Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404's tube change
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a solution for replacing a tube on a Zipp 404? I have pinch flatted 2 tubes and nearly destroyed the sidewall of a tire. God forbid I have to change one in a race - it would take 4 hands and 2 tools.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's tube change [fromthesideline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's tube change [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are the Zipp Speed Weaponry type - not Firecrest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check your rim tape. the zipp website recommends AGAINST velox rim tape as it is to thick top to bottom, and will make changing a tire/ tube more difficult. otherwise, zipp wheels shouldnt be any harder to change a tube than another aluminum 700c rim.

~sarcasm saves lives
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's tube change [Jbro1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the feedback. I went to LBS and got the 18mm tape that should have been used and it worked like a charm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fromthesideline wrote:
Thanks so much for the feedback. I went to LBS and got the 18mm tape that should have been used and it worked like a charm.

glad it worked out for you!

~sarcasm saves lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Zipp carbon/aluminum rims are the most difficult rims I've ever come across for mounting tires. Some tires do work easier than others. And after a tire has been mounted and stretched it gets easier the next time. But they are always tight. It depends on what you went with for rim tape but keep an eye on the tape as you swap tires or tubes. The tight tolerances can result in the tire bead pushing the tape to one side exposing the spoke holes and flatting your tube.

This tool should be shipped with all aluminum/carbon Zipps;) Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's tube change [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
The Zipp carbon/aluminum rims are the most difficult rims I've ever come across for mounting tires. Some tires do work easier than others. And after a tire has been mounted and stretched it gets easier the next time. But they are always tight. It depends on what you went with for rim tape but keep an eye on the tape as you swap tires or tubes. The tight tolerances can result in the tire bead pushing the tape to one side exposing the spoke holes and flatting your tube.

This tool should be shipped with all aluminum/carbon Zipps;) Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack I highly recommend it.

Bead Jacks are great but I'm not dragging one around with me during a race.

I have the same problems with one of my 404's and Mich ProRace. I'll have to check the rim tape. Hopefully that will help me too. Thanks for the thread, OP.

Jamie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through this yesterday and after I turfed the tangente tyre everything was good. Terrible tyre for a 404 from a changing point of view
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello fromthesideline and All,

http://www.veloplug.com.au/

and

http://www.veloplug.com

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404's tube change [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Neal! That is a much better option for the Zipps and lighter too.
Quote Reply