Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp question and other aero questions... Yes may have been asked before
Quote | Reply
Hi All, Done a bit of a look around and Bontrager seems to have a tyre that people recommend for 808 clinchers on Slowtwitch. Trouble is in Australia, it is a bit hard to source them. Is there a next perfect/aero tyre choice people would recommend? Also have read about taping the wheel cover to the zipp instead of using the fasteners? Is it as simple as just taping to the rim? Anyone got a photo of their masterpiece? Finally.......... The horizontal aero mount between the bars for drink bottles say versus the profile design aerobottle. Any data on the difference in aero terms of the two options? Also on frame normal versus aero bottle? Cheers all,
Steno

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp question and other aero questions... Yes may have been asked before [Steno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can answer the disc cover question. I've got a home made disc cover (0.4mm ABS plastic) that has only ever been held on with tape (404 and 808). I've never had a single problem in 15+ years running it this way.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp question and other aero questions... Yes may have been asked before [Steno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good secondary 20mm tire seems to be Continental Supersonic 20mm. Most people report decent flat protection, but they do weigh 150 grams, so you are warned.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp question and other aero questions... Yes may have been asked before [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Head on over to biketechreview and check out the rolling resistence data. The old bontragers integrated very well with wheels like the H3s. I have a set and the fit is amazing. The new R4 aeros are a step backwards in terms of the tire integrating into the rim. The fit of my R4 on a Mavic Carbone is really no better than a regular tire.

I have had really good luck with the Specialized mondo open tubular. Low weight, good rolling resistence, good wear and flat resistence this summer (meaning no flats and it still looks good).
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp question and other aero questions... Yes may have been asked before [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here's a pic of my wheelbuilder cover taped to a 808 clincher. I ordered the covers without the holes pre drilled. 3m electrical tape works fine, just don't strech the tape when putting it on and all will be A OK. I had to pull the inside of the driveside cover back in towards the spokes, away from the cassette to create a gap. This was a bit time consuming, but what else are you gunna do with your spare time, talk more to the missus?. I used strips of packing tape to hold in place 6 twist ties. Stick the ties down close to the centre hole of the inside cover to help lessen the warpage. The ties are tied back around the opposite spokes on the none drive side. Twist ties for me worked better than zip ties as they didn't effect the way the none drive side cover sat against the spokes. Gotta take care not to get warpage, just don't pull the cover in too hard with the ties. It's really not that hard to do and works great. Remember, you are creating a piece of art

Tires...I just use the zipp tangentes 21mm as they came with the wheels. They seem to work great. (no numbers to prove this) No punchers to date. If the tire isn't a pig then what's to worry?
Don't know about how aero my aero bottle is vrs a mounted bottle on the flight deck....I would imagine that an aero bottle on the down tube/frame would be a major ball ache as you couldn't swap it out with the on course bottles which to me is very important.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp question and other aero questions... Yes may have been asked before [AndyD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers for the pic Andy. Makes sence and looks good.

Anyone on horizontial versus vertical front aerobottles?

or CLINCHER tyre recommendations for Zipp 808 set?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bottle - horizontal is faster, just pick up the profile aero drink plastic holder, install it backwards and push it as low as it will go. then zip tie your favorite cage to it.

for racing I like zipp tires.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply