Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad
Quote | Reply
What are the primary differences between Zwift Workout Mode and TrainerRoad for custom erg workouts?

I love TrainerRoad and have been using their cycling workouts for a couple years now. I couldn't resist the call to Zwift however so I have been riding around in Zwift while doing a trainerroad erg workout, plus the occasional zwift race or group ride. I am now using a coach's workouts and no longer rely on TR's workouts. I am looking for a program that will control my smart trainer in erg mode to execute my prescribed workouts. This is TrainerRoad's bread and butter, but since I am not using their workouts anymore, the TrainerRoad value proposition is less compelling. My options seem to be to build custom TR workouts or build custom Zwift workouts.

Am I loosing any functionality or quality by just doing the erg workouts using Zwift's workout mode instead of TrainerRoad? If it is a factor, I use a kickr and PowerTap pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you create a custom workout in training peaks (which is super easy to do - way easier than TR workout creator), zwift will automatically pull that into zwift and give it to you as an option if you click the training tab.

Biggest problem I have with zwift for structured workouts is that they don’t display lap power, which is a must have for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rouvy has a direct link to your TP account and allows for you to do your daily workouts seamlessly. The UI is pretty boring on Rouvy, overlaying it on Zwift may be the best option.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
If you create a custom workout in training peaks (which is super easy to do - way easier than TR workout creator), zwift will automatically pull that into zwift and give it to you as an option if you click the training tab.

More than once I have asked TrainerRoad to add this feature but they don't seem interested. It would make life much simpler if they did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i’m a subscribing member to both zwift and trainerroad.

i recreate all the workouts from tr in zwift. kinda a pain, but i get the trusted structure and great workouts from tr and the gamification of zwift. best of both worlds for me.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift workout creator is much easier than TR.
I like the Zwift FTP test as it shows average power. I am not sure why they cannot do that with other intervals.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you coach prescribes i TP it might load automatically into Zwift (given the setup of how he presribes them).
Zwifts own workouts, and visibility in the system is far below TR. But if you build your workouts in Training Peaks and let them migratete to zwift all should be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
What are the primary differences between Zwift Workout Mode and TrainerRoad for custom erg workouts?

I love TrainerRoad and have been using their cycling workouts for a couple years now. I couldn't resist the call to Zwift however so I have been riding around in Zwift while doing a trainerroad erg workout, plus the occasional zwift race or group ride. I am now using a coach's workouts and no longer rely on TR's workouts. I am looking for a program that will control my smart trainer in erg mode to execute my prescribed workouts. This is TrainerRoad's bread and butter, but since I am not using their workouts anymore, the TrainerRoad value proposition is less compelling. My options seem to be to build custom TR workouts or build custom Zwift workouts.

Am I loosing any functionality or quality by just doing the erg workouts using Zwift's workout mode instead of TrainerRoad? If it is a factor, I use a kickr and PowerTap pedals.

I was always a big fan of Trainer Road as their support is second to none and their podcast is awesome... unfortunately I haven't actually been on TR in months and I don't see myself doing so anytime soon. At this point the only reason I subscribe is b/c some of the athletes I coach use TR and prefer TR workouts. I'm moving most people over to Zwift as I have most every workout I want created in Training Peaks and it's so easy to pull it into Zwift (just be sure to name the workout or it won't work!). TR is rolling out new features like the calendar but I use TP so it doesn't really do anything for me. At this point Zwift does everything I've used TR for, and adds the fun of riding with others, racing when things get dull, etc. As much as it pains me to say this as I love the guys at TR, I just don't see the value for myself anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use manual ERG mode for your repeats and control it yourself. This also allows you to add/extend/split intervals as needed.

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to TR, but I can answer a lot of questions about Zwift's workout mode, since it's probably the one part of the product that I work on the most. Most of the best stuff still requires editing the ZWO file with a TextEditor, but I'm hoping to get more of this rolled into the UI at some point.

Couple of things that I really love about our workout builder:
- Ramps. These are actually way better now than they were. Used to be that they operated in 20w steps, which was largely because - prior to FEC and FTMS - trainer response times were just all over the place and a lot of trainers would just stop processing commands if they got behind. The 20w step wasn't great - though it wasn't bad - but it wasn't really a ramp. We recently shifted to ramps where they adjust every 15sec, which makes them way better. We're testing shifting this to actually being definable in the workout itself so if you've got a nice, new trainer, you can set it to 1s updating, which I've tested and love. Ramps are something that you really cannot mimic outside. I use ramps - both incline and decline - ramps in my training probably more than anything else.

- FreeRide. The best part about FreeRide is the hidden (for now) FlatRoad="1" or FlatRoad="0" tag that you put inside a FreeRide block. FlatRoad="1" is what most people expect. The trainer treats that block as if you were on flat ground and you can fine tune the resistance. But the hidden gem here is FlatRoad="0" which basically turns Zwift's terrain back on. One of my favorite workouts is structured warmup & intervals, long stretch of FreeRide with FlatRoad="0" where I can actually ride the terrain and then back to structure intervals at the end. So I get the best of both worlds. The best of Zwift's virtual terrain in the middle of a workout and also the best of ERG mode and structured training at the start/end.

- Average display - MOST people use ERG mode, which is why we don't show average, especially now that we have it so that you can pair a Powermeter & Smart Trainer and still use ERG mode (and it's really good). So I use my Quarq & KICKR and the power from Quarq controls the KICKR, which is a great experience (IMO). I recently had our devs make a code change so for any *FreeRide* block you can now show the average, just like with the FTP test. You just need to insert the show_avg="1" tag into a FreeRide block using a text editor.

Of these features, it's really the FlatRoad="0" that I evangelize the most, because it's something you could not do outside of Zwift. You need to have virtual terrain to mimic...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting I have noticed that on free ride but how do I change to 0
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [MattQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being an unemployed engineer I spent a lot of time creating the whole TR library on TP (a lot of copy and paste) which then get transferred to Zwift, That's allow me to use the nice feature from TP with the TR workouts, I still use TR when I don't want to Zwift and rather do netflix (I am on the grandfathered plan so it's not so much)..

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That TR Calendar was really a swing and miss by TR in my mind and a surprisingly tone deaf response to the current market. 90% of their customers who have any interest in that level of tracking and monitoring are already using TP which specializes in just that functionality. I really hope it works out for TR because I really like the guys, the podcast, etc. and have been a faithful customer for years, but from my perspective they really just spent a lot of money to be a beta version of TP that few people were asking for as far as I can tell.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, but a lot of us were using the free version of TP, which doesn’t let you schedule workouts more that a day or so out. Having the calendar within the TR app lets me schedule the full plan. I wish that the app would allow the same degree of control as the website, but honestly, I like it overall. I haven’t even touched TP since I’ve started using the TR calendar.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started with Zwift workouts and moved to TR. I personally love TR. I dont get anything out of watching a video game, so the gamification didnt do anything for me. I like TR for the sheer structure of the workouts.

Cancelled Zwift and kept TR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That TR Calendar was really a swing and miss by TR in my mind and a surprisingly tone deaf response to the current market

I shared that opinion initially but folks on TR's forum are mostly raving about it. It seems a lot of folks just want a basic calendar and were either struggling with the free version of TP (which is pretty worthless) or had nothing like a calendar at all. Now can get a decent calendar with just a TR subscription. TR's analytics and calendar suck compared to the paid version of TP, but if you had nothing before, it is a very significant improvement ;-)

Actually this was a brilliant move by TR. They are never going to be the workout log, training calendar and analysis tool for data geeks. But they can now compete with a pretty big share of the market that was either using pen and notebook, Excel sheet or only the most basic features of TP and Strava and keep them in the fold. They need to have a little something more than workouts as there are more and more options for workouts and plans in the marketplace.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about using something like finalsurge instead of trainingpeaks? it's free. I can't remember how it compares to trainingpeaks. certainly trainingpeaks has better 3rd party integration. I've just gotten used to trainingpeaks so much that the cost is worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point - I was failing to take into consideration the limitations of the free TP functionality. My perspective was actually pretty limited in the way I was thinking about it now that I reconsider - I withdraw my comments!

I am a huge TR fan so I hope this does work out for them. They are still ironing out the Calendar and improving it pretty regularly so I am sure it will continue to get better. Their customer service and interaction is top notch so I am sure the product will continue to evolve based on what the customers want.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
That TR Calendar was really a swing and miss by TR in my mind and a surprisingly tone deaf response to the current market. 90% of their customers who have any interest in that level of tracking and monitoring are already using TP which specializes in just that functionality. I really hope it works out for TR because I really like the guys, the podcast, etc. and have been a faithful customer for years, but from my perspective they really just spent a lot of money to be a beta version of TP that few people were asking for as far as I can tell.
I love it and it'll be perfect once it syncs with google cal. Don't have to subscribe or pay for anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [MattQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattQ wrote:
interesting I have noticed that on free ride but how do I change to 0

just open an ZWO file in a basic text editor - https://zwiftinsider.com/...ting-zwift-workouts/

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use TR as well and love it. It’s me against me. It’s not the interactive video game platform of Zwift, which most love as its engaging and fun. TR is hard work, but I’ve gotten stronger every offseason. Are folks making gains on Zwift or just making the offseason entertaining?

Spartan420 wrote:
I started with Zwift workouts and moved to TR. I personally love TR. I dont get anything out of watching a video game, so the gamification didnt do anything for me. I like TR for the sheer structure of the workouts.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use both. Love TR workouts but zwift allows me to engage. It makes it much easier for me to do the VO2 and Threshold intervals when I’m chasing people down on zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is just great that we have a choice between two such strong and different platforms, as well as alternative approaches like FulGaz. These are brilliant times to be stuck with winter training!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decoding and evaluating training plans is something of a hobby of mine.

TrainerRoad plans are easy to decode, which is a good thing because that means they are at least coherent.

However, there is still arbitrary variability which is always bad for athletes because it prevents analysis but is good for business because it keeps athletes in the dark and gives the illusion of secret sauce.

Fortunately, this can be mitigated through simple substitution of interval workouts for the silly workouts.

Zwift plans are impossible to decode because their workouts are not interval based.

Interval workouts are insightful and you can learn from them, for example there is less mystery as to why you fail an interval workout and interval workouts can also suggest zone changes.

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Workout Mode Vs. TrainerRoad [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I use TR as well and love it. It’s me against me. It’s not the interactive video game platform of Zwift, which most love as its engaging and fun. TR is hard work, but I’ve gotten stronger every offseason. Are folks making gains on Zwift or just making the offseason entertaining?

Spartan420 wrote:

As I understand it, you are are saying that the means of communicating your progress in Zwift is likely to stifle it?
I don't understand why this would be so. I can use my bike computer, TR, or Zwift to execute the exact same sessions. Surely the only thing that will impact my physical progress is how well I execute those sessions?
I may be misunderstanding you but it sounds like you're suggesting those using Zwift, by implication, are not taking their training seriously?
Quote Reply

Prev Next