Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808 FC CC, Valve Extenders, and Latex Tubes
Quote | Reply
Folks, I'm excited to say that I have a new set of 808 Firecrest Carbon Clinchers in route. Now, I'm trying to purchase the rest of the setup...tires and tubes. Based on my research on ST and specifically the threads that pointed to the CRR testing, I've decided to purchase the Specialized Mondo S-Works Open Tubular tires and was planning on getting the Michelin latex tubes. (Thus my earlier post today on locating Michelin latex tubes...)

My question now, is that I have seen the Vittoria latex tubes have a Removable Valve Core...but it does not look like the Michelin do. Since I have never owned a setup that required a valve extension...is this an issue? Please educate me on what I don't know about this setup that I need to be mindful. Thanks!
Last edited by: tupelorunner: May 18, 11 5:12
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Value Extenders, and Latex Tubes [tupelorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Michelin latex tubes do not have a removable core, so you'll need to use the type of valve extender that will likely be supplied by Zipp with your wheels when they arrive. Personally, I despise those type of extenders. You have to unscrew the valve on the tube, then screw the valve extender on and hope that, when doing so, you don't screw the valve on the tube closed in the process. Then, you have to hope they don't leak (which you can usually avoid with some plumbers tape on the valve threads). (Note: I don't mean leak air once they're full. I mean leak most of the air you're trying to pump into the tire. Once the air is in, it's in.) Then you have to hope that your pump will make a good seal with the valve extender. None of mine seem to. They're just a royal pain in the ass if you ask me.

I always get tubes that have removeable valve cores. Then I get the kind of valve extenders that screw into the core-less valve tube, extending that tube. You put the valve core in the end of the extension and you have a normally-functioning valve that you can get to, no matter how deep your rim. These types of extenders are available from a number of suppliers. Tufo makes them. I've never tried theirs. I get mine from world class cycles (www.worldclasscycles.com). They come in various lengths.
Last edited by: Silver Comet: May 17, 11 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Value Extenders, and Latex Tubes [Silver Comet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A drop of super glue on the open valve nut and some PTFE/plumber tape should be ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Value Extenders, and Latex Tubes [tupelorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm rolling on 808 FC CC's also, well, actually 606 but I went with the valve extenders that you use with removable valves. I have the vittoria latex tubes with a 50mm tufo valve extender, it leaves a perfect length. I keep the zipp valve extenders only for my spares . . .ie butyl rubber tubes. I got my extenders at competitive cyclist. The vittoria have a 51 mm valve and work great with a 50 mm extender, but Competitive stocks 20 30 40 50 and 60.

I'm loving the Bontrager R4 Aero tires (22). I've found them to be very durable and good handling. I was fastest bike split at Tupelo King of the hill . . .hehe (i see you are tupelorunner).
Last edited by: mjcrna: May 17, 11 17:18
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Value Extenders, and Latex Tubes [Silver Comet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like the other guy said, super glue or even easier; open the valve completely up and then use a pair of pliers to crush the little nut on the top of the valve so that it can no longer screw shut. Just give it a good squeeze and you're good to go. Some teflon tape on the threads and with this setup I find the Zipp type extenders (those that don't physically move the valve) to actually work better than the other types that require a removeable core.

All this info btw is in the instructions that come with Zipp wheels. I'm just guessing that none of us ever read it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Value Extenders, and Latex Tubes [mjcrna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your great time! Yes, I was at King of the Hill, as well.

I talked with Competitive Cyclist today about that exact setup. However, I was thinking that I needed the 60mm extender with the 51mm vittoria tubes for the 808. For whatever reason, my floor pumps tends to not work well a short value stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not one to criticize spelling over teh interwebz, particularly not typos, but a pattern of mistakes I feel I must correct. It's "valve," not "value." A "valve extender" lets you get air into the tire through a deep-section rim. A value extender does not exist for Zipp wheels, as they are overpriced (you'd have to train on them for a year or more to ever get the cost-per-mile under $1). Smoke 'em if you got 'em, though...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Value Extenders, and Latex Tubes [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not one to criticize spelling over teh interwebz, particularly not typos, but a pattern of mistakes I feel I must correct.

Really? Actually, it seems that you are just the one. Or is it "teh"? Cute.

Quote | Reply
I just mean that I'm aiming to educate, not edit. I don't always go about it in the best way.

"Teh" should only be used next to "Interwebz," or in lolcats, otherwise it appears to be a typo, which I would ignore.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Value Extenders, and Latex Tubes [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. I guess I was still selling the idea of race wheels to my wife.

You know, the "value" of race wheels!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Value Extenders, and Latex Tubes [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tai wrote:
Like the other guy said, super glue or even easier; open the valve completely up and then use a pair of pliers to crush the little nut on the top of the valve so that it can no longer screw shut. Just give it a good squeeze and you're good to go. Some teflon tape on the threads and with this setup I find the Zipp type extenders (those that don't physically move the valve) to actually work better than the other types that require a removeable core.

THIS. Follow Zipp's instructions and you should have no worries.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Value Extenders, and Latex Tubes [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All this info btw is in the instructions that come with Zipp wheels. I'm just guessing that none of us ever read it.

Ha! True dat!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Valve Extenders, and Latex Tubes [tupelorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic. I have a set ordered also. I am considering the same tires. But what width tires should i be using on these wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 FC CC, Valve Extenders, and Latex Tubes [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp recommends a 21 front and 23 rear. However, Specialized is currently only showing black 23's or black/white 21's in stock. So, when I purchased my setup, I went with black 23's on front and rear. I really did not want to roll with a black/white 21 on the front and all black 23 on the rear. You can see them here: http://www.specialized.com/...oduct.jsp?spid=57650

My second option was: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX Clincher Tire 320tpi - http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/servizio-corse/#product-71

Much of my research was done searching on ST. I could not find the thread, but here was a link from one of the posts that also helped me with my decision. http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf
Quote Reply