Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp 808's and valve extenders
Quote | Reply
I admit that I am a bit mechanically challenged, but I am at the end of rope in fussing with valve extenders.

Does anybody know of tubes (anywhere in the Universe) with valves long enough for Zipp 808's?

I suppose they would have to be somewhere near 100 mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [tiptopshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I've seen 80mm tubes, don't recall if latex or butyl, but they do exist. I'd bet a good google search will find something.

As an aside, valve extenders aren't complicated, what's the issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get how to get a decent pressure reading with valve extenders on my 808s- not sure about the op, but that's my biggest bugbear with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found the Zipp valve extenders to work perfectly - if you follow the instructions you should be good. Which extenders have you tried?

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [nathan j] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got 808s with zipp extenders.

You unscrew core til it locks out, put on Teflon tape, put on extender. Done.

With my Topeak pump, no issues.

You could always try the ones that extend the core if you can't get your issues solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Zipp valve extenders.

I will go back and read carefully the instructions and try again.

I mean, I am simply hoping that there is a manufacturer out there with longer that 80 mm valves. That would relieve the feeble minded such as myself some angst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80 mm are actually too short. My guess is that they would need to be 100 mm.

Thanks, though, for the thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mine can be a pain too..as someone stated above they now make valve extenders that move the core to the end of the extension so it'll be like a regular tube valve..try those out.. I've seen them for $5-7 online

John F. Ambrozic III
H & A Racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's feeble to expect a solution better than faffing about with bits of tape! Just last week I too thought "enough" and ordered tubes with removable cores and extenders with the valve at the end.

I think retailers selling deep rimmed wheel sets should be directing their customers away from the sticky tape solution...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [JackL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had problems with the valve extenders... Little bit of plumbers tape and tighten them down with a 3mm allen...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goolge valve extender PU4602.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How hard is it to throw a wrap or two of teflon tape around the threading?

You wouldn't put a faucet or shower head on without tape, would you? It serves a purpose, costs about .39/roll, and takes 3 seconds of your time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure which kind you tried, but there are tubes out there with removable valve cores that you can throw and extender on. Way better then those ones that are nothing more than an aluminum straw.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [jfambrozic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jfambrozic wrote:
mine can be a pain too..as someone stated above they now make valve extenders that move the core to the end of the extension so it'll be like a regular tube valve..try those out.. I've seen them for $5-7 online

Exactly... that is what you need. Works like a regular valve...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take your word for it on the faucet :-)

From watching the zipp instruction video a while back, I seem to remember there being a little more to it. Something about twisting the valve an extra turn so that it doesn't re-close, and gluing it.

One issue I have with the process is not so much for the tyres you inflate immediately, but rather your pre-prepared spare tube. What if you get the valve locking open/taping wrong for your spare - you only find out when you try to inflate it in a race? The other is simply the context - paying a couple of thousand for wheels that are most likely on a multi-thousand dollar bike and we're talking tape and forcing a valve open. The hassle-free solution seems to exist, but people aren't told about it at time of purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tiptopshop wrote:
I admit that I am a bit mechanically challenged, but I am at the end of rope in fussing with valve extenders.

Does anybody know of tubes (anywhere in the Universe) with valves long enough for Zipp 808's?

I suppose they would have to be somewhere near 100 mm.

i use a pair of topeak extenders and regular tubes. These topeaks are a bit special in that you can screw and unscrew the core from the end of the extender. I have had zero problems, but I guess I could see how some people might have a problem with it for some reason or another. I didn't even have to use plumbers tape and mine work fine. If I get a flat I just unscrew it off the bad tube, screw it onto the new tube, and go to town.

I couldn't get the zipp ones to work right with my 2 different pumps, they wouldn't register the pressure nor would they get a seal on the pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the longest valve stem I could ever find was 80mm. This worked well for Zipp 404's but def not long enough for 808.

I have 1080's now, and had to brave the extender world...it ain't bad! the Zipp extenders work fine. Just put a few wraps of teflon tape around the
top of the valve, and make sure the valve nut is tight in the OPEN position. screw on the extender and make sure it's tight, put it in the wheel and you're done!

note: the head of the Zipp extender is a bit wider than the standard presta valve so some small pump heads might not fit well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp valve extenders suck. Get ones that put the valve outside the wheel. I like these.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackL wrote:
From watching the zipp instruction video a while back, I seem to remember there being a little more to it. Something about twisting the valve an extra turn so that it doesn't re-close, and gluing it.

I've never used glue. I use pliers (although it can be done by hand) to twist the valve anti-clockwise an extra turn so it locks, stopping it from being able to rethread itself from general riding/road vibration.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Zipp valve extenders suck. Get ones that put the valve outside the wheel. I like these.

These are called "Tufo style" extenders, in case you didn't know. And for an 80mm rim you do not need ridiculously long extenders. Get tubes that have a good length valve rather than getting super long valve extenders. It's easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These vittoria 's are NOT like the tufos which extend the existing valve stem.With these you remove the entire old valve stem and insert the new valve assembly.And for zipp 808's you should use 100 mm -the 80 mm will barely get thru the rim opening since these are replacements NOT extenders.Yes they work superbly on Vittoria tubulars-on other brands doubtful since the entire valve assembly may not be removable.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [carbonsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to know what the answer is here, and I don't think what you are posting is right, but I'm not going to claim expertise. I have the vittora extenders pictured but use zipp because the work fine and are easy. That said, here is what I know:

If you search Tufo style, you get this http://m.competitivecyclist.com/...nders-3313.39.1.html

And valve cores aren't long. That defeats the purpose. The core is short and the base is long. If the cores were long then there wouldn't be any of these style extenders.

These Tufo style extenders are expensive and totally not worth it over purchasing really long stemmed tubes. The only time I think they are worthwhile is for using co2 refills. The zipp extenders scare me for use of on the course refill.

Discuss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+whatever on the valve extenders with removable cores + teflon tape really no big deal if you can put a band aid on your finger you're set here..

I like the Conti valve extenders (I use 2 for the 808s) with the removable cores.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't exist. Buy these: http://www.amazon.com/...ension/dp/B001M82ZHA

Allows you to open and close the valve on a normal tube. They work great.

You'll need the XL for 808s.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808's and valve extenders [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those work okay for 808s, but with a cover (or disk) and a crack pipe, I could never get it to work, (the Zipp extenders work great with the silca 90* head). Was it just me?
Quote Reply

Prev Next