Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift Power offline UPDATE
Quote | Reply
Has anyone heard when Zwift Power will be back online for race results? Any idea if races during this period will appear once the site is back up and working. I'm really disappointed in how long this has been going on. I work in IT and we spent a significant amount of time preparing for GDPR before the law went into effect last month. Were several weeks into this and I'm surprised they haven't gotten things worked out yet.
Last edited by: velocomp: Jul 5, 18 16:18
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Power offline [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, it's not in ZwiftPower's hands. Zwift has some work to do to get their API to work with outside parties while remaining in compliance with GDPR.

That's a bunch of jargon I don't understand, but it's what James Hodges (owner/developer of ZP) told me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of these third-party community sites that are now offline were founded on using data they really didn't have the right to access and republish in the first place. It was against T&C from day one.... so... while there's been a ton of great work done, and they're a valuable resource, at the end of the day the data wasn't theirs to use and more importantly - republish. There may have been a handshake agreement, or green light from Zwift to snoop logs, reverse engineer the webcalls from their apps, and whatever else they were doing - It was never a sure-thing without an official API and data agreements that was communicated to all users of the service/game/platform.

Just my 2c. It's a tricky one on all sides.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Power offline [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
Most of these third-party community sites that are now offline were founded on using data they really didn't have the right to access and republish in the first place. It was against T&C from day one.... so... while there's been a ton of great work done, and they're a valuable resource, at the end of the day the data wasn't theirs to use and more importantly - republish. There may have been a handshake agreement, or green light from Zwift to snoop logs, reverse engineer the webcalls from their apps, and whatever else they were doing - It was never a sure-thing without an official API and data agreements that was communicated to all users of the service/game/platform.

Actually for zwift power the user (i.e. me) had to grant permission for them to use my information, so in fact they do have that right. GDPR is essentially the right to be forgotten on the internet. The easiest solution is utilization of a user id vs email or full profile. The ID can then be linked/joined back to the source data if permission is given, but if the person removes their profile from the source data they are essentially removed from both sites assuming the secondary site doesn't store the user information as per GDPR requirements.

As for the API issue, if Zwift allowed 3rd party integration but never had a true api for them to access, bad on them.

I really love Zwift, and I think that Racing is one of the most fun parts of Zwift. But the inability to see results once your session has ended really sucks. Zwift Power gives you that and is really essential to the fun of racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you, this situation is very frustrating, and the fact that Zwift won't communicate on the subject makes it even worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
gplama wrote:

Actually for zwift power the user (i.e. me) had to grant permission for them to use my information, so in fact they do have that right. GDPR is essentially the right to be forgotten on the internet. The easiest solution is utilization of a user id vs email or full profile. The ID can then be linked/joined back to the source data if permission is given, but if the person removes their profile from the source data they are essentially removed from both sites assuming the secondary site doesn't store the user information as per GDPR requirements.

As for the API issue, if Zwift allowed 3rd party integration but never had a true api for them to access, bad on them.

I really love Zwift, and I think that Racing is one of the most fun parts of Zwift. But the inability to see results once your session has ended really sucks. Zwift Power gives you that and is really essential to the fun of racing.
I think you miss the point with your first sentence. It’s Zwift’s data. So zpower et al didn’t/don’t have any rights to it.

That said, I agree. The lack of data provided by Zwift after any ride is frustrating. Yes we can use Strava, but to get full data I have to pay for it. When I’m already paying for Zwift. Then you have the lack of any results etc. after races.

If there’s one thing they should be doing it’s this. Rather than build new expansions, how about get us the results and data that are in there.

Maybe Rappstar can talk to it a bit more??

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Power offline [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
If there’s one thing they should be doing it’s this. Rather than build new expansions, how about get us the results and data that are in there.

The one burden they won't want to take on is policing the platform. ZwiftPower can trim users from results who are pushing well beyond human w/kg. If Zwift were to offer a more official race/event standings themselves then they'd have to start booting paying customers from the result sheets. It gets messy. Trying to verify people are on accurate power.... entering their correct weight... and correct gender.... Even more difficult.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Power offline [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
BayDad wrote:

The one burden they won't want to take on is policing the platform. ZwiftPower can trim users from results who are pushing well beyond human w/kg. If Zwift were to offer a more official race/event standings themselves then they'd have to start booting paying customers from the result sheets. It gets messy. Trying to verify people are on accurate power.... entering their correct weight... and correct gender.... Even more difficult.
Maybe, maybe not.

A solution would be for the event organiser to ‘police’ the races. Surely they could implement some kind of system where the organiser can boot riders or exclude from results?

After all they must already do some kind of due diligence to allow them to be events in the first place.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still down - but I was thinking. Surely it Strava, Garmin, Training Peaks and Today’s Plan are all still receiving data surely Z Power can. Or they have to build their API better. Probably difficult when they don’t generate revenue.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Power offline [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it won’t be long until Zwiftpower is back online.

Today Zwift added an option to allow data sharing with Zwiftpower, CVR and ZwiftGPS.

To enable go into your profile, click connections and scroll to the bottom where you’ll see the option to opt-in.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Quote Reply
Zwift Power offline UPDATE [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift power is back online...
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Power offline UPDATE [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
Zwift power is back online...

what will happen to race results when it was offline?

I did a few races and really didn't have any idea of my finish/comparison/improvement but it was still a solid workout. I'd still like to see progression and comparison.

Is it known if those races are 'gone with the wind' or not?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Power offline UPDATE [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I can see the results only go back as far as Tuesday.

Which is a shame, because I won my only two races (ok, only cat C but I'm taking it) during the offline period..
Quote Reply