Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404 + Big Pothole + 32mph = ????
Quote | Reply
I've been swamped at the office lately and haven't been riding enough. This fact has been recognized by my friends so they drag me out to our local time trial (piru) last Sunday. I dust off my TT machine put on my race wheels and head out to the race of truth. This is truly the race of truth as in now I get to find out just how out of shape I am but I digress.

My turn comes up and I go charging down the road. About a half mile into the course I ride smack into a BIG pothole at 32 mph and hear a terrible crack. DAMN! The good news was the tires didn't flat and by letting the quick release off of the front brake I was able to finish the event. The bad news is that my front 404 had a large crack in it.

I called Zipp and the nice folks there offered a crash replacement price on a new rim and since I'm getting a new rim I opted to upgrade to an 808 front rim. All they need is the hub and the section of the 404 rim with the serial number. So I unlaced the wheel, cut out the rim section, and shipped it yesterday. Now I'm left with this unique piece of art. I can't stomach throwing it in the trash... any suggestions on how to best display it.

----------

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 + Big Pothole + 32mph = ???? [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I think you should frame it. Use one of those display cases that's a few inches thick. Then p[ut it up for all to see. Make up a sweet story about it too. That would be classy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dispose of it in accordance with all federal, state, and local laws. Would you post a closeup of inside of rim?

HH

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glue the gap together and sell it on ebay as a 650 rim.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something a friend of mine did with some old scrapped rims was to convert them into a coffee table. Got a peice of glass cut that fit the inside diameter of the rim, and used halves of some other rims for the legs. Actually looked pretty decent, though I would classify it more as basement/rec room furniture (depending on your bike geekiness level!).

If you do frame it, print off some picture of a spring classic bike race crash and make a story up to go along with it. See who actually buys your story!

Chris

--
"I do not hurt on the bike, I punish."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 + Big Pothole + 32mph = ???? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Glue the gap together and sell it on ebay as a 650 rim.
Ha! Now that is funny...Good one ;)

Quote | Reply
Hi Don,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the wheel. The real question is how did your fitness hold up? You avoided the real details.

Ciao.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 + Big Pothole + 32mph = ???? [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Dispose of it in accordance with all federal, state, and local laws. Would you post a closeup of inside of rim?

HH[/reply]

The inside is just one big hollow void with what is left of the vaccum bag used during manufacturing.

----------

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 + Big Pothole + 32mph = ???? [SaskRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Hi Don,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the wheel. The real question is how did your fitness hold up? You avoided the real details.

Ciao.[/reply]

I rode the 20k TT in 31:15 which is 23.86mph average. That is about 2:15 slower than typical for me. Some of that was lost on the side of the road making sure the wheel was safe. It will take a month of hard work and a 10 pound drop to come back on form.

----------

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 + Big Pothole + 32mph = ???? [trinewbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Something a friend of mine did with some old scrapped rims was to convert them into a coffee table. Got a peice of glass cut that fit the inside diameter of the rim, and used halves of some other rims for the legs. Actually looked pretty decent, though I would classify it more as basement/rec room furniture (depending on your bike geekiness level!).

If you do frame it, print off some picture of a spring classic bike race crash and make a story up to go along with it. See who actually buys your story!

Chris[/reply]

So far a table is looking like the best idea. I know that it won't be allowed in our very traditional home. My wife would just shit!

Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a big clock?

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would make a cool nose ring---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glue to a circular piece of chip board; you now have a rear disk wheel!!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 + Big Pothole + 32mph = ???? [neptune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
put it on a gold chain ala flava flav.

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats nothing a roll of duct tape can't fix.

Use it as an architectural feature in the garden

reverse engineer it and start selling chinese zipp knockoffs on ebay

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turn it into a circular picture frame.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most aero toilet seat ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make a large wall clock out of it.
Quote Reply