Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808 with PT- cheaper alternatives?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at buying a pair of Zipp 808's clinchers with a PT in the rear wheel. Are there any more cost effective alternative wheel options that can accommodate the PT?

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 with PT- cheaper alternatives? [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much for the 808 with a PT?

I paid $1650 for a Jet 90 with a PT a few years ago.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are a triathlete, forget the 808 rear and go for a 30mm Kinlin rim or a similar Velocity rim + a wheel cover. Cheaper, faster and more "useable" in daily training.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 with PT- cheaper alternatives? [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have that exact set-up - Kinlin 30, powertap sl+ and disk cover. It is a great all around wheel for training and racing. Go through Wheelbuilder and see if they have any promos going on.

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try a Planet X 82.

Although that's a tubular.

Could always do a flashpoint wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 with PT- cheaper alternatives? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't mind Tubs, is it possible to build a PT onto a px wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes just get the applicable spoke count hub for the job.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes - I have an SL+ built into a PX 50, a friend has a Elite+ built into an 82.

Debating about getting a 101 and building it with a PT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmmm interesting, definitely a cost effective option. You can get an 82/82 PX set here for $650 and a PT pro+ for $1000, so including building the wheel maybe $1800 all told. A pair of 808's with PT from wheelbuilder is about $2,800, which I thought was a good price. As much as I do prefer clinchers and really like the Zipp wheels, I can do without spending the extra $1000.

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How difficult is it for a local bike shop to build a PT into a PX wheel? Is it any different from other wheels, and is a decent mechanic likely going to be able to do it?

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are very few races where I wouldn't use a disc, such as Kona, Monaco, Nice and maybe Lanzarote. Unless you're planning on doing any of these races, I'd go with a bomb proof rim and a disc cover. The only thing you're giving away is a weight, which shouldn't put you off. Good luck!

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 with PT- cheaper alternatives? [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your suggestion. I totally agree with you on the disc cover. However, most of the races I have planned are technical sprint distance races, or ~100km bike events. Although I still think that a disc cover wheel maybe faster for some of these races, I may want/need the option of racing them without a cover. I will probably get a cover for my rear wheel whatever that ends up being.

Thanks,,

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my LBS (in my sig) built both my 50mm wheel and my buddies 82.

I'm pretty sure they got some of the technical details from wheelbuilder though.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 with PT- cheaper alternatives? [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are very few races where I wouldn't use a disc, such as Kona, Monaco, Nice and maybe Lanzarote. Unless you're planning on doing any of these races, I'd go with a bomb proof rim and a disc cover. The only thing you're giving away is a weight, which shouldn't put you off. Good luck!

X2 And in some cases you may be surprised as to which wheel is lighter! You can go to the wheelbuilder.com site and do a virtual build of 2 wheels to see. Yes aero trumps weight but that's what the cover is for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I race 808's with a disc cover + PT hub. I find them to be a great wheelset. I've raced without the cover too and they're still FAST. I got my wired set on eBay for not too much dough.

That said for my next bike I MIGHT switch to Quark PM to save the wires

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered buying used? I'm thinking of replacing mine for a true disc/PT setup - let me know if you're interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an Flashpoint 80 with PT, does that count? I use it with the disc cover on my TT bike almost exclusively. Only rarely take the cover off to do road racing events.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 with PT- cheaper alternatives? [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keep in mind if you are thinking about doing any stand alone time trials, ( such as USCF races) you are unlikely to be able to use the wheel cover.
Quote Reply