Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp Firecrest 808 carbon clincher or tubular? [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
I would go sew up for the exact same reason. Much safer in the event of a flat. Plus, if you did get a flat on a CC and you hammer away at it in the heat of the moment I can see fractures on the sidewall - no such concern with a tubbie. Only time I have ever damaged a rim was during a race repair, and with borrowed Alu tire levers.

Well, my torodial 808s were extremely hard to change a flat because of the height of the brake track. The FC 808s can easily be changed without tools. In fact, I've changed out two flats on the road and moved between latex and butyl probably twice per wheel and never used a tool on the carbon clincher. Very, very easy to change tires without levers.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 808 carbon clincher or tubular? [hankscorpio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hankscorpio wrote:
R10C wrote:
I would go sew up for the exact same reason. Much safer in the event of a flat. Plus, if you did get a flat on a CC and you hammer away at it in the heat of the moment I can see fractures on the sidewall - no such concern with a tubbie. Only time I have ever damaged a rim was during a race repair, and with borrowed Alu tire levers.

Well, my torodial 808s were extremely hard to change a flat because of the height of the brake track. The FC 808s can easily be changed without tools. In fact, I've changed out two flats on the road and moved between latex and butyl probably twice per wheel and never used a tool on the carbon clincher. Very, very easy to change tires without levers.

I have heard that as well.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 808 carbon clincher or tubular? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clincher
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Firecrest 808 carbon clincher or tubular? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, that happened to me at a Half IM. I rode 6 miles on a front flat 808 tubular and still set a bike course record and won the race and the wheel was fine. So that appeal resonates with me. As far as tossing a tubular, I change them every year even if they are only used 5 or 6 times in races, so the cost of replacement doesn't bother me either.[/quote]
Okay, fair points. Can argue all day about whether rim-riding or not is the best option for a near end of bike flat. At your level it’s probably worth the risk, but for most probably better off not to chance the small risk of banging up the rim for the sake of a few min.
I’m jaded by poor history of flats on tubs - sure every year is fine if you don’t get flats, but not pleasant if you have to change sooner. Plus equivalent (top) quality tube+ tyre costs far less for clincher vs tub; sure maybe not much if once/yr, but it’s there. You asked for votes, I’m keeping mine firmly in the clincher column! Also might not be your thing, but consider resale return too (would seem to favour CC)……
Quote Reply

Prev Next