Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 400
Quote | Reply
Hi STers, have a set of zipp 400s and read that the hubs are not that good..so thinking of changing out the hubs if needed.any recommendations? thanks..
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 400 [496er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to say this...by the time you get some new Sapim's, nipples, and a good hub - then pay for them to be PROPERLY built they may not be worth the investment. Short of that I would not trust any but the highest qualified LBS build them up - Wheelbuilder.com I would think would rebuild them for you. Oh, and whats up with the hub? Should be easily changed Cart. bearings unless you have the Zipp 217 hubset (looked cool, was POS though)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 400 [Mr Chin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know which model of the zipp hubs is that but they are the ones with the carbon finish in the middle..im just trying to get reviews of that hub,whether a change is needed ;) if so which brand would be recommended..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rebuild the hub......

http://www.zipp.com/...ify/hub_timeline.php

Unless that is you have the 217.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 400 [Mr Chin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup mine is the 217 model alright..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That being the case, you would be well off even with Ultegra or any Campy hubset...then there is the issue with potentially needing to slot some hub flanges (voiding the warranty) and the build up cost...may cost less to buy some new PlanetX wheels or similar. Though they are not Zipps, your wheels are far earlier than the toroidal rims, dimples and many other things that earn the price Zipp wheels sell for....hell, you are far prior to Sapim spokes for that matter....

So...Hubs ($200ish), spokes ($120ish w/nipples), build ($150 or so - possibly plus shipping)....that gives you about $500 to rebuild (I am presuming that you pick Sapim spokes at $2.00 each, Spoke prep, alloy nipples and proper build. For slightly more money you could get a new (non-Zipp) wheelset. Sure you 'could' do it for less with some DT or Wheelsmith spokes (round or bladed)...but it is still a rim that is almost 15 years old.

Quote Reply