Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Life Expectancy - Josh??
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have perspective on the life expectancy of a pair of Zipp 404's. I have had mine 4 or 5 racing seasons with about 1500-2000 miles on them. I am about to build up a wheel with a powertap. I am trying to decide between building up my existing 404 or should I start from scratch with a new set?

thanks for any thoughts.
Scott

Scott
Southlake, Tx
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Life Expectancy - Josh?? [sdecker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are probably no good. you need new ones. i'll take yours off your hands for you. i'll even give you $100

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you'll be fine

many people ride 2000+ miles in a season, and then keep riding those wheels for 5+ seasons.

you'll be fine, assuming you've taken care of the wheels well.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Last edited by: krgregg: Mar 17, 06 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well,

I had a brand new 2004 front wheel that was unridable after one race sprint tri (bearings were shot). Others say the hubs are the best/most durable you can buy....

In general, those ultralight hubs are delicate (whatever other people tell you). Remember the saying here in the US about expensive and durable? Pick one!

Of course YMMV....

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Life Expectancy - Josh?? [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn that's crazy, the Zipp bearings are really nice cartridge bearings. Zipp has a really really simple and beautiful hub and bearing mount design. They are also really easy to replace and shouldn't cost to much. No need to send them back either I believe although a bearing press would make it a lot easier (shop should have one). I've got 3 years on my front 404 and the only problem is a dent from the damn bike box:(

Bearings in the zipp hubs are also huge compared to many other wheels so they should be able to take a lot more abuse. Bearings are so weird sometimes though.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Life Expectancy - Josh?? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tai,

I know, but I am always getting the lemons with all expensive stuff I am buying. Have had more luck with stuff that was already "broken in".

It's kind of a pattern in my life :-)

Only explanation is that something must have gotten in the race during assembly. I was so mad at that time (it happened outside of US) I tossed the hub and went "swiss". The rear I have for 3 years is fine. No complaints.

And yes, a bearing press might be a good investment to check and service them yourself.

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Judging by the numbers of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation Zipps still roving the transition areas...I'd say you haven't got much to worry about...
Quote Reply