Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 1080 Tubies or 808 Clinchers
Quote | Reply
Just wondering...What you would pick if you had the option between the two: 1080 tubulars or 808 clinchers. I'm aware of all of the rr data that suggests that good clinchers are faster than most all tubulars, unless you use track cement. But, would the 1080's be a faster/better choice with a fast tubie that was glued "well". Just wondering as I am torn between the two.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080 Tubies or 808 Clinchers [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to help you decide, be aware that a 1080 front wheel is going to cause some handling problems for most people in most real-world wind conditions. exceptions to this would be somewhat larger and very experienced riders in very still wind conditions.

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: gregX: Jun 28, 08 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The RR nerds will tell you that clinchers are faster. I like tubies because I can change one quicker, but also (admittedly, illogically) for the process and ritual of it all.

If I was racing for $ I'd probably go with dual 1080's in clincher, with a wheelcover on the rear.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd grab the 1080s.
I would guess the difference between the wheelsets would be very small with the 1080s getting a slight edge.
Tubulars feel better, their cost is ofsett by the decadence of riding tires that I'd have to describe as sensual. Glue is easy, and if you flat you don't have to glue on the new one to limp home.

Then I'd throw them on and never take them off the bike for several months. If i'm going to pay out for those I'm going to ride them, it would drive me insane to see them sitting somewhere. I understand saving them for race only, but personally I couldn't do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I chose the 808's in part because I like having clinchers for all the reasons that people choose clinchers and because I was a little squirrelly about a 1080 front for a lot of the races that I plan to do regularly (HI and KS 70.3, Wildflower, IMAZ). I went from 404s to the 808s and there was some getting used to the 808 front at 140 lbs, even for a good bike handler.

As a separate matter, delivery time on the 1080s was sketchy -- decision made.

Stephen
Quote Reply