Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp frames vs. TitanFlex frames [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is from my mid-to-late 90's memory so correct me if I'm wrong....

If I recall I think that test had a lot to do with yaw angles and after taking everything into account (supposing that the wind came from all directions equally) the Zipp was on average the most aero.

I do recall being turned off and thinking that there was no way the wind would come from the sides as much or more than it comes from the front.

Anyway.... since you are looking into bikes (and are starting what sounds like a quest) have you looked into the following:
Kestrel KM40 or Airfoil Pro
Trek Y-Foil
C4 Joker
Carbonsports Beam-bike
Lemond Boomerang
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp frames vs. TitanFlex frames [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions...i see you noticed!

I'm just busy amassing an enviable collection....even if it's only imaginary now

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend has a Zipp 2001. He says the frame is a noodle (the stays rub when he climbs), but REALLY fast. They even hid the rear brake down behind the BB, if I recall.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp frames vs. TitanFlex frames [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my experience with the Zipp, the Softride Power V and the Softride Rocketwing. The bikes with seatstays like the Roadwing, Powerwing, Y-foil, KM40 and TitanFlex are stiff. Knowing what I know now, I would take stiff over a little bit more aero. The other bikes are great sit-down bikes but for me I like standing to power over the top of hills and to give myself more circulation.

The only bikes that don't have seatstays and are stiff (in my opinion) are the Lotus and the FASTT. The Lotus has titanium embedded in the frame to make it stronger and the FASTT is just a great bike that Softride took 10+ years of development to create.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Joshatzipp may know something about this. I read that "report" ages ago! : )

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as I love the Zipps....people have NO idea what they are really worth. I'd be surprised if he got 1 bid at that start price. One just went on eBay higher then most at about $1650. Thats a good price for the seller.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp frames vs. TitanFlex frames [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in the world did you score two brand new frames? Great acquisition!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a Zipp 2001 owner since I purchased my first one in 1999 as a gift to me for finishing my first IM event. It was my dream bike ever since I saw the first ones in the early 90's. Over the next year or so I got to know the guy who hand built them all. I found out that he still had a few frames sitting around still in the boxes : ) I bought 2 of them since they were my size.

They are mine......ALL MINE!!! : )

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp frames vs. TitanFlex frames [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LUCKY! Hey who is your source. Any chance he'll make more? It's a great design that with todays newer carbon fiber technology could overcome the flaws that I mentioned earlier (weight, stiffness, fit and availability). Plus they wouldn't have to be handmade. I bet we could get them mass produced for like 100 bucks each! :) Wanna buy the patent with me? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Produced for $100 and sold for $2,300 per frame. Sounds like a deal to me!! : )

Paul
Quote Reply

Prev Next