Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Well it means it's not representative. I care, and use current mean morning weight in weight to the nearest kg. I don't obsess over it, but if my weight changes a little, I'll update my profile.

However, I don't think you're under any obligation to care unless you're doing competitive racing a the pointy end.

I race As. And by race, I mean in the winter time I jump in A races before or after my main ride for some additional training. I sometimes finish, I sometimes don't.

Again, no one else cares. You don't care. You're not thinking about whether or not I'm a few lbs heavy or under weight in the middle of the race. That's crazy. I mean, I don't keep two bottles on my bike like I do in a real race! That's another 2 lbs lighter! Hell, come to think of it, I don't even have a rear wheel!

Actually, that does sound a bit obsessive to me. I myself might get a little more obsessive about a real race, but I'm not about riding my trainer.
I care about me, no-one else. I like Zwift to be representative of my current form within the limitations of the platform. I change my profile weight with significant changes in weekly mean weight, so it's every couple of months unless I'm less stable than normal. Hardly obsessive.

If no-one cares and you don't care, and you're not about riding your trainer, why are you using your lowest ever race weight? You're welcome to not care, but it seems you do.

Your talk of bottles on the bike and wheel on, wheel of is just diversionary nonesense and you know it.
Zwift takes into account your claimed height and weight. That is what effects the performance you can get out of your power figures. Others can also see your age amd sex for context. That's it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I'm using whatever I weigh in on Monday at for 99.9% of my riding on Zwift.

The only exception is when I've shredded myself in training the last couple of days and I need a recovery day, but I have B group sweep duty for the ST Rise & Grind workout. Then I will admittedly weight dope just to make the job easier. Immediately after the ride, weight goes straight back up.

I've done something similar. If I have a 3 hour ride in the offseason and there is a long group ride on Zwift I will adjust my weight so I hit my target power for my workout but always adjust it back before I will race. I've been told I'm a cheater, which blows my mind. It's a group ride and I'm a big guy. If the group is going to average 3.5 w/kg I would have to average 350w for 3 hours, which is crazy. I've also been told I'm a cheater for having a power meter and a dumb trainer as well... so take it for what it's worth. At the end of the day I know my weight for racing is within a pound of two and my power meter is calibrated correctly and that's better than at least half the people I'm racing against so I try not to worry about the crazy people.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Well it means it's not representative. I care, and use current mean morning weight in weight to the nearest kg. I don't obsess over it, but if my weight changes a little, I'll update my profile.

However, I don't think you're under any obligation to care unless you're doing competitive racing a the pointy end.

I race As. And by race, I mean in the winter time I jump in A races before or after my main ride for some additional training. I sometimes finish, I sometimes don't.

Again, no one else cares. You don't care. You're not thinking about whether or not I'm a few lbs heavy or under weight in the middle of the race. That's crazy. I mean, I don't keep two bottles on my bike like I do in a real race! That's another 2 lbs lighter! Hell, come to think of it, I don't even have a rear wheel!

Actually, that does sound a bit obsessive to me. I myself might get a little more obsessive about a real race, but I'm not about riding my trainer.

I care about me, no-one else. I like Zwift to be representative of my current form within the limitations of the platform. I change my profile weight with significant changes in weekly mean weight, so it's every couple of months unless I'm less stable than normal. Hardly obsessive.

If no-one cares and you don't care, and you're not about riding your trainer, why are you using your lowest ever race weight? You're welcome to not care, but it seems you do.

Your talk of bottles on the bike and wheel on, wheel of is just diversionary nonesense and you know it.
Zwift takes into account your claimed height and weight. That is what effects the performance you can get out of your power figures. Others can also see your age amd sex for context. That's it.

Yea, how about all the people that say "they don't care" instead of using your lowest weight......add 20 lbs to that weigh and embrace your harder workout. I mean, you really don't care, right??
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the occasional shittalking during a race because my HRM doesn't sync up with my Zwift computer (hooray needing to use an old Windows 7 machine due to the CompuTrainer). I get that.

I love the Rise & Grind, but averaging 280 watts for an hour and getting dropped like a rock during some segments because averaging 5w/kilo for three minutes uphill puts me in the 475w range is a little disconcerting. (Yes, I realize, #humblebrag #blessed). Last week I went skiing on Wednesday and was a hobbling mess come Thursday morning. Turned the weight down and just went for a nice easy trip around.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pink

Off with his head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

The only exception is when I've shredded myself in training the last couple of days and I need a recovery day, but I have B group sweep duty for the ST Rise & Grind workout. Then I will admittedly weight dope just to make the job easier. Immediately after the ride, weight goes straight back up.

I've done something similar. If I have a 3 hour ride in the offseason and there is a long group ride on Zwift I will adjust my weight so I hit my target power for my workout but always adjust it back before I will race. I've been told I'm a cheater, which blows my mind. It's a group ride and I'm a big guy. If the group is going to average 3.5 w/kg I would have to average 350w for 3 hours, which is crazy. I've also been told I'm a cheater for having a power meter and a dumb trainer as well... so take it for what it's worth. At the end of the day I know my weight for racing is within a pound of two and my power meter is calibrated correctly and that's better than at least half the people I'm racing against so I try not to worry about the crazy people.

When are these people calling you a cheater? During the ride? So they're checking people's profiles out during a group ride and getting upset about something? Can they see your previous weights in addition to current weight or something? This is so weird.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
trismitty wrote:
Agreed. 10 pounds is 22kg. Significant as hell.

Wrong way

And 22kg is almost 50 lbs! That is outrageous cheating mate!

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Toefuzz wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

When are these people calling you a cheater? During the ride? So they're checking people's profiles out during a group ride and getting upset about something? Can they see your previous weights in addition to current weight or something? This is so weird.

Yea it's super weird that they would check and comment on this, but it's also weird that they think 3.5w/kg is out of the ordinary for a workout without knowing anything about the rider. I see a lot of people cruising up the Alpe at 5.0+ on a daily basis which is pretty suspicious but at the end of the day most of us are on there to push ourselves and worrying about others cheating takes way too much energy when there is literally nothing at stake.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
I'd guess that roughly a third of Zwift users significantly understate their weight.

That's a very low estimate. Given what we know about cheating (example here), the lower probability of being caught, the more like most of us are to fudge the numbers a little bit. In the context of Zwift, I'd imagine relatively few list actual weights, and even fewer would over estimate weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, post ride on a Zwift Power. I made the mistake once of actually asking if there were any issues with changing weights for group rides just to make sure there weren’t any unintended consequences to doing so. I should know better than to solicit opinions from random people on the internet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My weight around supper time, I don’t adjust it each time as I’m pretty consistent. Right now, it’s pretty accurate.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
rubik wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Because that's how much I weighed when I started using Zwift.

Diversionary? Hardly. It's but another salient attribute that reinforces the video game aspect of Zwift versus the real world.

Nonsense? Absolutely. All of it is nonsense. This entire thread is nonsense. That's kind of the point!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Yea, how about all the people that say "they don't care" instead of using your lowest weight......add 20 lbs to that weigh and embrace your harder workout. I mean, you really don't care, right??

Indeed.

Plus then I could race the Bs with my new w/kg! That'd probably be a lot more fun. I might even be able to survive Richmond or Inssbruck with those guys.

I'll have to give that a try for next winter. Alas, spring has arrived and my zwift subscription has ended for this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

A lot of times the best part of rides (and some races) is the comments. They're hilarious. They've kept me riding for far longer than I would have if there weren't such constant hilarious commentary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The highest i've ever seen whilst actively training, which is about 2kg above healthy racing weight.

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've wondered this as well. I never change my weight or height on zwift.

I'm 6"4 and change without shoes on and so I put 194cm as my height. My weight, well, I only have a cheap bathroom scale and I can step on there twice within 1 seconds and it will show 174 one time and 177 the next. My weight on there has been anything from 167-179 in the last four years. 168-169 is race weight. I'm fairly consistent. My weight on zwift is 77kg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

I do a couple rides where the ride leader actually encourages riders to lower their weight on hard weeks so they don't get dropped. On a group ride, I would much rather a person lower their weight and stay connected vs. getting dropped (especially if the group is constantly slowing to allow dropped riders a chance to get back on). I understand people not wanting to mess with their weight though. There is a lot of analysis going on with ZwiftPower and I don't claim to understand it all. I just assume it's all being tracked. There is a base ride I do every week and I'd like to bump my weight up for that ride to add a little wattage without being the guy trying to ride off the front constantly. For a group ride, I can't see why it would matter to anyone, but I'm concerned I'll get red flagged in ZwiftPower for races when I'm adjusting my weight up and down every week.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift-what weight do you use? [Coffeeaddict87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"off with his head"...which coincidentally is about 10 lbs ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next