If you're one of those, maybe it's good counsel. ;-)

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not too old by a long shot but it is natural to question things after a bad spill. My wife had a bad fall a few months back and has never been the same mentally. She is a very nervous, unconfident rider now. I am encouraging her to keep riding which makes me nervous since it will be my fault if she has another fall. If you love the sport, keep riding. Do all the things you already know to avoid risks, and as psycholist says, say a little prayer before you leave.

Quote | Reply
I'm turning 55 this summer... and I'm still addicted to that edgy, nervous, feeling you get as you get closer to an event. First TT is this Sunday and I'm excited, almost as much as the first time I put my feet in the starting blocks in the 6th grade.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [Jay Rideout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm turning 55 this summer... "

Same here. Excited to be moving into a new AG. Didn't think it would be possible to feel good to be getting older.

Aging is something that happens to the best of us. If you're not getting older it means that you're already dead. So it's not such a bad option after all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are too old to bomb descents when you are too old to climb the hill. You are too old to ride in traffic when you are too old to drive in traffic. You are too old for pacelines when you can't stay with the group. You are too old to race when it isn't fun anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed... there was a certain amount of glee with that "racing age" entry.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hogwash. The 50-59 age group is the 4th largest age grouping in triathlon. You quit now and move to golf or some other sedintary lifestyle and you will only guarantee more repeat business for your MD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be a little contrarian on the "anybody can do anything for as long as they want" idea, how many times have you crashed on your bike recently? If you just had the inevitable big one which can happen to anyone, no problem.

But, if you are noticing (or loved ones are noticing) an increase in crashes or close calls, it is possible that you may be losing just enough of your skills with age that you could be getting into a zone where it may not be completely safe to ride like you did when you were 30. There is no denying that your skills will decline a little as you age, (although 50 is not really old) so to some dgree, how long you can safely ride in less than ideal conditions depends to on where you start on the skill curve. I know lots of guys who ride hard and well into their 70's. I'm sure they are not quite as nimble as they were 40 years ago but I have no fear following them in a tight pace line. I also know some younger folks whose bike skills are such that even a 5% decline would put them well into the serious danger catagory.

Just do a little self analysis. But even if you decide you can no longer safely duke it out in a sprinting pack or slice through traffic like a bike messenger, there is no reason to quit riding all together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
58 here, can't wait to hit 60! :)

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People over 30 in many sports have doubts, whether the doubts are 'true' or not. I've actually heard people at 35 years old say that they are creaky and old... me, I felt that way at 36 or 37 because of my circumstances at that time....despite the fact that it WASN'T true: I wasn't old, I just felt that way.

I'm in a book called "Fit Over 40: Role Models for Excellence at Any Age". At age 40 (when the book was written, over a year ago), I was one of the youngest people in the book; it surprised me that the authors asked me to be IN the book. I was one of the editors and interviewers of 50 people, so I interviewed some incredible people: one man is an author in Hollywood, who at 65, had a bike accident at 55 and STEPPED UP his training so he'd be stronger in case he ever got into an accident again. Another woman took up bodybuilding at 50 - after being fat. Another women took up bodybuilding to lose weight after a terrible work accident at age 46. These are just a few of the stories of people who didn't use age as a factor. (Note: the book is not about endurance athletes, unfortunately. The main author only liked bodybuilders/hypertrophied people, so that's who we sought)

You already have a good attitude about riding. The best thing to do is assess the details of the accident to see what you could have done differently. If there was an "ability" problem, work on increasing your skills. If it's a [training/racing] course problem, improve your handling.

I don't agree with the person who said that the Doc just wanted more sedentary clients. I believe you need to have a good talk with your wife and the doc and say that you want to continue biking - and you will do it SAFELY with or without their blessings. They can either help you pursue this passion or you will do it alone - but you prefer their support.

That being said, if you think AT ALL that you are having trouble in descents, traffic, races ... consider 'translating' (sliding) to a different biking form or getting a coach to assist you improve.

My 2c
Lauren
age almost 42, not stopping yet

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
People over 30 in many sports have doubts, whether the doubts are 'true' or not. I've actually heard people at 35 years old say that they are creaky and old... me, I felt that way at 36 or 37 because of my circumstances at that time....despite the fact that it WASN'T true: I wasn't old, I just felt that way.

I'm in a book called "Fit Over 40: Role Models for Excellence at Any Age". At age 40 (when the book was written, over a year ago), I was one of the youngest people in the book; it surprised me that the authors asked me to be IN the book. I was one of the editors and interviewers of 50 people, so I interviewed some incredible people: one man is an author in Hollywood, who at 65, had a bike accident at 55 and STEPPED UP his training so he'd be stronger in case he ever got into an accident again. Another woman took up bodybuilding at 50 - after being fat. Another women took up bodybuilding to lose weight after a terrible work accident at age 46. These are just a few of the stories of people who didn't use age as a factor. (Note: the book is not about endurance athletes, unfortunately. The main author only liked bodybuilders/hypertrophied people, so that's who we sought)

You already have a good attitude about riding. The best thing to do is assess the details of the accident to see what you could have done differently. If there was an "ability" problem, work on increasing your skills. If it's a [training/racing] course problem, improve your handling.

I don't agree with the person who said that the Doc just wanted more sedentary clients. I believe you need to have a good talk with your wife and the doc and say that you want to continue biking - and you will do it SAFELY with or without their blessings. They can either help you pursue this passion or you will do it alone - but you prefer their support.

That being said, if you think AT ALL that you are having trouble in descents, traffic, races ... consider 'translating' (sliding) to a different biking form or getting a coach to assist you improve.

My 2c
Lauren
age almost 42, not stopping yet

Good reply Coach. I was 40 before I ever started exercising or eating right. Sure wish I would have been smarter in my earlier years. Better late then never (I hope).

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post, Lauren.

To the original poster, I'd like to add:

I competed in the 50-54 age group at my state TT championships this year. I finished second. I was "only" 49 at the time, but because of the way USCF determines racing age, I had to race 50-54.

The time I recorded would have won if I'd been allowed to race in the 45-49 age group per my real age.

There are many folks who reach the 50s and, because children have left the nest and careers have already been made, find they have more time for training and racing. It's a time when, for many folks, athletic careers really blossom.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: ?too old to be doing this? [LarryM96815] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Good reply Coach. I was 40 before I ever started exercising or eating right. Sure wish I would have been smarter in my earlier years. Better late then never (I hope)."

Exactly: better late than never. Imagine the incredible resource you are to help others, even if it's the assistance to help other NOT do what you did before 40.

Learn from your mistakes and move on, use the information for yourself and others. Be a role model to yourself and others.

best to you,
Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I turn 58 on Sunday. I am daring someone to tell me I can't do this anymore.

As long as you enjoy it and take care of yourself why not do the things you enjoy?
Heck my wife is giving me a new bicycle for my 60th Birthday!!
Best to you

fal7 in Houston
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guys in my AG (50-54) are the toughest, meanest, nastiest, SOBs God ever invented. I am honored to just be able to line up with them and start on the same cannon blast. What happens over the course of that next 11 hours is, in may views, defining. I feel like I'm 20 something on the bike, and over 80 on the run. Little Ring Man: It is a good day to train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Good reply Coach. I was 40 before I ever started exercising or eating right. Sure wish I would have been smarter in my earlier years. Better late then never (I hope)."

Exactly: better late than never. Imagine the incredible resource you are to help others, even if it's the assistance to help other NOT do what you did before 40.

Learn from your mistakes and move on, use the information for yourself and others. Be a role model to yourself and others.

best to you,
Lauren

Lauren,

Thanks for the compliments. Here is my wife Diane and I in 1971:

http://i5.photobucket.com/...ianeLarry1971too.jpg

Here we are today:

http://i5.photobucket.com/...Christmas2005002.jpg

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bullshit!!

The last time I did the Boulder Peak Tri, there was a dude there, about 80 years old, who also did it. The bike course has Old Stage Hill, which gains 600' in 2/3 of a mile, followed by a 50 mph descent down Left Hand Canyon (I think I have all of those right). The cheer for this guy when he finished was greater than when the pros finished.

Keep on ridin', wherever you want to....

Spot

Quote | Reply
"Here we are today:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Larrym96815/Christmas2005002.jpg"

WOW! Can you ADOPT me?? You two look beeeeaauuuutiful!! Wow! What verve! What spirit, evidenced in your healthful vigor - even behind those sunglasses!

So, please answer for everyone, what is YOUR 'secret' (*coff*coff*) for energy, beauty, vivacity?

Lauren
She who asks many questions...

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply

Prev Next