Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp 11 Speed conversion
Quote | Reply

Has anyone converted their Zipp to an 11 speed compatibility? (http://www.zipp.com/about/story.php?ID=496)

1. wondering if this wheel meets the requirements (I don't know the year.)
2. the multiple "zipp dealers" I went to yesterday didn't know about the conversion process
3. it seems easier to just do this on my own/what do I need to buy
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [rTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my research you have to "re-dish" the wheel after changing the hub and axle or something like that

My local shop says you have to send the wheel to zipp, Zipp says local dealers can do it. Who knows
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My local shop did it for me. Technically, zipp says you shouldn't do it on the silver hubs; however, I haven't had problems yet. The wheel did have to be re-dished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Measure DS spoke tensions; use that as you maximum, then replace with new hub (and spokes if required).

Measuring your hub and current spokes should yield ERD, or measure with an old set of spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the 11 speed cassette to 10 speed trick by taking out a cog.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I converted an older 808 by putting on a campy hub and cassette.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But then you only have 10 speeds.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
But then you only have 10 speeds.

Yea, so what?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTF is the point of upgrading to an 11 speed bike and then de-upgrading it to 10 speeds?
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Apr 23, 15 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
WTF is the point of upgrading to an 11 speed bike and then de-upgrading it to 10 speeds?

In the context of what you are responding to I 100% absolutely agree with you, since it seems to be a race wheel and if you have 11spd might as well use it then.

But at the same time i'm glad someone was able to say he this works for one reason. For example you buy an 11spd bike or you switch to 11spd on an existing bike and you have a set of 10spd training wheels or you have a trainer wheel setup all the time with a trainer tire on it. That could quickly be another couple hundred bucks you need to spend to replace them. If your beater wheel or trainer wheel work just fine and you don't need the full range, then that is when I think it is neat that you can still make it work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you don't have to re dish the wheel it doesn't make a big difference just order a new free hub
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a good temporary fix to an issue. I would not view it as a permanent solution. I've done it with 5800/6800/6870/9000/9070. Sure it works fine, but....at the end of the day you're - sort of - downgrading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call zipp and tell them the serial# or describe the hub any they will tell you. I did this with my 2012 and they were very helpful. They needed me to take it to a local dealer who would pack it and ship it to zipp. Couldn't do it myself. It's was in the neighborhood of $260

I had ready purchased an all and carrier from a Black Friday deal so want to see f I could find some to do it. Like you, a few dealers were unaware of the process. I call wheel builder and they were super helpful. I took it to El Monte ad they which end it over for like $80 and relished the wheel.
Check out wheel builders site...they have info there. Great folks over there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the photo, it looks like that is a rear hub than cannot be converted by zipp to 11-speed.

But, if it helps, I have a few zipps with exactly the same rear hubs and I used this trick to get it to work flawlessly with shimano ultegra 11-speed (6800). Our blog post explains the why and the how. It is simple, it is cheap, and it works great:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
From the photo, it looks like that is a rear hub than cannot be converted by zipp to 11-speed.

But, if it helps, I have a few zipps with exactly the same rear hubs and I used this trick to get it to work flawlessly with shimano ultegra 11-speed (6800). Our blog post explains the why and the how. It is simple, it is cheap, and it works great:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog.htm

Way better than having to get rid of my 4K race wheels and buy new 4K race wheels.

Show me where 9 speed, or 10 speed or now 11 speed made anyone faster in a race.

Yep, I just got a used 10 speed bike so I could use all my wheels. Even converted to square taper so I can use my cranks stuff. Guess I am living in the stone ages. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were 2011 hubs used starting in Oct. 2011 that match the 2012 hub specs. Colors are supposed to be black do great but I've heard silver mentioned. These and all 2012 hubs can be converted using Zipps kit and about 2mm of redish. The pre Oct 2011 hubs have basically the same flange dimensions, but the NDS bearing is not as far outside the flange where the next newer V7 hub was extended.

After going through a variation on this conversion and redish I was looking to see whether anyone was selling Zipp hubs on eBay. There is a seller from Taiwan selling a new conversion freehub kit for the V6 and V7. It looks to come with new custom freehub, NDS axle cap, spacer and freehub pawl grease. You swap in your Zipp freehub pawls. No mention of a redish. $120 and free shipping. First one to do this please post...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a conversion one piece cassette made now (they had a stand at the British tri show) that fits a 10spd greeting, but runs 11spd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

Maybe power cranks only go to 10.

("These go to 11")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rebuilt my 10sp 808s with DT Swiss 11sp Hubs. I have never been a big fan of Zipp hubs for durability reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/product/monoblock-cassettes/

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [GregW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GregW wrote:
I rebuilt my 10sp 808s with DT Swiss 11sp Hubs. I have never been a big fan of Zipp hubs for durability reasons.

Did you do the rebuild yourself?
Or did your shop do it?
What kind of spokes did you use?
What lengths?
What spoke calculator did you apply?

thanks!

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dang yeah never heard of that before. thanks for following up with a link. I think that's my best solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought someone would have to solve this sooner or later! Awesome.

I have been using the take out a cog to 'downgrade' my 11 speed to a 10 trick. The reason for doing this? Well, having shelled out on a P5, there was no money left to also shell out on a new Zipp disc. I already have a Zipp disc that cannot be converted to an 11 speed hub, and therefore I have been running 10 speed on it. This new 11 speed single body cassette is awesome - I will be buying one ASAP! Thanks for the post.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be aware that for the edco solution, you need to buy the cassette plus you need to buy the special lockring
(they don't come together):
http://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/product/red-locknut/

If this system works for you on a zipp hub, please report back, I would be interested to hear more. And post pics too.

Greg @ dsw

--
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 11 Speed conversion [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, read that bit. My local bike shop stocks them so I will take a trip over this week and get hold of one should they have them in stock. Can't see any reason it wouldn't work? Simple but clever solution.
Quote Reply

Prev Next