Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zero to Hero?
Quote | Reply
I know alot of you guys here were ex-high school or college athletes in sport or another?

Anyone here that DIDN'T have any prior experience and went on to being F.O.P?? Come on guys....I need some INSPIRATION that it can be done!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Zero to Hero? [Tri-sg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's see, does beer drinking (high school/college) or smoking pot (college) count as athletic activity. Other than the occasional bike ride, those were the things that occupied my free time during my "formative" years. No organized sport other than freshman football.

The first inkling that I had some aerobic talent came in Army basic training when I ran a 6:00 mile in combat boots and fatigues. I was the 3rd fastest guy out of about 160.

I did not take up multisports until my late 30's. Since then (18 years) I have done fairly well almost always placing in the top ten or on the podium at 1/2 IM or shorter. I am still an IM apprentice so my results are not as good (30 out of 120).

The way I see it, I have some advantage in that my legs are "newer" without that early competition. However, I had a lot of catching up to do on training, eating, equipment, proper form, etc. I was injured a lot (primarily running injuries) the first 4 years in the sport as I gathered knowledge.

My friends from the "old" days (beer/pot) cannot believe the transformation. Only a few of them compete or train regularly, while the others, sad to say, are on the downward spiral caused by a sedentary lifestyle.

My advice, read all the materials you can find, listen to the wisdom of the "old timers" in the sport, listen to your body to avoid injury and train with people faster than you for extra motivation.

Good luck!

"You know you are getting old when you see your father in the mirror." Anon.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe Bonness never competed in an organized sport (other than offshore sailboat racing) until he was 28 years old. Did his first Triathlon in 1988 and came in 69th of 250 in a local sprint. By 1990 he was regularly placing in the 30-34 age group in Florida and National races. (Never been lower than 6th OA at that local sprint.)

You definitely can achieve FOP status, even without an athletic background. You just might have to work harder and give yourself time to develop your peak potential.

Support Crew

You're never to old to rock and roll if you're too young to die.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Zero to Hero? [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has joe ever had any coaching?
Quote Reply
Re: Zero to Hero? [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erm.....I'm really new at this.....

so WHO is Joe Bonnes? =p

Ok....so far its like 3 guys outta THE ENTIRE S.T population....maybe about 0.00001% .....

nice...I MIGHT have a chance :):)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a fat kid that hated PE class. My idea of exersize was getting up to change the channel on the TV (we didn't have remote controls back in the olden days). Over the years, my weight had ballooned to over 400 lbs. 3 years ago I finally got off my ass and did something about it. I joined a gym & cleaned up my diet. I started biking last year & logged nearly 5000 miles. Just today, at age 48, I set a PR (by nearly 2 minutes) averaging over 24 mph on a hilly time trial course, was 2nd in my age group & 6th overall (missed 5th by 1 second!!!).
Quote Reply
Re: Zero to Hero? [drgracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DAMM!! U ROCK DUDE! NICE :):):)
Quote Reply