Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift jumps the shark (yet again)
Quote | Reply
This time, it apparently removes one's height and mass from being publicly viewable on ZwiftPower. It also apparently means that it has instituted other changes such as instituting a 2-hour pre-race weigh-in submission window (as opposed to allowing body mass from +/- 24 hours of the event from being used).

It probably doesn't affect that many people (only those who races quite a bit), but this really seems like a step in the wrong direction. Though I have been continuously paying for my subscription going back 3.5 years, if this increases prevalence of cheating, it may be the end of the road for me.

I'm also very suspicious of how Zwift is spreading the news, as the news was released yesterday on its forum (which I almost never frequent), as opposed to an email sent to its paying members. The organization just appears to be incredibly ham-fisted when it comes to so many issues...
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift does, has and will not care about what happens in "Weekly TT Tempis race USA #1 C Category." It's honestly probably better for them to ignore cheating as much as possible (outside for stakes races of course) because you don't want to lose those $15/mo subscriptions from some dude lying about his weight either.

There is a market for a program (or something promoted/integrated by zwift) that actually does take real steps to address this. There are plenty of races that fire every day, and the chat log is always full of people complaining about zpower/weight dopers. There is an audience. I bet they'd even pay more for it...

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only done a handful of "big" Zwift races, but I'm astounded how other riders have the ability to coherently type messages about the cheaters in the midst of a 4 w/kg race... Guilty conscience needs no accuser...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These changes and your rant about these changes rank very near the bottom of things to be concerned about for the overwhelming majority of people.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
These changes and your rant about these changes rank very near the bottom of things to be concerned about for the overwhelming majority of people.

I have no idea to which cohort you refer when you write "people". While it's true that most in North America couldn't give a damn about racing on Zwift, the same is true of just about every other topic on the Slowtwitch Triathlon forum.

In which case, try working on writing clearly before you go around throwing shades.
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 16, 21 16:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having seen some of the fat shaming and disordered eating related posts in the middle of large group rides, I honestly don't think it's a *bad* thing.

And, at least for, say, WTRL events, you can still be randomly selected for pre-race weigh-ins and requiring proof. So I don't think it's *that* big of an issue for the races that Zwift actually seems to care about results for.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
logella wrote:

I have no idea to which cohort you refer when you write "people". While it's true that most in North America couldn't give a damn about racing on Zwift, the same is true of just about every other topic on the Slowtwitch Triathlon forum.

In which case, try working on writing clearly before you go around throwing shades.

Obviously he means people on Zwift. You should also write clearer I don’t understand why anyone would be throwing shades at people. He is also correct, no one cares. People want to act like they are going faster on Zwift. That is all that matters to the vast majority of people riding. People hate the jungle circuit, why? Because there average speed is slower, you can’t level up as fast so people don’t ride it. Even though if you understood training the speed you are going virtually or in real life is irrelevant.

Furthermore, the change is actually due to some complaints that were fired off due to this affecting people mentally that are good cyclists, but now were consistently needing to focus on weight to be competitive in these races. I’d have to search for it online, but there was a recent blog post by one of the female pro cyclists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
This time, it apparently removes one's height and mass from being publicly viewable on ZwiftPower. It also apparently means that it has instituted other changes such as instituting a 2-hour pre-race weigh-in submission window (as opposed to allowing body mass from +/- 24 hours of the event from being used).

It probably doesn't affect that many people (only those who races quite a bit), but this really seems like a step in the wrong direction. Though I have been continuously paying for my subscription going back 3.5 years, if this increases prevalence of cheating, it may be the end of the road for me.

I'm also very suspicious of how Zwift is spreading the news, as the news was released yesterday on its forum (which I almost never frequent), as opposed to an email sent to its paying members. The organization just appears to be incredibly ham-fisted when it comes to so many issues...

It's an interesting process to watch for sure.
Pretty much the same scenario as with other social media platforms and their challenges keeping people interested and catering to a majority, not some elite and vocal minority.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I've only done a handful of "big" Zwift races, but I'm astounded how other riders have the ability to coherently type messages about the cheaters in the midst of a 4 w/kg race... Guilty conscience needs no accuser...

The built-in dictate feature of Android/iOS (used by the Companion app) is the best way to chat while in-game. And it's remarkably good.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 16, 21 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
but now were consistently needing to focus on weight to be competitive in these races. I’d have to search for it online, but there was a recent blog post by one of the female pro cyclists.

That doesn't change, though, does it? Zwift is concealing the public nature, but are heavily invested in weight-based physics. That's where Zwift is kind of stuck. Cake, eat it too, etc. Though I can't think of any obvious way out of that. Weight is super important in real world cycling too, of course. Zwift is just approximating that.

But it still won't be hard to work out approximate weights, given that W/kg and W #'s are still public, apparently.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 16, 21 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Grantbot21 wrote:
but now were consistently needing to focus on weight to be competitive in these races. I’d have to search for it online, but there was a recent blog post by one of the female pro cyclists.

That doesn't change, though, does it? Zwift is concealing the public nature, but are heavily invested in weight-based physics. That's where Zwift is kind of stuck. Cake, eat it too, etc. Though I can't think of any obvious way out of that. Weight is super important in real world cycling too, of course. Zwift is just approximating that.

But it still won't be hard to work out approximate weights, given that W/kg and W #'s are still public, apparently.

Oh I agree with you but I don’t have an eating disorder/weight problem... I mean I have a weight problem but it’s Girl Scout cookie imposed lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Having seen some of the fat shaming and disordered eating related posts in the middle of large group rides, I honestly don't think it's a *bad* thing.

And, at least for, say, WTRL events, you can still be randomly selected for pre-race weigh-ins and requiring proof. So I don't think it's *that* big of an issue for the races that Zwift actually seems to care about results for.

I don't think many will argue about the intent behind it. It always comes down to execution.

I think one has to remember that ZwiftPower was created almost exclusively for the subset of people who race on Zwift. This subset was sick of the free-for-all type stuff in races (e.g. sandbaggers and weight dopers) and wanted a place where the miscreants could be identified. Zwift's plan to remove height and mass info from ZwiftPower kinda goes against the whole premise of the latter.

I would agree with removing height and mass for those who don't race on Zwift; these info just are not necessary for group rides and similar events. However, it also has to be said that one should be subject to greater scrutiny, when one participates in races (or certain types of races), and you seem to agree with this stance in principle (when you pointed to the WTRL requirements). This mirrors IRL racing, where those who toe the line at sanctioned races all agree to doping control when requested. I'm merely pointing out that it is not that big of a burden on Zwfiters who wish to participate in certain types of races to opt-in for mass and height info.

The other issue, of course, is how Zwift tried to "bury the lede" on this. This should have been widely spread and publicized; instead, Zwift tucked it into a forum post.
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 16, 21 17:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really wasn't *that* buried. If ZwiftInsider is doing a front page story on it, it's pretty much out as far in the open as its going to get.

Keep in mind that Zwift now owns ZwiftPower. It's why they're moving in the direction across all of their properties. (There's also a GDPR question as to whether or not height/weight data constitutes health data and a stricter form of scrutiny in the EU.) It 100% makes sense to me.

Doing it via WTRL, which is pretty much a private process, shakes out fine in my book.

I really just don't think it's *that* big of a deal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
It really wasn't *that* buried. If ZwiftInsider is doing a front page story on it, it's pretty much out as far in the open as its going to get.

Keep in mind that Zwift now owns ZwiftPower. It's why they're moving in the direction across all of their properties. (There's also a GDPR question as to whether or not height/weight data constitutes health data and a stricter form of scrutiny in the EU.) It 100% makes sense to me.

Doing it via WTRL, which is pretty much a private process, shakes out fine in my book.

I really just don't think it's *that* big of a deal.

I'm not sure how much of an audience ZwiftInsider has. Whatever it is, I'd bet you dollars to donuts that it is less than what Zwift could reach by emailing to all of its current subscribers.

As for the GDPR issue, what exactly is the implication, if it is determined that mass and height do constitute health data? Is there actually a relevant issue, or is this merely an excuse behind which Zwift could hide. Also, I'm pretty sure after GDPR, people already registered on ZwiftPower actually had to opt-in for a second time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically that if it is considered health data, it should be private, period -- full stop. Doesn't matter whether you have an opt in or not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Basically that if it is considered health data, it should be private, period -- full stop. Doesn't matter whether you have an opt in or not.

Thanks for addressing that. I guess Zwift wouldn't want to be the guinea pig case on breadth of GPDR coverage.

That said, something else just came to mind. I am not a lawyer, and I am not familiar with health laws, either in the U.S. or in the EU. Having said that, if height and mass are considered privileged due to classification as health data, then what about HR? Certainly the argument could be made (by a regular layperson such as myself) that if height and mass qualify as health data, then HR, especially as response to exertion, should also be considered to be health data.

However, that Zwift appears not to remove HR info from ZwiftPower would appear to create a contradiction. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on this could shed light on this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trail wrote:
Grantbot21 wrote:

I think the pro cyclist in question is Alice Lethbridge, and she wrote the following in response to Zwift HQ's original post.
Quote:

I have a history of eating disorders. My first race in zwift, I could immediately see that at 175cm and 66kg I was pretty much the heaviest woman in the race. Outdoors I had been riding well, my weight hasn’t been an issue to me and I was doing well with battling the eating disorder voices that never go away completely. But now I immediately felt embarrassed that everyone could see how ‘heavy’ I was compared to the other riders. I got a great 20 min wkg that day (5.0) but that was overshadowed by how rubbish I felt about my weight.

Even though I tried to fight it, I rapidly slipped into disordered eating again. Had I only been able to see I had the best 20 min wkg in the TT and had come second, that wouldn’t have happened in the same way. Yes, I may still have realised a kg loss here or there would ‘help’, but I wouldn’t have seen how many other women my height were 5-8kg lighter.

The weight and height data being visible on every single event provides another way for riders to compare themselves. You don’t focus on training to improve your absolute power, you end up drawn into losing weight to match your peers (or to keep yourself lighter than them).

When I spoke up about my difficulties at the end of season 2 of ZRL, I was overwhelmed by how many people from premier division though to D category contacted me to say the display of weight on zwift also created pressure for them to lose weight.

Eating disorders are really complex and really hard to understand, even for professionals like GPs. I don’t expect people to get it but I just really hope they can see that this could be so significant in saving people from permanent health issues

being the pedantic git that I am, I looked up the race she mentioned.

I'm not at all sure that taking away a few pieces of data would lead to anything different. Presumably, after implementation of the new rules, ZwiftPower would still show that she did 327 W (which is a tremendous amount power if done in a TT position) for 22:15, while the person who won did 279 W for 22:03. Of course, the "red cape" in the form of actual mass is no longer shown, but she does know that speed on Zwift is dependent on w/kg and height, and it wouldn't require too much more for her to figure out the mass of the person who bested her. What then?

Also, as an aside, this is a prime example of the shite physics simulation on Zwift. How is it possible that 327 W (and 5 W/kg) could be slower than 279 W (and 4.7 W/kg) on a flat course?
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 16, 21 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Thanks, I was about to say that, too. I didn't even know weight was a public metric until reading this post. I just tried to work it out by Wkg & Watts, as you said.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what they have done is a knee jerk reaction, one with good intentions and that will be a good step for some, but one that unfortunately doesn't consider realties of Zwift racing/zwiftpower. For example, most times riders are exposed as serial cheaters in terms of weight and height doping it comes from the community, through looking at zwiftpower results, and raising it from there. Race organisers on the whole are too busy living their lives and putting the events on to be able to do this, and now the community will become unable to do it as well. Another example is the process of joining teams, for example I race for a team on zwift where you apply, your zwiftpower is scrutinised to try to confirm legitimacy among other things and then you are/aren't accepted onto the team. Without weight/height data visible (specifically changes in over short periods of time) then this becomes a hell of a lot harder.

I think ultimately that it's not a bad idea from zwift, but that it should be implemented alongside meaningful controls on zwift racing to help provide some further semblance of legitimacy; not every race needs to be subject to these further checks, but only providing any meaningful control on the ZRL premier league and at the end of the season in A1 divisions is NOT enough.

Zwift are currently caught in the position of being THE indoor riding platform at the moment (no offence to RGT which I love for stage races), and have a massively growing base of riders who just wanna enjoy riding inside, who want something very different to the group that loves to race competitively on the platform and the opportunities that it provides. It comes down to priorities in the end and I feel like I can say with some certainty that the racing group are not the priority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Also, as an aside, this is a prime example of the shite physics simulation on Zwift. How is it possible that 327 W (and 5 W/kg) could be slower than 279 W (and 4.7 W/kg) on a flat course?

Aerodynamics, except zwift doesn't have a way to account for that so your point stands. Alex Dowsett (alongside being at Altitude ; )) is one of the top TT guys in the world but isn't great on zwift as he's tall, not the lightest and can't put his aerodynamics into it. I by no means am saying aerodynamics should become a part of zwift racing but that's why zwift TT's aren't exactly a benchmark event very often.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you make quite a few cogent points.

I have a feeling that Zwift implemented the changes expressly in response to what Lethbridge said. If one keeps scrolling down on that particular forum post where ZwiftHQ announced this, it's clear that Lethbridge herself is fully in support of both the general aim and specific implementation adopted, in particular the fact that w/kg and raw watts will both still be available publicly, but mass and height will be both hidden.

It seems what sets her off is comparison of mass amongst people of similar height, and she believes that without mass and height info public, she wouldn't be drawn into the type of irrational thinking. And behold, the changes adopted are pretty much what she would like to see, not necessarily what would be conducive to Zwifters with eating disorder at large. I particularly find her response, when challenged with the fact that body mass is still easily derivable, to be sort of a cop-out, namely that she won't be arsed to calculate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I laughed almost out loud seeing the reasoning “unhealthy weight habits”. Folks game the height and weight to cheat. Sure a few may do wrestling style weight loss stuff before events, but that doesn’t bode well for endurance sport anyway.

All this does is make cheating more prevalent.

Want to not race A group and get destroyed? Just put your weight at 100kg for that B group flat race where you average 350w the whole time. Sure.

It amazes me how obtuse the view of racers in Z land looks versus real life weeknight worlds or races.

Real life you can’t hide behind faked weight, height, or a wonky power.

I only use it now for free ride and structured workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because its "just a video game" to many users, and easy ways of cheating are just a google search away, and Zwift's owners and management care about membership revenue over race accuracy, Zwift "racing" will always be a joke. Use Zwift for a training tool, and you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so Zwift obviously cares about speaking to a wider market, so does that provide rouvy an opportunity to fill a void for the niche crowd that would prefer accuracy over “fun?”

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jumps the shark (yet again) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d say RGT are better positioned in terms of racing, they seem to be quite active in putting on good racing and you can take part for free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I think you make quite a few cogent points.

I have a feeling that Zwift implemented the changes expressly in response to what Lethbridge said. If one keeps scrolling down on that particular forum post where ZwiftHQ announced this, it's clear that Lethbridge herself is fully in support of both the general aim and specific implementation adopted, in particular the fact that w/kg and raw watts will both still be available publicly, but mass and height will be both hidden.

It seems what sets her off is comparison of mass amongst people of similar height, and she believes that without mass and height info public, she wouldn't be drawn into the type of irrational thinking. And behold, the changes adopted are pretty much what she would like to see, not necessarily what would be conducive to Zwifters with eating disorder at large. I particularly find her response, when challenged with the fact that body mass is still easily derivable, to be sort of a cop-out, namely that she won't be arsed to calculate it.

‘We changed our platform due to vocal customer complaint over perceived sensitivities regarding alleged subversive ‘weight shaming’.”

You guys wanting fairer racing need to get better at your game to connect your grievances to socially accepted trigger points.
‘I threw a tantrum because Zwift
lets others cheat in races’ obviously won’t work.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 17, 21 12:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next