Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp hub rubbing against Trek SC front fork
Quote | Reply
I had to rent a front Zipp wheel from racedaywheels.com due to not getting my recalled 404 Firecrest back in time for Ironman Texas. Thought I'd try out the new Zipp 404 NSW...unfortunately, the front hub rubs up against the fork on my Trek Speed Concept (2013). Racedaywheels was accommodating and swapped me out with a 404 Firecrest and the Zipp folks at the event took a picture to investigate, but I thought I'd warn others of this potential issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub rubbing against Trek SC front fork [triryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a picture?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hub rubs against a fork? Weird. Yes picture. We gotta see this.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub rubbing against Trek SC front fork [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't take a picture before swapping out, but I can illustrate with what I have now. The one picture is a 404 Firecrest and hub that works. The 404 NSW has a larger bodied hub (also pictured) which was rubbing just barely on the inside of the fork...audible and enough to slow down the wheel.

Last edited by: triryan: May 11, 16 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triryan wrote:
I had to rent a front Zipp wheel from racedaywheels.com due to not getting my recalled 404 Firecrest back in time for Ironman Texas. Thought I'd try out the new Zipp 404 NSW...unfortunately, the front hub rubs up against the fork on my Trek Speed Concept (2013). Racedaywheels was accommodating and swapped me out with a 404 Firecrest and the Zipp folks at the event took a picture to investigate, but I thought I'd warn others of this potential issue.

Thanks for the tip. I am supposed to be getting a 808 NSW at some point. Will admit even given your post below I am having a tough time understanding how the hub is rubbing the fork

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Was zipp going to get back to you about this? I'll be curious to see their response.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got my 808 front back with the new V9 hub, and I have noticed the clearance of the non-rotating dust cover is fairly tight (that bullet-shaped raised portion), but no actual rubbing with rotating parts (2012 SC fork).

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever get any communication from trek or zipp on this?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub rubbing against Trek SC front fork [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't asked for a follow-up at the event, but I emailed customer service...after saying they would forward the information to product and engineering teams, I asked them to let me know what they found out. They replied, "They are likely aware that the hub will not fit some model bikes. Most of these are likely older models and will become less prevalent as the time passes."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.. in the old days we saw this a lot with 650 size forks, as it was pretty common for manufacturers to use a 700c fork mold and then cut the legs short and use offset dropouts as that is much easier than creating an entirely new fork mold. In the last few years, there is a lot less of this as the industry has tried to work toward adopting standardized 'boxes' which can be used to represent mating parts during design and that has helped quite a bit to almost eliminate these types of clearance/interference issues.

Though it would appear that any time being saved by the industry on clearance issues like this has been spent on an attempt to develop at least 7 new BB standards per year ;-)

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply