Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 2001 frame
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) on a Zipp 2001 frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 frame [sledgehammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A riding buddy has one for races. SAys he's 2mph faster in Tris. with it but doesn't care for the brakes and says the frame is 'a noodle.' He's a sub 10h Kona guy.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are great flatter course bikes........they are pretty flexy in the rear when you stand up ........I liked mine.....the brakes are a pain in the ass.....and the cable routing is kinda lame.

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YO...email me at innkeeper@innoncharlotte.com ask any questions you may have on the Zipp frames. I'm on my 3rd and 4th Zipp 2001 frames and will never again sell them and go back to a regular frame bike. Trust me, I've ridden 2 Treks, 3 Cannondales, Softride Rocket SE7, custom Tiemeyer TT, 2 prior Zipps and probably a few others I've forgotten about. They are awesome bikes!! Buyer beware though as they are no longer made. I'm a bike mechanic and do all my own work. They do require a fair amount of maintenance time , unlike a regular bike.

As mentioned above, I've never had a problem with the rear brake caliper, although the rear is hard to adjust if you've never done it before. The internal routing is very easy as long as you ALWAYS use new cables when inserting them and keep up with maintenance on the cable holes. I've never felt that they flex more then any other bike in the BB area and that they climb just fine (although I don't live in the Blue Ridge Mountains or the Rockies : ) We do have a few hills in central Florida (just as the people that race in Clermont) and I pass people all the time up the hills ( and give them shit about being passed by a beam bike on a hill : )

Ask away if like!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 frame [getting-old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My twins!!!!!!!

My Zipp with the Zipp 3000 wheels!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the innkeeper said..... ;-)

As long as the frame is in good shape, and all the parts are there, it's hard not to like. But you do have to be nice to it, and get to know it's peculiarities and adjustment tweaks. [If you don't have a user manual or adjustment instructions, I can send you a copy of a copy.] Very adjustable, comfy ride, aero, nice to look at (if that's important to you----and I think it is), and a bargain if you find the right one. I'm 165lbs and it doesn't flex all that much under me, and I know how to climb an average hill. And one other thing----the rear Zipp brake can be a bit noodley sometimes, so run a quality modern caliper up front if you want to stop fast!!

http://img34.exs.cx/...mage=zipp20011cw.jpg

Keith
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 frame [pezdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the use of a modern caliper up front. Infact, I am going back to a dual pivot caliper and using my Campy Deltas (similar concept of brake to the Zipp) as showpieces. But the Zipp brake would be fine for the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgot to add, you can also get some sweet custom sized and colored ZIPP frame stickers from STer = Tai. The regular stickers look too big on a small frame. Search back a few days for another poster having a replacement seat bracket and beam bolt made in titanium, if interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 frame [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A local friend has a Zipp 3001 (limited edition of 100 built) for sale. Never built, never ridden. It's just been a showcase piece in his shop, but he'd like to sell it. I believe it's a large frame with small beam. I know that if it fit me I would have bought it from him long ago.

PM me to discuss further. Don't want to hijack the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 frame [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tempting but no dice for me. Too big.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 frame [pezdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only problem I have with my Zipp 3001 is confidence that I have in the mechanics who work on her to treat her like the special lady she is. I ordered her through the Richardson Bike Mart and was very satisfied with the sevice there. Later, in Houston, both the bike shops who worked on it caused new problems almost every time they serviced her (although she did get special consideration at BikeSport located there). Now, after 2-plus years in the Albuquerque area, I've not yet found a mechanic to trust her to. Any suggestions from fellow Nuevo Mexicanos would be appreciated.
Quote Reply