Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404 clearance issue on front fork dropout, ok to shim?
Quote | Reply
I've got a 404 650c front wheel that does not want to fit my old QR Tequilo's composite fork without rubbing. For some reason, the outer part of the hub where the spokes attach (not the dust cap, but along the perimeter where the dustcap and hub meet) is rubbing the top part of the dropouts when I tighten down the quick release. However, if I leave the quick release loose, the wheel spins fine. I have another 404 of the same age that fits fine... It is like this hub is just a little wider or has a larger diameter or something... Is it ok to put a couple of washers between the dropout and the axle to give me some more clearance, but allow me to tighten the quick release? Also, why are these wheels different sizes? I can attach a picture later if what I have said is confusing... Please help me finish my vintage build-up.
Last edited by: beebs: Apr 8, 12 21:59
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 clearance issue on front fork dropout, ok to shim? [beebs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could shim it to widen the fork stance slightly. I would be careful about widening it too far, as you want to make sure there is enough axle(?) for the fork to rest on. If you push the forks too far apart it will reduce the contact area between the axle and fork, increasing the point loading. If it's only a millimetre on each side I would probably be OK with it, any more I would seek an expert opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 clearance issue on front fork dropout, ok to shim? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. That is exactly what I plan to do.
Quote Reply