Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 900 tubular tire width - track edition
Quote | Reply
Trying to decide what tire width to get for my Zipp discs; front and rear for the track. The discs are 20.32mm wide according the the Zipp website. The Piste Latex Silk tires are available in 18, 19, 20, 22 and 23mm widths. Do you all have any suggestions? I was thinking 20mm on the front and 22mm on the rear but that’s just a random guess. Thanks!

Edit: Pista Latex/cotton is $90 per tire, Pista Latex/silk is $118 per tire. The silk casing is marginally faster from my understanding. Either casing can be ordered in the sizes above.
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Apr 24, 19 22:00
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 tubular tire width - track edition [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which track(s)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti tempo?

Robust enough for road (sort of) I can assure you that as of 5 years ago they were latex...

Not sure now though.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 tubular tire width - track edition [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Which track(s)?
LA (Carson) VELO center.

*Rappstar* please ignore this thread since I’m 99% sure you’ll be there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either the 19 or the 20 on front. My 19mm pista evo measures out about perfect on my 5 spoke (rim measures out 20.5 with calipers)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'd agree that 20mm in front sounds fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asked my track mates and they said for those choices you want the 19mm Silk.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 tubular tire width - track edition [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Asked my track mates and they said for those choices you want the 19mm Silk.

For front and rear then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go slightly wider on the back. Not going to gain you much going narrow and Carson is a little slippery

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 tubular tire width - track edition [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So 19 and 22? Hopefully with only 8km @ 54 kph, I won’t really have to worry about slipping much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I was thinking. Now get Josh to epoxy them to the wheels ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 tubular tire width - track edition [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha that one sounds too fast for my limited budget. I was planning on Vittoria Mastik Pro glue unless there is something faster and less permanent/destructive than lacquer (I’ve heard that some trackies used to use this on their race wheels but is a great way to pull carbon up with the tub.) or epoxy. 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 19mm front and 22mm rear. Vittoria Pista Evo CL (slick, not file, tread).

Glued using Vittoria Mastik One. WIth 200psi front and 190psi rear I've measured my Crr at 0.0013.

EDIT: Crr measured *at Carson* at 0.0013.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: May 3, 19 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 tubular tire width - track edition [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woah. That sounds very low for evo's even on smooth boards.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Glued using Vittoria Mastik One. WIth 200psi front and 190psi rear I've measured my Crr at 0.0013.

Thank you Jordan. I didn’t want to be a bother last weekend so I just let you do your thing.

How is that HUUB suit? It looked good and the NoPins pocket is a nice touch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Thank you Jordan. I didn’t want to be a bother last weekend so I just let you do your thing.

How is that HUUB suit? It looked good and the NoPins pocket is a nice touch.

The HUUB suit is super nice; the pocket is by them. I've not yet done a session comparison against my Pearl suit (which needs a cleaner pocket; my own variation didn't hold up all that well) and which I'll have NoPinz do (as well as getting one of their suits I expect as yet another data point). Need to do that at some point.

The one challenge with the HUUB suit (as compared with the Pearl suit) is aligning the sleeves properly to make sure they are clean when you go into aero. The wrist grippers mean the suit doesn't "move" as easily, which is both good and bad (depending).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could find an emoji scratching his head. I have never heard of any tire on any surface near that low.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 tubular tire width - track edition [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say if you told me the special vittoria's run in the recent hour records that we mere mortals couldn't buy came in around .002 even (or slightly below) I'd believe it. Most data suggests the lowest crr track tyres are at low .002x. To go from that to .0013 is a gigantic step forward... especially for "old tech" tyres.
On the plus side, it probably means Rappstars cda is overestimated ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Trying to decide what tire width to get for my Zipp discs; front and rear for the track. The discs are 20.32mm wide according the the Zipp website. The Piste Latex Silk tires are available in 18, 19, 20, 22 and 23mm widths. Do you all have any suggestions? I was thinking 20mm on the front and 22mm on the rear but that’s just a random guess. Thanks!

Edit: Pista Latex/cotton is $90 per tire, Pista Latex/silk is $118 per tire. The silk casing is marginally faster from my understanding. Either casing can be ordered in the sizes above.

Are you getting the Dugasts? I know the national team is running them, but I wasn't impressed. One of the ones I got had a huge hop in the casing that you could feel when pumped up. They do measure true to size though.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply