Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp vs Hed - 404/808 vs Stinger
Quote | Reply
Have a set of Stinger 5's and a Stinger disc, as well as some Ardennes clinchers...love them all, they roll very smooth and handle great (Vittoria tubies on the stingers).

Just a question though regarding the difference in construction in Stingers vs ZIPP FC wheels. Why do the ZIPP wheels have a much "louder" sound rolling on the road...almost like they're on rails or something...vs the quieter stingers. Just curious, as I've ridden with a friend who had the 808 tubies and I was on the Stinger 5/disc tubie setup and it was night and day. I'm aware the difference in rear hub 'buzz' is because of how the hub is built, making the ZIPPs roll with a lot more buzz when freewheeling. Just wondering why the ZIPP wheels have that louder, distinctive sound on the road vs the Hed wheels.

Gracias!

-------------
My Stupid Blog
Gatorade EndurAlliance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs Hed - 404/808 vs Stinger [trikicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own/ have owned both and never really noticed a difference in sound between the wheels or even no carbon wheels, other than an occasional swooshing sound. Difference if there is one is most likely due to different construction and layip of the carbon. That sound the sound of said wheels is most likely not indicative of anything
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs Hed - 404/808 vs Stinger [trikicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tire Pressure?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs Hed - 404/808 vs Stinger [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does it have anything to do with Zipps being Carbon in their structure and the HED just being an aluminum wheel with a fairing? I just see the bare carbon, without much material to dampen it (less the tire) to be louder than something that has contact with other material.

Just a guess though.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs Hed - 404/808 vs Stinger [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm could be...yeah I know there's no difference in terms of how it handles, just curious why the 808s had a loud (badass) sound...mine roll quiet and smooth, no complaints at all. I do wish the freewheel was a bit louder :) But I love the Hed wheels.

-------------
My Stupid Blog
Gatorade EndurAlliance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs Hed - 404/808 vs Stinger [jhightower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the HED Jets are the wheels you are thinking about. The stingers are all carbon, likethe zips.

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp vs Hed - 404/808 vs Stinger [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah... True that.

OP- I got nothing for ya.
Quote Reply