Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp wheel Pinging and creaking
Quote | Reply
I have a new 606 clydesdale wheelset which I rode two times . In my ride this morning after a seated climb I could hear the spokes pinging , after a few hundred meters it was more frequent and a slight thumping sound too . I checked the wheel it seemed perfectly true and spun it ,no wobble or anything , no binding on the brakes , no cracks and the spokes seem to be complete and intact . Any input ?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel Pinging and creaking [jaydg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normal with new Zipp wheels (maybe all carbon wheels; I just haven't ridden that many new wheels besides Zipps). Happens on every pair I've owned. I think it's just stress relief. Basically, if you think about the spoke holes being drilled and the nipples being inserted and the spokes being tensioned, the nipples are going to somewhat settle into the carbon. It will go away after a few rides. Nothing to worry about.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel Pinging and creaking [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dropped off the wheel with my mechanic . I told him its creaking maybe because the spokes are being broken in with the rim and all and the wheel is setting in as you pointed out . I asked him to true the wheel again and adjust the tension along with adding some lube where the spokes and the hubs interface . That worked before for a creaky ksyrium , lets see if that'll do the trick .
Quote Reply