Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808/ FP80..same wheel?
Quote | Reply
Obviously the newer 808s have dimples..but did Zipp ever make the 808 without (as the FP80 would suggest)? If so..for how long and how long ago?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808/ FP80..same wheel? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, they did not. The FP80 came about after the 808 was developed.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808/ FP80..same wheel? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jordan..thought as much but wasn't sure. Interesting that they would have made a totally new mold without dimples just for the FP lineup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think FP is implying they are using an older non dimpled Zipp mold, which ran its patent, several companies use older zipp molds. like sram too. It is zipps older mold that they can sell to builders. Another way of making dough. But those rims might be attached to "less superior" hub,s spokes, etc. Zipp is expensive but you are getting a better made hub than some of the foreign wheelsets. It saves these knockoff companies form having to build their own mold. They just buy someone else's molds then the lace it to some cheap crap and sell them at have the price. Caveat emptor, it's lower price for a reason.....
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808/ FP80..same wheel? [mfbfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, hubs and spokes aren't that complicated, plenty of the cheap isn't crap =)

In Reply To:
I think FP is implying they are using an older non dimpled Zipp mold, which ran its patent, several companies use older zipp molds. like sram too. It is zipps older mold that they can sell to builders. Another way of making dough. But those rims might be attached to "less superior" hub,s spokes, etc. Zipp is expensive but you are getting a better made hub than some of the foreign wheelsets. It saves these knockoff companies form having to build their own mold. They just buy someone else's molds then the lace it to some cheap crap and sell them at have the price. Caveat emptor, it's lower price for a reason.....

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808/ FP80..same wheel? [mfbfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgive the obvious ignorance but is Flashpoint not a division of Zipp? If so I don't think the FP hubs are likely to be too much in the crap department. Bad press, even in a subdivision of a product, is death.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FP80 is a great wheel and I run one, but would consider a Jet C2 90.

808 is like 18 pieces of carbon vs 4. something like that. It ends up being lighter, and the dimples may adda little more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
personaly.... i think you have to be loaded with money or absolutly want to ride tubular to go with zipp 808. The FP80 is 99% of the 808 and the logical choice for anyone up the the highest level of this sport... it s a awessome wheel and the best deal around right now for that level of technology.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I called Zipp because I had the same question between the FP 80 and an 808. They are the exact same shape (clinchers), the only differences are the following:

1. Weight - due to the lay up process. FP uses fewer pieces of carbon fiber, which means more material, but he said the FP actually has a higher grade of carbon fiber in it.

2. Bearings / Hubs

3. Dimples

FP are made by Zipp in the US.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real difference between the 808 and the FP80 (rim) is the layup. I forget the actuall numbers but the 808 has something like 30 different pieces of carbon fiber all oriented in a specific way to to increase stiffness, impact resisstance and weight. The FP wheel uses something like 10 pieces. IIRC the layup on a 808 has something like 50 man hours of of labor vs the FP at about 20. Again, my numbers are really fuzzy as it was along time ago when i was told them, but the result is that the 808 is lighter, stiffer, and stronger than the FP but costs more than twice as much to produce.

The spokes and the hubs are better on the 808 as well but I think just the same lighter, stiffer, stronger.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808/ FP80..same wheel? [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input guys. ST rules
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is close to half a pound (200 grams) difference in the wheelsets. To some people, that weight difference and the hub quality matters. Plus it looks like online stores sell the FP80 for about 1500-1600 per set? You can find pretty good deals on 808's for close to that.
And, of course, you have the option of tubular (which saves even more weight).
Just my .02
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808/ FP80..same wheel? [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do people both bringing up weight in discussions of aero wheels? For 99 percent of triathlon applications it won't make any difference.
Plus, the used wheel market goes both ways. I've seen FP80s on ST for $800. I would be surprised if you could even discern a difference between a 808 and FP80 wheel and so the only real difference might be longevity. Even if you used your race wheels 20 times a year they still should last longer than you do, so even that argument is a little weak. And yet, people still buy wheels for two grand; amazing.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808/ FP80..same wheel? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, but you could make that sort of argument in relation to a lot of things.
Do you think many ST'ers average 40km/hr or over on their bikes?? I don't think so. So why are they wasting their time spending money on P3C's, aero helmets, etc., when the differences in time are extremely minimal? How non-pro triathletes are losing races by a few seconds? Does it really matter if you finish your ironman in 11 hours or 10:59??
Same arguement could be made for the $250 wetsuits vs. $550 wetsuits, etc etc.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that the arguement does apply accross the board IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno - I thought the same thing for a long time - especially regarding wetsuits as I tooled around in my Ironman Instinct, bottom of the line, but it's a wetsuit - wetsuit.

Last year I ponied out the dough for an Xterra Vendetta - wow. Best money I've ever spent. More comfortable, much faster, etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why are they wasting their time spending money on P3C's, aero helmets, etc., when the differences in time are extremely minimal? How non-pro triathletes are losing races by a few seconds? Does it really matter if you finish your ironman in 11 hours or 10:59??
Same arguement could be made for the $250 wetsuits vs. $550 wetsuits, etc etc.

There are a lot of items out there that are very economical, relatively speaking. I've found the an aero helmet gets me the same as a front 60mm wheel with good tire/tube or a rear disc. Aero helmet was $100 on eBay, FP60s were $800, and a rear wheel cover less than a hundred. Tires/tubes are $50 per wheel. A very tight race top probably has similar gains. The worst gain for the money is a new frameset. Since slower riders actually experience greater overall time gain from aero equipment then the speed of a rider is irrelevant.
I can't really comment on wetsuits since I use a 15-year old QR suit that is coming apart at the neck-seam. It's still fast though.
Chad
Quote Reply