Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808 vs. Hed 3 Carbon
Quote | Reply
This is my first post so bear with me if this thread has been beat to death. \

I just purchased a P3 Carbon and was looking at adding either the Zipp 808's or Hed 3 Carbons to the bike. They are both close in price with the Zipps a few more dollars and I was wondering if anyone could share their knowelege about either one or does it make that big of a difference when comparing the two on the road?

Thanks in advance

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. - 1 Corinthians 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. Hed 3 Carbon [FL Clyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll beat everyone else to the punch:

Everyone will tell you to get a disk for the rear, rather than a set of anything.

Unless you're looking at Kona, it probably makes sense.

That said, I assume you're looking at tubs. I'd get the 808s, but that's just me. The coolness factor is huge for me, though. Both will be fast. The 808s probably handle a little better since you don't have the trispoke effect in crosswinds.

You'll fly on either. It's basically personal preference. Which do YOU like?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. Hed 3 Carbon [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is Kona any different? Is it real windy?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. Hed 3 Carbon [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am leaning towards the Hed 3 Carbon (save a few bucks and like the look) but I just keep seeing the P3 advertised with the Zipps and the 808's seam to be getting a lot more attention.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. - 1 Corinthians 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. Hed 3 Carbon [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Discs are not allowed in Kona due to high winds and some bad experiences in the early years.

To the original poster, I'm a big fan of Hed wheels, but the 808's win the coolness factor. Other than that, I have no other reason for picking the 808's. I think the 3 spokes have greater aero advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a P3C and H3C's. It is a very nice looking combo, I'll send you pic's if you PM me your email. The HED's are bulletproof and you never have to worry about truing the wheels. But that is also the downside, if you somehow get them out of true, you are screwed. The Hed's are obvioiusly stiffer, the zipps have a bit smoother ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. Hed 3 Carbon [ezrahallam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any experiences with either of these two wheels in terms of durability? Does either have a better record? I tend to be pretty hard on my wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 vs. Hed 3 Carbon [subminuteman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have very many miles on my H3C, so no personal experience. I do know a 200lb guy who trained on his Hed 3 clinchers for three years and had no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My original statement about the disk is still true... you're probably best served by shopping for a front, rather than a set, and getting a disk for the rear. Renn, Hed, Zipp - your choice, all faster than any spoked wheel. It's just a question of how much money you want to spend. I'd give a hard look at the H3c front and a Renn disk. For the money you probably can't buy any more speed for any course you'll race (except Kona, again, not an issue for most folks)
Quote Reply