Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Hubs and Bearings
Quote | Reply
I am still trying to decide on a set of race wheels, and after almost everyone shot down the Chris King hubs last week, I figured I would try again. So, for those of who actually have Zipp wheels or have experiences with them, can you give me an idea as to the quality of their hubs and their stock steel bearings?

Thanks,

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hubs and Bearings [Bobcatbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very high quality.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
super nice - your not going to find better hubs anywhere, ceramic or otherwise - E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned Shimano, Spinergy, Mavic and Zipp wheels. The Mavic and Zipp are the smoothest from what I observe. The Zipp are much lighter than the Mavic.

If you really want a unique wheel though, there are other nice hubs out there like White Industry, Tune, etc. I just don't think they'll out perform Zipp.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hubs and Bearings [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not that I want a unique wheel, I simply want a wheel that is of a high quality construction, has good stock bearings, and delivers good performance.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. zipp 10 up, 1 down
a wheel that is of a high quality construction, has good stock bearings, and delivers great performance.

2. zipp 4 up, 1 down
Pimp ass negro who slaps the shit outta weak bitches
come watch zipp slap the shit outta macross. by anonymous May 11, 2003 email it

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden a lot of wheels and a lot of miles. Until last year, I'd never owned a Zipp or even given one a close inspection. I ordered a used one off of ebay. When it arrived and I beheld the hub and gave it a spin, I was a bit dumbstruck. It was like fine jewelry. And it spun and spun and spun.

I haven't owned them long enough to have first-hand knowledge of their long-term durability. A good friend who is a Cat. 1 pro says he has friends who race them in crits and beat the daylights out of them ... and they're bullet-proof.

I've been pleased with the race results I've had since I got them.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White Industry hubs will get the attention of wheel builders everywhere. I used a newer H1 to build up a 404 front last year and just used an LTA for a front training wheel.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp hubs - awesome. I have 3 wheels I currently rotate through riding (Mavic Ksyrium SSC, some Reynolds with the older White industry hubs, and some Zipp 404s). The Zipps are by far the smoothest. Durability? I don't know (only had the Zipps 3 years). Have 20K on the Mavics ;)

For race wheels though, they are the best (including everything like weight, smooth, etc.)

Quote | Reply
I think you just answered your own question.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hubs and Bearings [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just expensive. :o)

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp makes great hubs, but I've seen too many back at our shop (especially considering how many we sell) to recommend them. I think they fall in the catagory of "stupid light"... meaning they need to be a bit beefier to hold up over many miles

I'll second a vote for WHITE INDUSTRIES. They spin just as smoothly as zipp, the freehub body is not stiff (like with Kings), and as the owner of 2 sets, I can testify towards their supreme durability.. even off road. They are heavier than zipp, but cheaper too. The other manufactureer that comes to mind is Phil Wood, but they may be too heavy for a race bike and the price gets steep too.

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hubs and Bearings [The Dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the thing that makes me lean towards the Zipps is that they're not to be daily driver wheels, race wheels and very rarely training wheels. I don't envision putting more than 1200 miles on a set per year. That said, after dropping major coin on a wheelset, I would like them to last.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like this is a standard warranty.

Our warranty for all products is 1 year against manufacturer's defects.

Are you seeing them bad after 1 year?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What exactly is breaking in the hub. The disassembly of the hub is amazingly simple, and if you have the correct tools, the bearings are a snap to remove. The free-hub assembly is simple. I've had to replace a pawl spring, but that is a easy, easy job. So whats left to do? - E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, the fact that you will not ride these wheels every day makes a less durable hub more practical. That being said, why buy a $15-1800 wheelset that you don't intend on riding more than just on race day? They're fast as hell and fun to ride. My "race" wheelset very quickly became my every-day wheelset just because I liked the ride so much.

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hubs and Bearings [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to be so frank, but a 1 year warranty on hubs is pretty pathetic.

I'm not sure how long my customers were riding them. Three wheels had bad bearrings (these were on strictly race wheels w/o many miles) and one wheel had a bad cassette body... which Zipp warranteed without issue. In general, Zipp has been very good about any issue we have to deal with.

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Hubs and Bearings [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree completely that Zipp hubs are very serviceable and easy to work on. But just the very fact that you've had to bother working on your hubs is an issue. My point in all this discussion is that you can easily build in a little more durability into zipp wheels at the same cost, but slightly heavier at the hub. More Kudos to zipp - thanks for making your rims availible seperately and with custom drillings.

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply