Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Alumina base bar
Quote | Reply
Hello Forum,
I recently went through a fitting routine using the Zipp Alumina base bar and clip-on hardware. I have it set up, and I like the fit, but every time I look down at the base bar, I can't help to think that it must test slow in a tunnel.

I have a few questions regarding this base bar: http://www.zipp.com/bars/vuka-alumina/

Does anyone have relative drag numbers on that bar?

Zipp states - "Handgrips are angled upward by 5 degrees for a natural wrist position when climbing or sprinting." - does this imply that one should orient the grips of the base bar at 5 degrees in the upward direction to get the fastest orientation of the bar?

Given the suggested upward tilt of the hand grips, what orientation returns the smallest drag number? Is there an aero penally for an upward tilt of the handgrips greater than a slightly wider profile of the wing parts with level hand grips?

Is there a general rule that one could use to determine the fastest length of handgrip? i.e.. They are really long out of the factory and could be trimmed.

Do people view this bar as a tool used for fitting exercises that is replaced with a race bar once the ideal position is found?

Thanks
Last edited by: gardenvelo: Dec 6, 13 19:23
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Alumina base bar [gardenvelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use one. I like it. I don't have drag numbers.

5 deg on the grips lines the wing up horizontally to its narrowest profile. The rear edge might not be as aero as the rear edge of the carbon, but then perhaps that is slightly countered by the rear cable exit vs the bottom exit of the carbons?

If you trim your brake lever length you lose leverage, so you might not be able to apply enough brake. Also you risk your hand slipping off the end of the lever, because they are typically designed concave at the end vs convex near the axis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really want to hear this info also!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Alumina base bar [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The drag numbers are not worth worrying about. There would be minute (my-noot) differences between it and one of the $1,000+ carbon bars out there. The Vuka Alumina is the best value bar out there. I run it on my TT bike and love it. There arent' numbers because no one cares -- you have a value bar. If you want numbers, spend $1,000 on a carbon bar that will make you 5 seconds faster over a full IM race.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Alumina base bar [Whiny Will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From tunnel data I've seen (not for Zipp) - big advantage going from round basebar to something like Alumina (as you would expect), small advantage (bit over 1min at IM) in going semi-integrated (extensions and bar) vs Alumina style. Then the gains to a well designed fully integrated bar can be significant. If you can find one that fits...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Alumina base bar [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^Quantify "significant".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't find many wind tunnel tests on aerobars. I think I saw one in Triathlete Magazine where they tested a bunch of different bars including Vuka Alumina and their conclusion was that the differences were so small that it's basically a matter of personal preference and fit. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/...ed&v=xxN3Sfp1RpY

There are faster looking aerobars out there in that price range. Are they going to save you considerable time? Probably not... but they look cooler than a round bar.

One is the older Vision alloy bar and there's the Profile Design Ozero both can be had for cheap used. I recently shopped around for a new bar but decided to get a slightly upgraded one and found a nice PD Prosvet in the classifieds for $127. Another nice bar is the Zipp Vukabull which is around $165 new on eBay.
Other considerations are bar clamp width (26.0 vs 31.8mm). Most new bars and stems are 31.8. You'll find Vision bars in 26.0 and they are still usable on 31.8 stems and clips with shims. As for overall bar width just so you know Zipp measures their bars outside-to-outside so their 42cm is really a 40cm bar. So if you liked the feel of the Zipp 42cm bar you won't mind getting a 40cm bar from a different brand.

Edit: all of these bars are compatible with Vuka Clips so there's no change in fit for you.
Last edited by: sp1ke: Dec 7, 13 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Alumina base bar [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another very satisfied Alumina bar owner. They hit the sweet spot of maximum adjustability at a very reasonable price. As you spend more, generally, you get less adjustability. That reduced adjustability allows things to be smoothed more. However, the differences in drag are likely very small. Perhaps in the top levels of TTing, it matters. For just about anyone else, it's not costing you great amounts of time.

If it really bugs you, the option you mentioned of buying an integrated bar after the adjustments have stabilized for your fit is open for consideration. The cost/benefit ratio isn't real great IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Alumina base bar [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad this thread got started. I've been on the fence about buying the Zipp Alumina cockpit with the R2C shifters for my P3. I had swapped all my P2 parts onto a 2012 P3 frame so it has the alloy Vision Tri Max team cockpit. I don't really want to drop 1k on a new cockpit so I'm thinking saving that money towards a new Quarg is the move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to separate the Alumina Clip parts of the bar from the base bar in this discussion. From what I have seen and heard, the alumina clip hardware is very good, adjustable and solid. The aerodynamic differences between those parts and an integrated bar will be minimal. However, the Alumina base bar does not seem to be the most aero base bar out there. A bar like Zipp's Vuka Bull or one of the nicer Profile Design base bars could help you.

And on the issue of the handgrips, you probably could cut them to make the reach more comfortable, and I have been told that the difference between straight hand grips and ones that curve up is basically nil.

So to recap, the Alumina system is probably the best clip on aerobar hardware, although the base bar is not as aero as some more expensive competitors, although the change would in all likelihood have minimal gains.

Also take a look at this Slowtwitch article on selecting a base bar: Article
Last edited by: neutron95: Dec 7, 13 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Alumina base bar [neutron95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neutron95 wrote:
You need to separate the Alumina Clip parts of the bar from the base bar in this discussion. From what I have seen and heard, the alumina clip hardware is very good, adjustable and solid. The aerodynamic differences between those parts and an integrated bar will be minimal. However, the Alumina base bar does not seem to be the most aero base bar out there. A bar like Zipp's Vuka Bull or one of the nicer Profile Design base bars could help you.

And on the issue of the handgrips, you probably could cut them to make the reach more comfortable, and I have been told that the difference between straight hand grips and ones that curve up is basically nil.

So to recap, the Alumina system is probably the best clip on aerobar hardware, although the base bar is not as aero as some more expensive competitors, although the change would in all likelihood have minimal gains.

Isn't the zipp "bull" the carbon version of the alumina?

Quote Reply