Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp wheel selection? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may just show up for the free beer!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel selection? [kidrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd go for the 808s and be done with it. But you could just get an 808 front and that would give you even more combos.

Dan
http://www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel selection? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I twice had the predecessor (maybe better?) wheels on order (Z99s) but the shop didn't meet the deadline and couldn't tell me when they would be in, so I canceled the orders. I did get the Z4s though and they are teh aws0m3!

What options did you order them with and did you get a good deal?

Matt
Last edited by: Learn: Mar 20, 07 20:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Zipp addict. 999's do it for me. Nothing faster.

That said, Pro-Lite's are pretty nice.

Here's the wheels we like the most and sell the most (this is my store by the way):

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/shop/home.php?cat=257

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel selection? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i went 606 set with a rear cover. that way I have a sensible deep front, usable in any conditions 58mm or 60mm front is ideal. Then a rear 82mm rim for windy days, courses with a lot of climbing. Calmer days, or flat courses slap on the cover and you have a pretty cool looking disk.
as earlier poster added, you could always go with a pt laced rear 808.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel selection? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom:

What are your thoughts on the Zed Tech wheels? Are people ordering them? What is the turn around time, if so?

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some non dimpled 404's and a 999 wheelset (808 front + Zipp disk). I generally use the 404 front and Disk the most. I am reasonable light generally under 70kg during race season. I think I need to ride the 808 front a bit more to get use to it as i found the draft from lorries (trucks in American) during Time trials a bit un-nerving when I used it.

I am sure I read in a post by Josh from Zipp a while ago that generally having a deeper wheelon the rear is a bit more stable. So I would go for either a 999, a 909 or 606 wheelset.

I am currently thinking of getting an 808 (or Hed Stinger 90) rear for using in overseas races as having a disk as your only rear wheel with you is not ideal if you want to do a bit of riding after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
PS, I weigh 150lbs...

I always hear people complain about a disc and wind, but I've never had an issue. Maybe that is more specifically a front wheel issue.

Maybe a 404 front, rear disc is a good fit for me?
I'm around the same weight and have used the disk/404 combo (909) for years with no troubles in the wind. The rear disk is stable....it's the front that can give you trouble. I think the 808 or 999 set, without a backup front wheel for windy days might be a mistake. I'd stay with the 909 or even the 606. If you're not stuck on the Zipps, consider the ProLite triple deal that Tom has on his link....basically an 606 set AND a disk for $2K...pretty sweet deal.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel selection? [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Davis wheelworks as ordered for me and told Zipp I need before Wildflower. I got the ceramics upgrade. (I even ordered the zed wheel bag). Zipp tires.
I did not get the colored extra since I could not see a reason.

I also ordered ceramic gears for my rear RD from FSA. they are also looking into some ceramic bearings for my front BB. Also ordered the zero gravity brakes.
I said I would never spend money on a bike like this again after I lost so much on my last one, but, here I go again. This is my Type A at work.

Latest date I got was three weeks for the wheels. I may not be any faster, but, I sure love to get toys for this sport. :o)

Glad you love your wheels since I still know spending this much money is NOT the best bang for the buck, but what the heck, my wife told me to do it. :o)

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel selection? [Bobcatbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking to the zipp factory the other day, the lead time they say for Zed wheels is 2 weeks for standard, 4 weeks for the ceramic upgrade.

And I hope Tom has some nice answers on your other questions. :o( 2 seconds for 2K. :o(

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to iTunes and download the Zipp podcasts. Great information on wheels and selections and which one you should get.

Pasadena Tri Club
Quote Reply

Prev Next