Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp to 11 Speed Options
Quote | Reply
So, I have been trying to follow other threads on this subject, but there does not seem to be a clear cut answer. So, I have a Zipp 808 that is currently not 11 speed compatible. I am debating on going to a new bike that would have 11 speed, and need to figure out my options with my current wheelset. Here are the options I am trying to understand completely:

1) have the current Shimano/SRAM freehub changed out for a Campagnalo freehub and use an 11 speed Campagnalo cassette with an otherwise Shimano drivetrain
2) have a new Shimano compatible hub laced into the existing Zipp rim

Do either of those ideas work for sure? Do either of them not work in any possible way?

And I will say right now, paying money for an 11 speed drivetrain and running with 10 is not something I will be doing. If I decide to go with an 11 speed system, I will be running with a fully functional 11 speed system.

Thanks

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp to 11 Speed Options [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look into the Edco Monoblock. I've not used it with Zipp hubs, but it might be an option to consider.

Better Link: http://www.bikerumor.com/...gh-reynolds-cycling/

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: May 18, 15 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What year is your rear wheel? 2012 wheels can be converted to shimano 11sp hubs.

http://www.zipp.com/about/story.php?ID=496

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent my 404 to Zipp and they converted it to Shimano 11 speed.

-Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp to 11 Speed Options [Tri-Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Mark wrote:

-Mark

How much did they charge you?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp to 11 Speed Options [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Look into the Edco Monoblock. I've not used it with Zipp hubs, but it might be an option to consider.

Better Link: http://www.bikerumor.com/...gh-reynolds-cycling/

Thanks,

Very simple solution,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp to 11 Speed Options [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is not one of the ones that Zipp says is compatible. That is why I asked about my twp specific examples.

Any thoughts on the two specific examples I asked about would be appreciated.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the two options you are looking at, I think rebuilding the wheel around an 11-speed hub is a better long-term solution.

While the Campy hack is probably cheaper in the short-term, you will probably want to be able to use standard Shimano/Sram cassettes when swapping between wheels, choosing gearing for different courses, etc.

A good long-term solution that won't break the bank is to just buy a 105 or Ultegra 11-speed hub and rebuild the wheel around it. If you want to spend more, this could be a good reason to buy an 11-speed Powertap hub.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Campy 11s option. Got the freehub body on eBay. Got a Chorus 11s cassette on sale (forget where right now). This was cheaper than rebuilding the wheel to a different hub. Before doing that I probably would have just sold the set (or the rear) and bought new

It actually works quite well. I had posted previously that sometimes it doesn't shift as smoothly as with the Shimano cassette, but after adjusting the Di2 trim, I'm hard-pressed to notice the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
So, I have been trying to follow other threads on this subject, but there does not seem to be a clear cut answer. So, I have a Zipp 808 that is currently not 11 speed compatible. I am debating on going to a new bike that would have 11 speed, and need to figure out my options with my current wheelset. Here are the options I am trying to understand completely:

1) have the current Shimano/SRAM freehub changed out for a Campagnalo freehub and use an 11 speed Campagnalo cassette with an otherwise Shimano drivetrain
2) have a new Shimano compatible hub laced into the existing Zipp rim

Do either of those ideas work for sure? Do either of them not work in any possible way?

And I will say right now, paying money for an 11 speed drivetrain and running with 10 is not something I will be doing. If I decide to go with an 11 speed system, I will be running with a fully functional 11 speed system.

Thanks

They would both work. End of story.

How well they work is a whole separate issue. Campy is very slow on the uptake with respect to gearing choices, and for me that's the deal breaker. Somewhere down the road, when people no longer make high end 10 speed cassettes (doubtful), i'll have my 303 relaced onto something else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is also this option that is claimed to not require a redish: http://www.ebay.com/...talled-/171792380175

Token also makes a 10 to 11 speed conversion cassette. The main issues with most aftermarket cassettes in comparison to Shimano are noise and some potential loss of shifting smoothness.

The only difference between the Zipp pre-October 2011 188 v7 rear hub and the newer "convertible to 11" hub is that the outer NDS bearing is located located 7.5mm further out on the axle and the NDS flange was canted. Zipp won't sell the 11 speed axle conversion kit outside of their certified wheel rebuilders network.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp to 11 Speed Options [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Tri-Mark wrote:

-Mark

How much did they charge you?

It was $150 and the LBS handled everything for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp to 11 Speed Options [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the specific response. In all of my searching, I really thought both options would work, but had not found specific confirmation from anyone that had positive results.

I think the new hub and a complete rebuild with the existing rim makes the most sense. Long term it will provide the best performance and reliability.

thanks,

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you I used a Campy hub and cassette mated to Shimano Di2 11 speed and it shifts perfectly fine. The wheel is a Mad Fiber wheel and not Zipp so YMMV but it is worth trying for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp to 11 Speed Options [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
There is also this option that is claimed to not require a redish: http://www.ebay.com/...talled-/171792380175

really curious whether anyone has tried this product. This would seem to be the ideal solution.

Similar to what I did with a set of Reynolds wheels -- replace freehub body and axle spacers and it just worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp wanted $700+ to replace my Silver Hub with a 11 speed hub and new spokes/nipples.

F that..... I got Moment Cycle here in San Diego to put a White Industries Hub in with Ti Free body new spoke/nipples and correct washers.....

for under $500. The White Industry Hubs are best in this business.....Zipp Hubs? Well no comment....

My wheels are tubulars (I lover Tubulars for race day) had less than 700 race miles on them and like new - wheels were fast this weekend at IMTX
Quote Reply