Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp disk q? convert track to road ?
Quote | Reply
I've called zipp several times in the last few days and they dont seem to pick up. I've left messages and sent emails with no response.

Here's the deal - I have (or had) a 2005 Zipp disk. I bought it from a track guy. He claimed and all the documentation says that this should be able to convert to road.

Fast forward to now - i sold the disk (unused) and the buyer reports that his local shop says it's track only.

Anyone have any experience? I called around and everyone I talked to said that zipp hasnt made a track only disk in some time.

-----
"I do my best to slay" - Matt Pike
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp disk q? convert track to road ? [fireface] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should accept a freewheel, though it'll only have about half the threads holding it on. I don't know about cramming 8 cogs in there (it may only be spaced for 6 or 7). I think you can get 8-speed freewheels from Sachs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp disk q? convert track to road ? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an older track Zipp with a threaded side for a freewheel and fixed side. To change it to a casette Zipp would need to redo it at the factory. It cost like $100 back when. I only use it for track so I never took them up on it. The new ones you can change at home (so I am told). Bummers about no response, may be they were all at Cyclocross Nats this week. They always got back to me pretty quick. Maybe a PM to Josh on the forum might help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it have dimples? If it was a 2005, it should have. The axle assembly has to be removed, and the hollow road axle kit and casette body should then fit on. The cassette goes on the opposite side to the track cog, but bear in mind, you need the proprietary Zipp cassette body and axle kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp disk q? convert track to road ? [Timemachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah , it had dimples and I was pretty sure that the axel kit and cassette would work. I have a feeling that this guys shop is unexperienced with zipps. Hopefully he can find someone else to look at it. I'm trying to help him, but I'm in texas and he's in germany, soooo.......

-----
"I do my best to slay" - Matt Pike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that same disk, and I also have a track axle that I have never used. I always figured I could just swap them out no problem.

Zipp is usually very responsive. Maybe they shut the factory down for Christmas.

I am guessing you will have no problem with the conversion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the fact that you're working and digging to help the guy out AFTER THE SALE. Props, bro - you're a stand up dude.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes your disk was convertible either way. Depending on when in 2005 it was made, a different freehub body would be required. Later in the year, things in the hub changed, making the 05/06 freehub necessary in the later produced disks. I bought the track kit with my road disk, but it was from the later part of 05. They should be able to determine which would be appropriate for that disk.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp disk q? convert track to road ? [tospin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shop obviously has NFI what they are doing. I have the same disc as you did and use it for both. Track cog screws on to one side the other side is the side the cassette body mounts to.

You need to remove the black lock nut on the cassette side with either a 14 or 15mm spanner (cannot remember what size off top of my head).

The axle then slides out.

You then should have a carbon spacer that fits over track side thread and is secured using the track lock nut.

You can then slide in road axle and cassette boy and lock them up with two 5mm allen keys.

Then it is converted takes less then 2 minutes once you have done it a few times.

Hope that helps
Quote Reply